Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 445
Linda Posted: Tue, Aug 25 2009 9:19 AM

A while ago I had asked your help with a Lambie theme quit and with your suggestions have made one with an applique Lamb (got the pattern from a coloring book - good suggestion!) on it made from "minkie".  My children are doing a "neutral" nursery as they do not want to know the gender of the baby.  I made the quilt using 8 rows of 7 half / rectangles (Now there's a challenge for a new quilter)  would like to do a scalloped edge - but again am looking to you - experieinced quilters for your suggestions.  I have seen tools, but don't know which would be the easiest to use.  Any suggestions?  Thank you all in advance!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Linda,

I have never done scalloped edges, they are pretty.  I am guessing you are talking about tools for the scalloped edges?  I'm sure you will get lots of diffrent opinions and good luck with you new project.  I hope you will post a picture of your baby quilt, I would love to see.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 445
Linda replied on Tue, Aug 25 2009 11:17 AM

Thanks Spudgrandma - Yes I am referring to the scalloped edge tools - I have seen one at JoAnn Fabrics, but am not sure - I also have seen them at quilt shows, but didn't pay attention since I wasn't interested at that time - you know how that goes!  Anyway, I can finish the regular way, but since this is all neutral colors and only half-rectangles, I wanted to make it a little more interesting.  I'm a "plain" machine quilter so I cannot put in any intrigue with an interesting quilt design, altho' I intend to learn how to do that too!  I promise to post a picture if it turns out cute.  I LOVE the lambie - so soft! (That;s (minkie) not allot of fun to work with either)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Hi Linda--

The simplest "tool" for scallops is any household item you can find that is the size you need.  I've done scalloped edges several times and usually just trace out the design on freezer paper and cut it to fit. You need to decide how wide and deep you want the scallops to be, then measure the quilt's sides and play with the shape of the scallop.  I've used cups, saucers, even small jars if I wanted little scallops.  Does this make sense?  I do have a circle cutting tool that I could use, but find that I usually have just the right size object in my kitchen.

Kissimmee, FL

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

The minkie is really soft, I put minkie on the back of a lap quilt I made for my MIL who has cancer and she just loves it.

I see that Joyce has given you a great answer to your question, she is a wealth of information.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,328
Points 241,687
Thea replied on Tue, Aug 25 2009 12:18 PM

Linda,

Joyce has helped you very well... but if you want a tool - a ruler to go by - both Eleanor Burns and Fons and Porter have them... I have both and have used both - they are very easy to use... I fold the quilt in half and lay the ruler down from the center out and make adjustments...

I think the ruler they sell at joAnn's is the Fons and Porter one... I am not sure which EB series has her doing this type of border but i will see if i can find it for you.  I have it tivod on my television so it might not be on QNNtv yet but I will look it up - sometimes the ones they show here on TV are a couple years old - i will get back to you in a little while.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,328
Points 241,687
Thea replied on Tue, Aug 25 2009 12:37 PM

Joyce, I am sorry I looked through the videos and couldn't find the one i wanted  - you might try EBs site - quilt in a day... I am sure I saw it within the last year on our programming on TV... so it may not be released for here yet...

I used the rulers though and they were self-explanatory... or use the freezer paper method...both are good.  i just like the rulers as they gave me more of an edge to cut against and I need a solid edge...lol... my hands don't do well sometimes...

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use