Top 10 Posters

Countdown to MQ 4 Begins

Page 60 of 100 (1489 items) « First ... < Previous 58 59 60 61 62 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,488 Replies | 50 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 44
Points 880
Patricia replied on Mon, Apr 11 2011 10:14 AM

Terri - you had better look at the picture again, the trianglesare to be sewn to adjoining sides not opposite sides.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,127
Points 28,535
Wendy replied on Mon, Apr 11 2011 10:58 AM

Carol,

your colors are wonderful.   I think that you need to go back and look at step ten though. 

step 10 should form a triangle.                                            

like this                               

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 788
Points 20,025
Carol replied on Mon, Apr 11 2011 11:25 AM

Patricia Schlindwein:

Jeanine - I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think you had better check that little piece that we had to do 72 of, I think #10,  I am pretty sure you sewed the second piece on wrong.  It is suppose to look sort of like wings. 

I tried laying out the pieces in a pattern today and my idea is very close to yours, I hope we are close.

Jeanine, don't feel lonely - I did them wrong, too!!  Can't believe I sat there and put that second triangle on the wrong side of the square!  Worse, I looked at all the pictures, and never noticed !!  When you said "odd looking pieces" - I thought, yes, but that's why it is a mystery, we can't guess how those odd pieces go until the end. Oh well, let the charity quilt go for now, and take off 72 little triangles and re=sew!!  My DH looked at the picture - my excuse is that the picture is notyclear, but the drawing if perfectly clear, I was just careless!!  Anyway, he said, "did you  take that picture?"  I'm notorious for blurry bad piictures!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

But gals, just think of all the extra practice you are getting working with your triangles an extra time to get them set the correct way.  :o)  Easy for me to say, sitting on the sidelines and cheering you all on, right? 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Mon, Apr 11 2011 4:46 PM

Carol:

Jeanine, don't feel lonely - I did them wrong, too!!  Can't believe I sat there and put that second triangle on the wrong side of the square!  Worse, I looked at all the pictures, and never noticed !!  When you said "odd looking pieces" - I thought, yes, but that's why it is a mystery, we can't guess how those odd pieces go until the end. Oh well, let the charity quilt go for now, and take off 72 little triangles and re=sew!!  My DH looked at the picture - my excuse is that the picture is notyclear, but the drawing if perfectly clear, I was just careless!!  Anyway, he said, "did you  take that picture?"  I'm notorious for blurry bad piictures!

You probably just made the mistake to help me not feel so dumb!  I did get mine ripped out and sewn back so I'm good.  It's as if it never happened.  On to the next mistake...I mean step.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 84
Points 2,115
Leah replied on Tue, Apr 12 2011 1:38 PM

Finaly made it to the fabric store to get another 1/4 yard of the light to finish this weeks steps.  New lesson...read cutting instructions over and over, lol

Leah

Leah

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Tue, Apr 12 2011 6:25 PM

Leah:

Finaly made it to the fabric store to get another 1/4 yard of the light to finish this weeks steps.  New lesson...read cutting instructions over and over, lol

Are we having fun yet?  :-)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 84
Points 2,115
Leah replied on Tue, Apr 12 2011 7:34 PM

Jeanine:

Leah:

Loving this project!!

Leah

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Tue, Apr 12 2011 8:50 PM

Jeanine:

Well, apparently I can't count.  I finished step 12, and where it says 18 finished units, I have 23.  So I went back to step nine when we made those 4-block pieces used in step 12, and it says 18 units there, but I have 23, so now I'm guessing the extra triangular units I added to the five extra 4-block pieces are probably going to be needed somewhere else, so it's froggin time for me.  Tomorrow I'll get it all pressed and start playing with the puzzle pieces.  Glad I had extra time this week to putz around with this.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 7:11 PM

MNnancy:
Well, apparently I can't count.

On one of the first MQ's I ever did, I cut extra pieces on some of my fabrics thinking it would be nice to have if I made a mistake.  Unfortunately, I got confused and thought I had not cut enough on some pieces so cut up a bunch more and ended up with about 8 extra blocks!  Not enough to do anything with but enough to have taken a lot of time to cut and sew.  Since that experience, I never cut extra and I never make extra blocks!

Southwest Florida

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 9:09 PM

MNnancy:
Tomorrow I'll get it all pressed and start playing with the puzzle pieces.

I think I have figured out two 12" block designs.  I'm guessing we will alternate those. 

I'm wishing now that I had used my multicolored floral border fabric within the quilt itself.  I don't think it looks all that great with the other fabrics anymore since it introduces so many new colors as well.  I may have to play with some other border ideas.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 4:18 PM

I have been playing around A LOT with fabrics today.  (It's cold in MN again)  I love my border print so much that I think I'll save it for a different quilt.  I found some fabrics in my stash that go beautifully with this border material, but I didn't have enough of those for this MQ, so I think I'll either use them in a second, slightly scrappier version of this same quilt or in another design altogether.  Either way, I'll pick out a new border for this first version of the MQ4 even though I don't have anything that is perfect.

This is only the second mystery quilt I've ever done, and I think I've now learned to pay more attention to the yardage amounts for important clues.  I think you want to make sure to have interesting fabrics (color/design) for the cuts that need the most yardage.

Some of you who have done more of these mysteries, do you have other secrets to share for the overall success of a mystery quilt?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 4:32 PM

I was going to wait until the quilt was done before I even tried to find a border.  I didn't find anything in my stash so far that would work.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,814
gini replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 6:38 PM

SIGH, there are no secrets in my life, i'm married to a talker.  he blabs anything and everything he knows to anyone who hesitates, stumbles or goes "huh?". and if he doesn't know it,  he makes it up.   the man loves to start rumors to see how long it takes to get back to him.    he's headed off fishing next week with a buddy, who i offered to pay, if he would take sam off my hands for a day or two.  my ears need a rest.

i rarely pick the border fabric when i am getting the fabric for a quilt.   i take the finished top to the shop and let it tell me  what borders it likes the best       gini

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Apr 15 2011 5:12 AM

Very Important!

When joining your 4 patches in Step 13, be very careful that the placement of the colors match the sample exactly. 

Southwest Florida

Page 60 of 100 (1489 items) « First ... < Previous 58 59 60 61 62 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use