Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 34 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana Posted: Sun, Feb 13 2011 10:50 PM

Which would you buy .....   a Kindle or a Nook and why.....    Need recommendations from people that have used them.   Please help.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Sun, Feb 13 2011 11:13 PM

Nana

here is a website that compares the two you might want to check out-

http://www.thenookvskindle.com/

My cousin has the Kindle and loves it- I don't have one but I was thinking of getting the kindle because I could order from Amazon-

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,478
Points 362,142
Kris replied on Sun, Feb 13 2011 11:46 PM

Nook all the way Nana.

You have more options as far as places to get books and you can download books from the library for free. Barnes and Noble offers a free book every Friday and if you bring your Nook to a B&N you get lots of in store freebies. I got a coupon for free drinks the last time I took my nook to the store.

You can also lend/borrow books from other nook users. You both don't have to have the device just the nook software which is available for many platforms.

I've been into ebooks since 1996 and I have to say the nook has been my best experience. I also have a Sony Reader (gift) and sold my Kindle (the original one).

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 626
Points 13,135

I use the Kindle on my phone but after reading Kris' post I am going to see if I can get the Nook for my phone. The Kindle was free and I have gotten many free books for that on my phone as well. I am going to try and download the Nook for free as well. I will report later as to my success. I love reading books on my phone. I have a Droid.

Cumberland Gap, TN

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Mon, Feb 14 2011 9:59 AM

Kris

Do you use your Nook to read outside.   Is it a problem?    I do like the ability to share books with others and some of the other features.   My one concern was being able to use it outside ....   I love to read on the deck and outdoors in general.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Mon, Feb 14 2011 10:01 AM

Marlene

Thanks for the link.  I had checked out several of the sites that did reviews on both of them but wanted to get some reviews from my friends.   I trust you guys....not always so sure about the reviews you read online....LOL>>>  anybody can write a review..doesn't mean they know what they are talking about....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Mon, Feb 14 2011 10:38 AM

Kris

Thanks for the great info- so do you get all your books from Barnes and Noble then?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,478
Points 362,142
Kris replied on Mon, Feb 14 2011 3:21 PM

Nana:
Do you use your Nook to read outside.   Is it a problem?

Nana,

yes I use it to read outside. The "pages" look like a normal book page. There is no back light so it's easier on the eyes. I read on my iPhone at night (DH doesn't like my book light). 

The Nook Colour is backlit and it just like reading from a computer screen. Don't like that.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,478
Points 362,142
Kris replied on Mon, Feb 14 2011 3:25 PM

mars92:

Kris

Thanks for the great info- so do you get all your books from Barnes and Noble then?

No I don't Marlene. I buy them where they're cheapest. I used to use a Palm Pilot eons ago and the Palm format was everywhere. Barnes and Noble bought the Palm reader store so it's easier for me to just stick to that format. The Nook also uses the secure Adobe format. The Adobe Digital Editions software is a free download.

I use B&N, Books On Board, eReader.com, Fictionwise, eBooks.com, Borders.com and a host of others that don't come to mind right now. I also use the public library a lot.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

I bought Dave a Kindle for Christmas on Judy I's recommendation.  He loves it.  I bought the $189 one.  DIL has the $139 one and loves hers as well. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,812
MNnancy replied on Mon, Feb 14 2011 8:58 PM

DH and I share a Kindle.  Well, he has lots more time to read than I do currently, so he's started to call it his.  We both love using it, indoors and out.  We also bought the cover with the light which is very nice for reading at night.  Randy gets a kick out of finding books that range from free to $2.99.  He's discovered some new authors he now follows.  I just go ahead and download full price books that I've read reviews on.  I'm reading "The Dirty Life" by Kristin Kimball right now - big city girl learns about sustainable farming when she moves to the country with her "keep it local" boyfriend.

I've never used the Nook, so I can't make any comparisons.

I hear Borders Books is going bankrupt.  I don't think they got into the ebook business.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,995
Points 64,470
Robin replied on Mon, Feb 14 2011 9:09 PM

Well Nana,

I'll add to the confusion for you.  My dh and dd both are kindle lovers.  They use them all the time.  They love the book selection and the fact that they don't have to leave home to get the next book. 

My DH did a lot of shopping before we bought dd her's for her 16th.  They are both avid readers and are very picky about books.  DD was depressed to learn that Pride and Prejudice was a quarter and the latest teen novel was more.  She said it was totally unfair.  Her daddy then had the chance to explain domain to her.

In discussing the other readers my husband thought the all had pluses but likes amazon best.  He feels like the nook color is a bit overkill unless you were reading magazines, which he believes is a waste,particularly for quilters.   I've thought of downloading kindle to my laptop which is fairly small and light weight.

Hope this helps.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,478
Points 362,142
Kris replied on Mon, Feb 14 2011 9:23 PM

MNnancy:
I hear Borders Books is going bankrupt.  I don't think they got into the ebook business.

Borders has an ebook store and they mainly sell the Sony reader. They don't have a dedicated reader of their own.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Mon, Feb 14 2011 9:25 PM

Everyone

This is some really great information.   I think I am even more confused then ever....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,478
Points 362,142
Kris replied on Mon, Feb 14 2011 9:26 PM

Robin:
He feels like the nook color is a bit overkill unless you were reading magazines, which he believes is a waste,particularly for quilters. 

I agree that it's over kill as a reader but it seems to be more of a tablet like the iPad Perhaps they were trying to give Apple some competition. I prefer the non-colour version without a backlight.

Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use