Top 10 Posters

Singer Featherweight

Page 5 of 13 (194 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 193 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Sandy Hicks:
Course I'm not sure that being in the same class with Spud and Judy make me un-weird!

You are a charter member of the BSC club, aren't you?! ROFLOL!

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Jo Ann Simmons:
Thanks ladies for ensuring me I am OK!!!

Gee, Jo Ann, I'm not sure that we said you were OK <snicker, snicker>; we just implied that the weird-o's all do the same thing! Blonde Space Cadet Club is growing by leaps and bounds! :-)

Gillette, WY

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 740
kwhite51 replied on Mon, Sep 14 2009 11:06 PM

Masufa, Looks right to me but know that you can put your foot up on the level part so that your  insteep or even your heel makes the contact with the part that goes up and down .  What ever works for you!  If all else fails I would take it in to  a reputable store and ask if that was an original part of if it maybe was transfered from some other machine.   I have a machine from the early sixties with the same type of control on it .   You should get  it checked out because you wouldn't want to burn out your motor with it going too fast.!  I mentioned your problem to my husband and he said that it could possibly have a short in  the control foot  and it could be advancing  too far ahead  on the reostate.  Have it checked out !

P.....s I work with shoes or barefoot.                                                                                              K White

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 171
Points 4,518
masufa replied on Tue, Sep 15 2009 4:46 PM

K, it is the right foot for the machine, my machine is from the early 60's and this foot is the one shown in the manual. I had the machine serviced right after I bought it so I think I just need to practice more control.

Masufa

99.9% of the time barefoot

Masufa

Klamath Falls,OR

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

masufa123@yahoo.com:
my foot peddle it the one with a little button on one side that you push to make it go I have to take my shoes off and use my toe. Then it really takes off, I have to learn more control because right now it only has one speed FAST.

You know, I just had another thought. Maybe the foot control needs to be cleaned. It may be sticking/sticky/not going because it has dirt and grime in it. I think I'd take it to a sewing machine repair person and see if s/he can clean it. It shouldn't cost very much.

Gillette, WY

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 171
Points 4,518
masufa replied on Sat, Sep 19 2009 10:24 PM

I just had to share my great find today hubby and I went garage saleing and while at one garage sale I noticed this little black box with a bunch of thread all jumbled up on top so I had to check it out and what to my surprise was a 1949 black featherweight in the case with all attachments in mint condition. The lady said it had belonged to her mother and she wanted 75.00 for it I offered her 50 and she said sure. My hubby was standing there saying what do want that old thing for I could hardly contain myself until we got to the car to tell him what it was really worth. Then he starts saying things like well who are yo going to sell it to .....SELL IT!! is he nuts.  I'm so excited

Masufa

Klamath Falls,OR

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,603
Points 247,032
Thea replied on Sat, Sep 19 2009 10:26 PM

Congratulations on your find - and no if I had one i wouldn't sell it either... Good buy!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Sat, Sep 19 2009 11:23 PM

Wow! Ya done good, Masufa!

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,499
Points 417,324
gini replied on Sat, Sep 19 2009 11:35 PM

nice find masufa,  happy quilting with your new baby.  gini

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Sun, Sep 20 2009 12:44 PM

Masufa, what a fantastic find.  It's really hard to luck up on a FW where the seller doesn't know its value.  Congrats

Southwest Florida

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 25
Points 635

Hi. I am new to all of this, so please bear with me. My name is Christine, and I love to Quilt. I also love to sew, and I have....... two treadles. A Singer and a Davis. I love to use them, because they make such nice stitches, and sound wonderful. I am interested in getting a Feather Weight, but I don't know where to get one.

Christine

Christine  CA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Hi, Christine! I welcomed you on the UFO Giveaway thread, but I'll welcome you here, too. :-)

As for the FW, sometimes you luck out and can buy them at yard sales. A friend on my quilt list found one at a yard sale this summer and she paid $10 for it! Can you believe that? Someone here, in fact I think it's earlier in this thread, found one this weekend for $50. You can look on ebay for them. I did purchase one for my aunt, but the description and what I received were slightly different. For instance, there was no mention of an order, and this one smelled like it had been in a basement for years; and there was no mention of the chipped paint. I was able to buy a little bottle of black car paint and fixed the chips. I wrote to the Featherweight guy (can't remember the URL, but I can find it if you need me to. I think it's www.featherweight221.com) and he told me he uses car paint. I'm not familiar with craigslist, but there may be something there, too.

I think I would do an internet search and see what you can find. You might also keep an eye on the classified ads in your newspaper. Sometimes they show up there, but they usually aren't listed as FW but as little sewing machines.

I know that others on this list will have great suggestions for you.

BTW, I, too, have a treadle. It was my grandmothers and has a shuttle as opposed to a bobbin if I remember correctly. Obviously, I haven't used it in 40 years!

Gillette, WY

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 25
Points 635

Thank you for the warm welcomes. I will take you ideas, and really start looking around. It seems that back east is where you can find more opportunity for items of that nature. But I love antiques! I guess thats why I love quilting. So many memories with Grandma, and relatives!

Christine  CA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Mon, Sep 21 2009 3:21 PM

I learned to sew on a treadle, with all the bells and whistles.  I would love to have one now.  I loved the way you could control the speed and also all the marvelous gadgets.

I have a featherwight in pristine condition.  All the orginal parts, oil and even the needles.  It is a dream to sew on, like you said it is marvelous for straight stitching.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Mon, Sep 21 2009 6:05 PM

Hi Christine.  Don't know if I've welcomed you yet, so Welcome!  I have a FW and I love it.  I've been checking Craig's list for treadle machines and I have noticed a couple of FW's on there so be sure to include Craigs in your search.  The good thing about finding them on Craig's List is that you can see it before you buy it, unlike E-bay.  Good luck and let us know what you find.

Southwest Florida

Page 5 of 13 (194 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use