Top 10 Posters

Let's talk batting

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 37 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
77 Posts
Points 2,200
Sarabela posted on Sat, Dec 25 2010 10:34 AM

I am sure you all have many different preferences for batting but there is so much out there I am a little confused about what is best and what is not good. What is your favorite batting? I think I want to go with one of the natural battings for the quilt I am working on but I want something on the heavy side. Does anyone have a recommendation?

• | Post Points: 155

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,568 Posts
Points 30,579
Kelley replied on Sat, Dec 25 2010 11:06 AM

Merry Christmas Sarabela.....

I mostly use Warm and Natural.. I love it..... it is warm and quilts up easily..

Of course this is just a personal prefence  of one person, but I get it by the 40 yrd roll with 40% off coupon on line...makes it cheaper too.....lol..

Kelley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Dec 25 2010 11:19 AM

Sarabela, I use The Dream Green, not only is it easy to use ,it washes well and is warm. I love the fact it is made from recycled soda bottles. But the nicest part is its alittle cheaper then the other battings.  Hope this helps ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sat, Dec 25 2010 11:23 AM

The batting to use depends on the use of the quilt.  I like to use polyester or an 80/20 batting for quilts for kids.  There is a Dream Poly that comes in three weights.  The Deluxe weight is heavy but a little on the stiff side.  I think that is good for a wall hanging or if you want a lot of warmth.  It softens with washings.  You can also use two layers of batting if you use the warm and natural or other cotton batting like that.  I don't think there is one perfect answer so go with your gut.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,810 Posts
Points 43,674
Eileen replied on Sat, Dec 25 2010 12:40 PM

Sarabella,

Part of choosing batting is a personal choice and part of it, as Jeannine said, depends on the use of the quilt.  If you go to Google and type in choosing right batting quilt, you'll get lots of links to batting guides, including:

http://www.suite101.com/content/guide-to-quilt-batting-a57922

http://www.suite101.com/content/guide-to-quilt-batting-a57922

and

http://www.quilting101.com/making/quilt-batting.html

My more experienced quilting friends have told me that how you intend to quilt the quilt can be a factor in choosing a batting, so think about how far apart you want to place the quilting stitches as different battings have different requirements (some let you bat really far apart while others don't).

Hope this helps & good luck :-)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,821 Posts
Points 365,907
Kris replied on Sat, Dec 25 2010 12:41 PM

Sarabela,

here is some information about How to Choose Batting

Batt-Mart is also a great place to learn about batting.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170
Suggested by Judy Lee

Welcome Sarabela,

I am a LAQ and quilt on many different types of batting.  If you want luxury  and selection choose Quilter's Dream.  I use it for my quilts, usually the Select which is the perfect weight that I am looking for! This is from their website! Good luck!

Become a Facebook FanYou have just taken the first step towards a Dreamier quilting experience. Quilters Dream Batting uses the finest fibers and state of the art manufacturing to bring you quilt batting of unsurpassed quality and consistency. We use the softest silkiest high quality fibers so that your quilt will resist shrinkage and stay soft yet strong and wonderfully drapeable. Each batt is hand cut and carefully inspected. Quilters Dream Batting proudly presents premium quality quilt batting that will provide warmth, drape, volume, definition and support to your quilt through generations. Made with pride in the USA.

""

Quilters Dream Cotton BattingQuilters Dream Cotton is 100% Pure Cotton Batting. We start with the finest USA natural and environmentally friendly cotton and specially processed Dream Cotton so that you can quilt up to 8" apart. No prewashing necessary! Available in Natural and White in four lofts: request, select, deluxe and supreme.

""

Quilters Dream Poly BattingQuilters Dream Poly uses our exclusive blend of the new fine microfibers. Dream Poly has exceptional drape, breathability and comfort surpassing all other polyester battings.  Quilts beautifully - you will feel the difference! Available in three lofts in pure white: request, select and deluxe.

