Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 76
Points 1,035
Linda L. Posted: Sun, Jan 23 2011 10:13 AM

Hello. All!  I have been a member for a while but am just getting into the forums. I have enjoyed reading them the past few days since we have been "snowed in" here in Ohio.  I love to quilt, but I also love to quilt on my vintage sewing machines. Does anyone else out there use a Singer Featherweight 221, 201, or a (gasp!) treadle machine????

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,574
Points 30,594
Kelley replied on Sun, Jan 23 2011 10:18 AM

Welcome Linda.. I no longer own any featherweights.. ( used to have 5...lol.. ).. I do have a treadle but dont sew on it.. I have a modern Janome that I love and sew on.. But I do love featherweights .. they are just beautiful machines and such work horses..

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,610
Points 418,114
gini replied on Sun, Jan 23 2011 11:12 AM

hi linda, welcome,  i learned to sew on gramma's treadle, with her standing over me.   i have several featherweights, and use one of them for classes.    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Jan 23 2011 11:16 AM

Welcome Linda!  I only have one machine, and there's nothing "featherweight" about it, so I'm considering buying an inexpensive machine for travel.  Glad to have you with us here at QCA.  I hope you'll post more - including pictures!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,763
Points 180,463
Marie replied on Sun, Jan 23 2011 3:07 PM

Welcome Linda, I only have the one machine, Janome 7700.  I traded my 6500 when I purchased it but wish I had kept it now.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 626
Points 13,135

I too own a treadle (sp?) but don't sew on it ...not even sure if it is possible to sew on it. I know nothing about that machine except that it has a beautiful cabinet...oh Lord that is probably a sin to you...LOL

Cumberland Gap, TN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

MNnancy:
so I'm considering buying an inexpensive machine for travel

Nancy - that's why I bought my Babylock BL9.  A lot of the gals that come to sew at the LQS for our Humane Society sew days have smaller Janome's.  I almost bought one of those but then the other LQS had this Babylock for $99 - a bargain I just couldn't pass up.  Just last week I was able to buy a 1/4" foot for it so now I am in hog heaven. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,132
Points 28,645
Wendy replied on Sun, Jan 23 2011 3:17 PM

Yes!

I own a singer treddle. It sews like a charm. It was my great grandmothers. She sewed everything on  it and taught me how to sew on it at a very young age. It still has the original leather belt on it. When I moved  it up stairs from down stairs a few years back, I unfortunately lost the bobbin case. I can't find one to replace it. If you know of a place that I could get one, I would appreciate it.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Sun, Jan 23 2011 3:24 PM

Hi Linda welcome

[Ava, Missouri

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 365
Points 4,075
Liz K replied on Sun, Jan 23 2011 3:31 PM

I use an older machine to piece.  I found that if I use several layers of masking tape as a seam guide it is more accurate than my 1/4" foot on my newer machine.  I use my featherweight for retreats from time to time.  Own 3 right now.  One my son was suppose to paint for me but he rarely does what he says he will do.  I also have a table I got at an auction for $4 - no one else knew what it was.  needed the top re-finished but works great.  I do use my grandmother's treadle from time to time.  Told myself once that I would use it to piece to try to expend more calories but that did not last long.  I keep it in case we loose electricity.  I actually used it a lot in Jr. High and High school.  Got so enthusiastic once that I threw my back out using it.  The things we do for our craft!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 365
Points 4,075
Liz K replied on Sun, Jan 23 2011 3:35 PM

I have a 6500.  Bought it used on eBay.  I like it.  Used to own a Pfaff with embroidery but never used the embroidery so I sold it and bought the 6500.  I miss the built in walking foot though.  

Linda, Forgot to say welcome in last post.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 76
Points 1,035
Linda L. replied on Sun, Jan 23 2011 4:38 PM

Wendy,

The best place I have found for vintage sewing machine parts is  http://sewingmachineparts.net   The man who runs it is very helpful and is willing to take the time to talk to you on the phone and is very good at translating words like "thingamajig" into the correct part that you need!   My biggest problem in using the treadle, which has a fantastic stitch,  is once I start a seam, if I have to stop to straighten out material, etc, I can never get started back sewing in the correct direction!  It always goes backwards a few stitches before I can get going the right way again!  Any advice?????

Oh, and Robin, not a sin to admire the beautiful cabinet of your treadle - that is how I got started using vintage machines!  

And thanks to everyone who has replied to my post!  I was shocked to get so many replies.  I think I am going to enjoy this club!  Quilters are just the best!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 76
Points 1,035
Linda L. replied on Sun, Jan 23 2011 4:41 PM

Ouch - hope your back is all better now!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 76
Points 1,035
Linda L. replied on Sun, Jan 23 2011 4:43 PM

Rhonda, sorry I got your name wrong in my last post. Apologies!   You wouldn't consider changing your name to Robin just so I won't look so stupid, would you?

Linda

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 626
Points 13,135

Linda:

Rhonda, sorry I got your name wrong in my last post. Apologies!   You wouldn't consider changing your name to Robin just so I won't look so stupid, would you?

Linda

Oh Linda...no worries...I have been called much worse!!!

Cumberland Gap, TN

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use