Top 10 Posters

So if you had to evacuate because of a forrest fire, what would you take?

Page 1 of 4 (58 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 57 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti Posted: Fri, Aug 21 2009 8:15 PM

Stopped quilting to watch a new fire just NE of us.  VERY strong wind out of the NW, so at least it is not blowing directly towards us.  We can only see the billowing smoke, but the neighbors on the hill above us have reported seeing flames. (with binoculars)  It is extremely windy and extremely dry.  The Dept of Natural resources is already dropping water and fire retardant on it.  But with the wind, this is going to be very difficult to control.  So,  the yearly fire season question comes to mind.  What would I take.  Dog, photos, sewing machine, quilt projects, favorite fabrics.  Favorite craft books. 

I don't think I will be sleeping much tonight. 

Patti

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Stay safe Patti.  I would take my pictures and any mementoes that have sentimental value and maybe a machine so I would have something to do, everything else is replacable. 

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

boy that's a tough question...I think that I would take...hmmmm....can't think...depends how much time I had and if I had somewhere to stay...I have never had to worry about any kind of natural disaster...well we did have the ice storm in 01/98 and then the flood in 04/98 but we were able to stay in the house both times...I will have to think

Ontario, Canada

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 134
Points 3,225
Pamella replied on Fri, Aug 21 2009 8:59 PM

Hi Patti,

I'm pretty new here and have really enjoyed reading the forums.

I'm in a rural area between Carson City and Reno. We've been in this house for 10 yrs and have been in your situation twice. The first time what to take was a thought, what would I take and were is it, mental inventory. There was heavy smoke and wind but not horrid wind like we get.

The second time, I was at work and got a call from home. The boys were out of school for the summer (HS yrs) and it was windy. In this area high profile vehicles are often prohibited. Anyway the boys called me and said there was a little fire up on the hill behind the house and it's growing really fast. I had 1 driving but they wanted me home. It takes 10-15 mins for me to drive home from work. By the time I got there the fire had come down the hill and had a home engulfed. The The smoke and ash was so thick it was hard to see and breath and I had my younger son outside keeping watch for anything that might catch. I got ready to evacuate. We had no power (I think they turned it off). I packed an overnight bag for myself and hubby, he wasn't home and the road shortly behind me.

I grabbed the pictures off the wall, (family and my Bob Byerleys) wrapped them in my quilts (finished or not) and put them in the trunk of my car. We have a fireproof case for important documents, that went into the car and I was ready. Nothing else was important enough and I needed room for my hubby, dog, and bird cage (parakeets). The boys were already packed when I got home. Both times the wind shifted and ran along the hillside burning up shrubs. and dried grasses. Between the two fires only the 1 house was destroyed.  The most important thing is to stay safe.

Pam in Reno

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,715
Points 248,502
Thea replied on Fri, Aug 21 2009 9:06 PM

I lived through my house being burned to the ground and all we got out with was ourselves.  We did find a lot of things after the firemen left that were saved.  I know for me the animals and my DH and myself - nothing else would I worry about... it is all replaceable but once a person or animal is gone you can't replace them. 

It is one of the hardest things to go through. It changed me a lot.  I have lived through hurricanes - Hugo - earthquakes in Japan - blizzards - NY - tornados and ice storms here in OK.  As long as we are safe, that is okay so please stay safe...

Since you do have somewhat of an advance warning you can plan... but don't worry about taking it...My prayers are with you.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,547
Points 417,049
gini replied on Sat, Aug 22 2009 12:08 AM

this is easy,  people first, animals second, and  if you have time, pictures third.   nothing else matters.  i lost a brother-in-law and toddler niece in a house fire.  the only thing that mattered was  that two of our nieces  were saved.    they lost their dad, sister, dog and cat.    a photo album was the hardest thing to reconstruct for the girls.  we put a call out to all friends and relatives to send any pictures they had for the girls to have something to remember their dad and sister.   mementos, clothes,  things, nothing matters, really, except saving the people. we were blessed that we have the two girls and that we got to help raise them, but  we could never be a good  substitute for  their dad and sister.      gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

So true Gini. I try to send copies of all my pictures to my two girls so if anything happened we would still have most of the pictures.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,547
Points 417,049
gini replied on Sat, Aug 22 2009 12:34 AM

great idea, i wish we had done that.   gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 61
Points 705

Patti,

My question is - Why do you live in the forest? If I lived in the forest, and a fire came near my house, I would have to take it all. I hope fires give you lots of warning, because I would need it all, all my quilting room, my computer, pictures, bed. All of it.

Happy quilting!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

And those of us who grew up in/near forests, Linda, would ask why anyone would want to live where's there are no trees! LOL!

Gillette, WY

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Sat, Aug 22 2009 7:57 PM

Earlier this year there was a fire in the wooded area behind our home.  There was not any immediate threat as the fire dept was here but I wanted to be ready in case we were told to leave so started piling things up in the living room.  I learned that in moments of fear you can't think clearly and quickly and that a written list is important.  After everything was over, I made a list, in order of importance, of what to grab in case of evacuation. It is now posted on the side of my refrigerator. 

Southwest Florida

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Patti, I hope you are safe and will check in when you get a chance. Your in my thoughts.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,053
Points 369,262
Kris replied on Sat, Aug 22 2009 10:14 PM

Patti,

I hope you're OK. Try not to work yourself into a frenzy. It's difficult to think of what you should take but I agree with Gini. Just save yourself and your family. Since you have time to prepare, make sure important documents are safe. If you have important computer files consider saving them online so you can access them from anywhere.

If you take the time now you'll be better prepared should the worst happen and get out safely.

Take care.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Sun, Aug 23 2009 12:23 AM

I don't live in the forest, but close.  Our area is mostly open with scattered trees.  We have fireproofed our area as much as possible, no trees or large shrubs near the home, land scape a lot with rocks, mow the brush for about a 100 feet out.  Eastern WA is much different from Western WA.  We are the dry side of the state.  Trees mostly along creeks and north slopes.  We have a log house with metal roof.  If we ever do lose our home, we will rebuild with something non-flamable.

Patti

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,715
Points 248,502
Thea replied on Sun, Aug 23 2009 12:25 AM

Patti - I hope it doesn't come to it that your house catches on fire but if it does remember that it is only material things and they can be replaced.  I will pray that it doesn't come to that for you!

Page 1 of 4 (58 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use