Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 1,950
Marcy Posted: Sat, Feb 19 2011 11:31 AM

I'm excited to find this website.  I'm new to quilting ... sort of.  I'm 41 years old and just made my first quilt top.  My mother has quilted for what seems like forever to me and my aunt are teaching me how.  I have very little patience though, so I'm just machine piecing tops right now and sending them off to be qulted.  Hope that's not cheating, but with my lifestyle, that's all I have time for right now.

I'm a missionary living in Thailand and I am back and forth to the states often as well, so don't have a lot of time to do hand quilting.  I do have one that I'm working on, but it's been in a bag for quite some time.  I hope to work on it and finish it this year.

Blessings to you all.  I'm looking forward to getting to know more of you on here, especially while in Thailand and needing folks to talk to.  I'm also looking forward to learning much more about quilting from all of you experienced ladies.

Marcy

• | Post Points: 185
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Feb 19 2011 11:46 AM

Welcome, Marcy!  I believe there are plenty of quilters here who send their tops out to be finished.  Don't feel guilty about that.  It keeps them employed!!!  Some of the gals here hand-quilt their tops (wow! I say), others use their domestic sewing machine, and some have their own mid- or long-arm machines.  There is a group that is practicing free motion machine quilting together.  You might like to visit them to learn more.

Congratulations on your first top!  I saw it in the gallery, and I think it's lovely!

If you are looking for friends to chat with while you are abroad, you certainly found the right place!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,228
Points 112,235
Linny t replied on Sat, Feb 19 2011 1:01 PM

Welcome to you Marcy.  No, it's not cheating to send your top out to be quilted.  Not at all. 

There's tons of experience on this website.  Don't be shy to ask, because we love to help. 

God bless you and your missionary experience...and your quilts :) Post pictures when you get a chance.

Linny T

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Sat, Feb 19 2011 1:18 PM

Glad you're here, Marcy.

Sending your quilts out for quilting is not cheating by any means.  In the Amish community there used to be (don't know if it is still true) people who did nothing but mark quilt tops for people!

We are all here to help if you have any questions, so just ask away.

Pat

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,482
Points 176,813
Marie replied on Sat, Feb 19 2011 1:32 PM

Marcy welcome and ditto to Nancy's post.  You will not be lonesome if you stick with this group, you'll be glad you found it!  Please join the Fear-No-More Free Motion Quilters Group and look forward to quilting your own quilts one day.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,064
gini replied on Sat, Feb 19 2011 1:49 PM

welcome marcy,  sending quilts out is not cheating, it is expeditious.  hope you enjoy the site and join us here in forums often     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Sat, Feb 19 2011 1:57 PM

Welcome Marcy,   Wow, Thailand, we will want to hear all about that.  You will sure have lots of people here to talk to.  We are getting so global, there are people on here from South Africa, England and Austrialia.  I have probably left out someone, so I will here about it.  And that's OK

Glad to have you with us.

Granny M

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Welcome to the family Marcy.  You will find answers to just about anything here.  Just ask.  I too saw your posts in the show and tell gallery and they were very nice.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Sat, Feb 19 2011 6:34 PM

Marcy

Welcome to the club.  I hope you enjoy your time with us and drop in to chat often.  I would love to hear about your missionary work in Thailand and about the country itself.  God bless you in your work.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,131
Points 28,615
Wendy replied on Sat, Feb 19 2011 8:50 PM

Welcome Marcy,

We would love to here about your ministry in Thailand.  I, like Richard am a Christian ministry leader of a quilt group ( one of three actually) at our church  in Ogden Utah.  If you need anything just let us know.

In Christ

Wendy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Sun, Feb 20 2011 8:01 AM

Hi Marcy, welcome to the club.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Sun, Feb 20 2011 8:43 AM

Welcome Marcy

You will have a great time here!  But I have one bit of seudo wisdom for you, any tool used for sewing or quilting is cheating!  If anyone is using any tool...that is cheating!  I use a longarm and have a fabric cutter which make my life and sewing easier. I have been told over and over that modern technology is cheating (I don't have my horse and buggy anymore either!), I think it is ingenious and makes my quiting better and easier.  Sorry for the rant but felt that I must share.  Whatever tool you use that you are comfortable with and however you choose to have it quilted, YOU are still its maker.

Judy Lee

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 1,950
Marcy replied on Mon, Feb 21 2011 7:22 AM

Thanks for all of the welcome posts.  On the run now so no time to reply specifically.  Off to do more quilting with my mom.  :)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,817
Points 43,784
Eileen replied on Mon, Feb 21 2011 7:59 AM

Welcome, Marcy! Glad you found quilting - and us :-)  Thailand seems a world away - I hope some day when you have a chance you can tell us about your experiences there, as well as show off more of your quilts. It's great that you have two family members for teachers.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use