""

Midnight Dreams Poly BattingMidnight Black Dream Poly is beautiful true black batting that enhances the richness of dark and vivid fabrics. Quilters Dream's exclusive blend of fine denier black microfibers imitates natural fibers. A soft black quilt batting that has exceptional drape, breathability and comfort.  Available in two lofts, request and select.

""

Quilters Dream Blend for MachinesQuilters Dream Blend for Machines 70/30 is soft to hug, yet takes the tug!  It is made of 70% cleaned natural cotton and 30% fine denier polyester blended in perfect harmony and needlepunched onto an ultralight scrim base. 

""

Quilters Dream Angel Heavenly Batting of 100% Flame Retardant FibersDream Angel Heavenly Batting of 100% Flame Retardant Fibers has a wonderfully natural look and feel.  Heavenly for both hand and machine quilting, this batting really is as soft as an angels wing.  Pure white in color, this batting is available in two lofts: select and request.

""

Sweet Dreams Pure Cotton StuffingSweet Dreams 100% cotton stuffing, soft dreamy layers of fluffy natural cotton.  A crafters dream for stuffing, pot holders, pillows, padding and upholstery.

""

Quilters Dream Puff - Lighter than a feather yet warmer than down!Quilters Dream Puff  A lusciously light batting with exceptional warmth and a soft resilient loft of almost 1/2 inch. Dream Puff is 1.5 times warmer than down and almost twice as warm as high loft polyester battings. So light, breathable and wonderfully comfortable, you will be amazed at Dream Puffs superior warmth. Pure white.

""

Quilters Dream Wool Shear-ly B'ewe'tiful Wool BattingQuilters Dream Wool  Made with a blend of fine Domestic and Merino wool, this wool is scoured and super-washed for superior cleanliness and to eliminate shrinkage. Quilters Dream's unique processing creates wool batting with exceptionally soft drape, uniformity and strength.

""

Dream GreenDream Green is an Earth-friendly batting that is TRULY Green. This soft, cozy batting is made completely from recycled plastic bottles - even the packaging is made from recycled products!  Available in the select loft, this batting has a light green color.  With no scrim or resins, Dream Green meets our highest standards of quality, function and performance.

""

Dream Orient Silk Bamboo Blend BattingDream Orient s a luxurious blend of velvety Bamboo, luscious silk, strong silky Tencel® and soft stable Cotton.  Dream Orient's natural environmentally friendly fibers are carded, crosslapped and finely needlepunched to bring you the most desirable qualities of softness, strength, warmth and breathability.  The elegant silky soft drape makes Dream Orient a batting beyond compare! 

""

Top 500 Contributor
Female
77 Posts
Points 2,200
Sarabela replied on Sun, Dec 26 2010 10:11 AM

Thanks to everyone for the advice and the links. I have some reading up to do. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Sun, Dec 26 2010 10:46 AM

judy lee, this is a great bunch of info,   could you please tag this post   thanks   gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 20

Hi Sara

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170

Hi Gini,

I really did a lot of research when I started longarm quilting because I wanted to offer batting as part of my quilting service. How do I tag a post? 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Dec 26 2010 6:45 PM

I love Quilter's Dream but also use Warm and Natural when it is on sale at JoAnn's.  Quilter's Dream feels like fleece and is so soft and warm and so easy to quilt on.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,561 Posts
Points 139,563

Hi Sarabela,

What a pretty name. I think you also need to take into consideration if you'll be machine quilting or hand quilting and some battings will allow quilting to be only three inches apart while others will give you a leeway of up to 10. Thick battings don't perform as well on a DSM (Domestic Sewing machine.) And some offer more loft to your quilting.

All of the advice you have recieved will give you some ideas on what to look for, for your particular project.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Sun, Dec 26 2010 9:45 PM

judy lee, it looks like you got your post tagged. thanks

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
12 Posts
Points 445

I've used Warm & Natural [and still have some left over] and was not a fan.  It was entirely too linty and caused me to sneeze like crazy due to all the tiny little fibers floating around.  And I found it a bit too thin for my personal liking.  

I believe Joanns sells a W&N as well as some other organic and/or natural battings which may be worth experimenting with.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use