Top 10 Posters

Applique Quilt Question

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
75 Posts
Points 1,750
megan.clinton posted on Tue, Dec 28 2010 7:47 PM

Good evening all,

I am wanting to work on an applique alphabet quilt for my son, however, I want the applique and fabric to have some meaning or interest to him, (I Spy/Memory quilt thing). So my question is....do you recommend I purchase (gasp) all the fabric at once or can I just buy it here and there and use a unifying sashing to bring the whole thing together? My goal is to do a block or so a week and just buy fat quarters and stuff as I go.

Thanks ladies & gentelmen for your help!

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
151 Posts
Points 3,075
Answered (Not Verified) Cathie replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 8:14 PM
Suggested by Joan L.

I personal find it easier to buy all the fabric at one time, that way I have everything there and would save time.

Cathie     Mt Joy pA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,649 Posts
Points 135,957

Sometimes when I do something like this I buy a little at a time you never know when you will see something else that would look good, then I do tie it all together with sashing and borders.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 500 Contributor
Female
264 Posts
Points 2,260
Libby replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 8:53 PM

Something like this I would pick up fabric here and there, a little at a time. Much more variety and you may never know where you'll find a piece that you have to have for the quilt.

Libby

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,702 Posts
Points 436,420
Nana replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 8:54 PM

Both ways will work fine.  I tend to buy everything I need for a quilt top at one time so that I have it all available whenever I decide to work on it.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
243 Posts
Points 6,220

megan.clinton:
I want the applique and fabric to have some meaning or interest to him, (I Spy/Memory quilt thing).

I made an I Spy quilt for my grandson a few months ago.  I had seen some information about doing an I Spy and decided it was a good project to undertake.  I found an "I Spy Swap" where you send a number of squares, and you get that number back that are all different to give you a greater variety.  I ended up with a really great selection to make the quilt interesting and all I had to worry about was the sashing and backing etc.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:01 PM

Finding fabric is half the fun of a quilt like this.  I did a bug jar quilt for my son and we would find fabric over a period of several months and it was like a scavenger hunt.  We started out with the "bug" theme and he ended up finding all sorts of fun stuff to put in a jar such as different animals, cartoon characters, baseballs, fish, etc.   You probably won't find everything you need in one place.  I would recommend taking some time to explore your options.

Not Ranked
Female
38 Posts
Points 690
Kelly replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:18 PM

What about useing some of your sons old shirts and pants for some fabrics.  It will be fabric he would reconize and feel more of him in the quilt.  My daughter loves the quilt with some of her old pants in it.

Kelly

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,295 Posts
Points 413,979
gini replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:50 PM

i rarely buy all the fabric for a quilt at one time,  and i rarely buy collections.   i like to pick my own fabrics to go together.   sometimes i will hunt for months for the perfect fabric to go in a quilt.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
75 Posts
Points 1,750

Hi Grandma Sal,

That swap sounds like what I need! Do you know where the site was and if they still do that?, I found one online at http://fabricstashclub.com/page.php?page=swap, but I am not sure if it is legite or not. Thanks so much for your help!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
75 Posts
Points 1,750

Ohh Kelly, I like that idea, maybe I can fussy cut some of his old shirts and pajamas! Great idea, thanks!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
243 Posts
Points 6,220

megan.clinton:
Do you know where the site was and if they still do that?

I think you have to be a little careful about the swaps... you could spend time picking out the fabric you will use to send out and then the person who organized the swap doesn't follow through, or takes a long time.  I found the swap that I did through a blog I found by doing a google search using "I Spy Swap" as my key words.  Once I found this blog, I scrolled through her posts and saw all the positive feedback people were leaving about swaps she had started in the past.  After I found out she was OK, all I had to do was wait to see when she was going to start another one.  Her blog is at http://obsessivelystitching.blogspot.com/.  This lady does lots of  "I Spy" stuff.  Scroll through her posts and if she isn't starting a new one soon, she may post about someplace that is.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
448 Posts
Points 5,660
CJ Hines replied on Wed, Dec 29 2010 10:15 AM

I like the idea of using the sashing to unify the whole thing.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,266 Posts
Points 35,145
Granny M replied on Wed, Dec 29 2010 10:41 AM

Megan

I usually buy enough at one time.  I have found the hard way that if I need just a little more than I bought I can't always match it.   If you are doing something with a lot of different fabric though it won't matter how you do it. 

Granny M

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,295 Posts
Points 413,979
gini replied on Wed, Dec 29 2010 11:01 AM

Granny M:
I usually buy enough at one time.  I have found the hard way that if I need just a little more than I bought I can't always match it. 

aren't we funny.   i don't mind if i run out of fabric, even if it is only a little that i need, i love trying to find a near-match to throw in    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use