Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 150
Debbie Posted: Tue, Feb 22 2011 5:01 AM

Hi All! I live on the Eastern Shore of VA and have been piecing and quilting for a little over a year.  I have a way of jumping into things creative with both feet, so besides learning to piece quilt tops in the last year, I already own a long-arm and love the feel of completing my work from beginning to end.  Making small quilts and wall hangings does not hold a lot of interest for me because home decor is not high on my list.  Directions for making a quilt design are guidelines for me and not usually followed closely; I never know until a top is "finished" how big it is going to be, my quilts have a way of getting out of control. I love patterns that give me an open road map to make that design my own such as 9 patch pizzaz (never could spell).

Quilting tops for others is such an honor; to be given their art work to enhance or compliment is a joy.  I would like to see my quilting business grow as my skills continue to grow.

Debbie

• | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 5:08 AM

Hi Debbie welcome to the club.

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 8:51 AM

Hi Debbie, welcome to the club.  Amazing that you are already with a long arm.  I am so jealous.  I just have no room for one at this time, course there is also the money issue, those are not 25 cents.   Jump in and talk with us and share what you have learned.

Granny M

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 9:19 AM

Welcome Debbie.

I love the eastern shore.  I live in the Blue Ridge Mtns of Va.  Awesome that you have a long arm...I too love to quilt my own tops but have found that I can't stand long enough to do my quilting at a longarm due to health issues.   I would love to see pics of some of your work.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,544
Points 417,019
gini replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 10:39 AM

hello debbie and welcome.  i will look forward to seeing some of your quilts    gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 150
Debbie replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 2:45 PM

It is a small world, I am originally from Salem, Va!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 2:49 PM

Nana, with my longarm, i have an office chair on wheels that i can scoot from one side of the frame to the other.  I have'nt done a lot with it yet as  i am to tall for the frame the way it is. My husband has promised me he will have some extensions made for the fram but  I will not be holding my breath, blue is not my color.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 150
Debbie replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 2:49 PM

Granny M, you wouldn't believe my quilting room. The long-arm sits diagonally from one corner to the other, my sewing area is on one side, and the cutting area is on the other.  All of this fits in a 12x13 room.  They are expensive, but I have a big support system in my husband and he said go for it! 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 150
Debbie replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 2:53 PM

Vivian, you might try want I did with my cutting table that was to short; it is up on bricks that we had laying around the farm. They are pretty, but my back loves the taller table.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 3:27 PM

I know, there is a lot of things I can do.  I just jerk his chain from time to time otherwise he thinks I can do everything on my own.  We do want them to feel needed don't we?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 3:30 PM

I bought extensions for my cutting table that one of the other ladies had her husband make.  Just a stack of 2x4 cut out in a circle with a depression in the center and it lifts my table to just the right height.  I am thinking i'll leave the quilting frame for a bit as I think I will be doing a lot of close work and sitting will be perfect.  when I am ready to do a lot of stippleing or meandering, I'll put it up on blocks or something.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,025
Points 16,160
Judy Lee replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 4:42 PM

Hi Vivian,

You don't have to wait on your DH to raise your table, got to HomeDepot and get 4 x 4 fencing post and have them to cut them for you.  I started with 4 inch tall pieces for each leg and it worked wonderfully.  Judt make sure you tuck them sot they don't get kicked! LOL, that is how I invent new words!!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 6:20 PM

I'll have to go into the snow pile at home and dig out some blocks.  I know they had some 4x4's they used for something and they should be long enough.  DH was talking about getting some adjustable extensions made.  I may just have to remind him.  Sitting is good, but sometimes up and down keeps you somewhat limber.  Gettin' older y'know.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,340
Points 113,590
Linny t replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 7:54 PM

Welcome, Debbie.  Sounds like you have a free creative spirit and are a born quilter.  Can't have a better combination than that!  We'd love to see pictures of your work.  Did you post any yet?

Linny T

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 441
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 9:43 PM

Hi Debbie,

Welcome to the club. You already own a long arm quilting machine, wow! Have you been to QNNtv yet? There is a show called "Quilt it, the Long Arm Quilting Show". They have lots of tips for the long arm quilter.

Toledo, OH

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use