Singer Featherweight

Page 2 of 13 (194 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 193 Replies | 11 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 740
kwhite51 replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 11:36 PM

I met Mr. Lyle a few years ago at the Chicago Quilt show.   I found him most informative and entertaining.  Now my friends look for him and I have e-mailed him about my featherweight  machines.  I haven't decided if I want him to look at one of my machines or just take it in to a local sewing machine store to check  my latest purchase out .  I bought my last featherweight  only to find out that it belonged to a famous person in my cities past.  I feel quite honored to be the owner of this machine and I surely don,t want anything to happen to it on the way to him .  I have a child with health issues and its hard for me to get away.    I really don't want to put it in the mail  because of its fame.  I,m  just  at odds.  What should I do? 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 11:50 PM

Hi Jo Ann

Welcome to QCA.

I have a Featherweight also.   My hubby always beats me to it.     He likes sewing with it ,so do I.

Anita.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 740
kwhite51 replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 11:59 PM

Gini,  You mentioned the card table that comes with the featherweight.  I went to a city wide rummage sale a few years ago  and I saw one, I bought the ladies'  sewing machine and when it came to the table she just about begged me to take it for $10.00 and I told her my husband would kill me if I came home with another table.  At the time I never thought I,d ever want a featherweight but the machine  that I bought from her has some issues and so  I broke down and decided to get a featherweight and then when I found out how much those tables were selling for  I could just kick myself around the block a few times for not getting it.   To rub salt into the wound the woman was selling everthing to move to the senior living home where my mother is a resident.  I since asked her about thte table but she did manage to sell it that day.  My  bad!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,446
Points 127,674

I noticed that you only had a couple of posts and I wanted to say Hi KWhite and welcome to QCA.   

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 1,135

I think I would really have a problem shipping a machine like that also.  I would probably wind up at a local store and watch them like a hawk while they looked at it.  This sounds like quite a find for you, congratulations!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

I was at  Singer Castle on Dark Island...it is in the Thousand Islands on the St.Lawrence River...upper state New York...what an amazing place to visit...you can stay there for $750 per 4 people per night...I loved it and want to stay there one day..

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,446
Points 127,674

Looks like a fun place Helen, but I did not see why they call it the Singer Castle, but it looks very interesting.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,541
Sandy H. replied on Wed, Aug 19 2009 9:47 AM

kwhite51:
I really don't want to put it in the mail  because of its fame.  I,m  just  at odds.  What should I do? 

If you don't need to use the machine right away (since it sounds like you have others) maybe you can just wait until you are able to take it to Mr. Lyle.  I'd be concerned about letting just anyone touch my FW and it's not famous.

Southwest Florida

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

it was the castle of the singer sewing machine company president and director..fredrick bourne

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,446
Points 127,674

Helen Bell:

it was the castle of the singer sewing machine company president and director..fredrick bourne

Thanks, I saw where it was built by Bourne but did not realize he was connected with the singer company. It looks like a great place, I think castles are fascinating.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,446
Points 127,674

Sandy Hicks:

kwhite51:
I really don't want to put it in the mail  because of its fame.  I,m  just  at odds.  What should I do? 

If you don't need to use the machine right away (since it sounds like you have others) maybe you can just wait until you are able to take it to Mr. Lyle.  I'd be concerned about letting just anyone touch my FW and it's not famous.

I have another blonde question..... I don't know too much about FWs and I tried to read back through to find out, but who is Mr Lyle???

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,541
Sandy H. replied on Wed, Aug 19 2009 10:02 AM

Spudgrandma:
but who is Mr Lyle???

I think Kwhite will probably have to answer this, but I think he is a well-respected FW dealer/serviceman in Kwhite's area.  I've never heard of him either, but we have a guy named *** in this area that is well known for his FW abilities.  Most everybody around here takes their machines to him for service.

Southwest Florida

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,541
Sandy H. replied on Wed, Aug 19 2009 10:03 AM

Ok, so my local techs name is Richard, but most people call him ***.

Southwest Florida

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,446
Points 127,674

Thanks Sandy that is kind of what I thought but it almost sounded like he was someone others knew about.  So I was wondering if it was a FW thing... lol

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

I have the card table for my FW, too. It was my mom's. I don't know if it's original or if she had it built. I should probably look at some point.

As for send the FW my mail, I don't think I'd be comfortable doing that, either.

Gillette, WY

Page 2 of 13 (194 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.