Top 10 Posters

Who loves to combine quilting and machine embroidery?

Page 4 of 7 (99 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 98 Replies | 18 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Sat, Mar 12 2011 10:12 AM

hi jean, welcome      gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Sat, Mar 12 2011 12:40 PM

Good day Granny M. and Jean:

Great to hear from you two ladies!  I am contemplating buying a new upgrade to PE Design, but I will have to re-learn how to properly digitize designs for sure.  I'd like to do that - but I'm not sure if I have the time.

The sun is shining here in Calgary today also - which is a true blessing...beautiful reminder that Spring is really coming.

Have a great weekend you two.

Kim in Canada

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Sun, Mar 13 2011 7:06 AM

Thanks Jean,  we don;'t seem to get many vendors for our little quilt shows locally.  I think they all go to the big Paducha show and can't find thier way from the western part of the state to the eastern.   I am also retired, isn't it great, busier now than ever.  Would be great if someone got something going in the emb group

Spring is here in my part of the world, how do I know, the frogs are singing.

Granny M

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820
Quiltless replied on Mon, Mar 14 2011 1:13 PM

I just finished a quilt on Saturday that had 42 blocks of embroidered wildflowers.  I really like embroidery and quilting combinations. 

I tried to post a photo in galleries, but it didn't take.  I'll try again another day.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 765
Pat replied on Mon, Mar 14 2011 1:33 PM

Just found this thread - no pun intended, and would love to know how to embroider/quilt finished blocks.  I just purchased the Bernina 830 and am not very familar with all of the wonderful things it can do.  Any instructions or places to look for a quide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

Pat

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Mon, Mar 14 2011 2:44 PM

From one Pat to another---

The Bernina website has lots of info.--classes, projects, webinars, etc.  I use the site so much that I have a desktop icon for it!

Pat

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Mon, Mar 14 2011 7:12 PM

Pat

I am green with envy....the 830.  I would love to have this machine.  Now if my bank account would only agree.....LOL>>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 121
Points 1,825
Ann W. replied on Mon, Mar 14 2011 10:05 PM

Jean,

A friend of mine Teresa just went out tonight and bought a Brother SE400 embroidery machine. I am teaching her how to quilt . So now I am the one that has to learn the new machine so I can also teach her how to use it. LOL..

Hope it won't be to difficult. She is wanting to learn enough by Christmas so she can do some embroidery on things for Christmas gifts.

If you have learnt any tricks will you please share them with me.

Ann

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Tue, Mar 15 2011 12:12 PM

Hey Pat!  Really?  I didn't know that.  I am going to check it out for sure.  Even though I own a Brother embroidery machine, the Bernina is compatible so I'm thinking this website will be helpful to me.

Kim in Canada

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Tue, Mar 15 2011 12:15 PM

Other Pat - welcome to this thread!  There are so many ways you can embroider your quilt blocks.  I have a few projects in the gallery - which you could take a look at it you like.  They are crazy quilt based embroidered quilts.  Quick, easy, fun and colorful.  (You just have to click on me to take me to my profile and see the projects I have listed in the gallery).

Kim in Canada

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Tue, Mar 15 2011 12:54 PM

Kim--

Let me know if you find the Bernina website helpful since you don't have a Bernina.

Pat

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 121
Points 1,825
Ann W. replied on Tue, Mar 15 2011 12:59 PM

Hello Kim,

Thank you for having your quilts in your gallery. I am also new to embroidery and looked at your quilts. I will definitely be doing some of them. That is once I learn how to use the machine. LOL.

First thing I have to do is go to Joann's tomorrow and buy some stabilizer. That is one thing we forgot to buy yesterday when we got the machine.

To bad we can't use something else instead of having to spend all that money out to either wash it away or tear it away.

Ann

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 22
Points 335

Ann,

I think you will have good luck with the machine. I made samples of the various stitches and they are very nice! It is good to make a sample of the

letters so you and Teresa will know how they will stitch out-- the size I mean,

Good luck,

Jean

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Tue, Mar 15 2011 4:28 PM

Ann:
If you have learnt any tricks will you please share them with me.
   Ann there is only one trick to mastering that machine.  Sit her down with the manual and the machine.  She can ask questions but she has to do the work.   My friend JR and I both bought Brother Quarttro 6000 D on the same day, she just doesn't read instructions on anything.  It was crazy for a a while until I went to her house, marked the manual with the places of what she wanted to do and stood over her while she did it.  Turned out just fine.  Things went great until she misplaced the manual and called in a panic, but that is another story.

It is really not hard, the machine does the work.  Hooping correctly may be the biggest hurdle.  Have fun, I love my machine.

Granny M

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 121
Points 1,825
Ann W. replied on Tue, Mar 15 2011 6:21 PM

Thank You Granny,

I will say one thing about Teresa. Once I show her something she picks it up fast. I showed her how to safely use a rotary cutter and she cut up enough squares to make 5 quilt twin size tops. She started by making a 30"x30" wall hanging and is moving up in size. Then she made rectangles out of some of the squares and made her own design for a quilt. next I taught her how to make half square triangles out of one set of squares she went home and made some windmill blocks and others and made another top. I showed her how to do some free motion quilting on my sewing machine . She doesn't have the foot yet for her old machine. And she went to town on it and even wrote her name and did other things with it. So I know she will  learn it fast.

It's just she wants me to learn the machine and keep it here . Its her way of saying thank you to me for all the time I'm taking to teach her and I won't allow her to pay me. She knows I would love to own one but just can't swing it on our income.

Will definitely practice the hooping part.

Ann

Page 4 of 7 (99 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use