fair price?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 16 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797
MNnancy posted on Tue, Dec 21 2010 8:02 PM

A quilter in town is selling her HQ16 with poles, leaders, track, and "beefed up tables" but no stitch regulator for $4300.  I'm guessing that buying used is the only way I'll get into a mid- to long-arm, so I'm very interested, but does that price seem a little high?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 8:50 PM

Nancy

How long has she had it and how much has it been used.   It is hard to find one with table, track, and leaders for less than about $10,000.  Most of the time the sewing machine by itself is more than her asking price.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,540 Posts
Points 46,089

my friend Edith just sold her HQ 16 with everything including the stitch regulator for $5500 CAD...they are worth $10,000 new....Edith got an HQ 18 Avante and she loves it too..not sure what she paid for that one

Ontario, Canada

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 65,998

It sounds reasonable to me if it is in good condition.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,540 Posts
Points 46,089

oh..one more thing...I would check into the price of a stitch regulator as you really can't do a really nice job without it.

Ontario, Canada

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

I think not having the stitch regulator or a frame brings the value down.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,460 Posts
Points 361,917
Kris replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 10:50 PM

Nancy,

the brand new package with non stitch regulated machine and portable king sized frame is $6, 359. It can be upgraded to stitch regulated but you'll have to fina a dealer to do it. The stitch regulated version is $7, 995. 

It sounds like a reasonable price to me if it's in good condition and won't require too much maintenance. Why is she getting rid of it?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,650 Posts
Points 135,977

Hi Helly, we never know when your smiling face is going to pop in.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,540 Posts
Points 46,089

well thank you Leslie :o)

Ontario, Canada

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Wed, Dec 22 2010 12:24 PM

I spoke with her more today.  The machine is 5 years old, and she's a medium user - she's done quilting  for herself, her family, and a few friends.  She said her machine goes in like clockwork for its annual checkup.  The only time she's had tension issues is if she mixes types/brands of thread on top and bottom.  She's never felt deprived working without the stitch regulator because she's developed a nice even speed that she can work with.  She's selling hers to buy a used APQS.

I'm leaning towards purchasing this, but of course I'm thinking about everything else I could do with $4300.  It comes back to the old argument that I could pay someone else to quilt a whole lot of projects for me for that price, but I've yet to take a quilt to someone because I don't like the idea of giving up a part of my creative work.

I did see a Pfaff Handiquilter on a frame with stitch regulator that I could have purchased NEW at the state quilt show last summer for the same price, but it was only a 12 inch throat, so I talked myself out of that deal.

Oh, decisions, decisions...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,314 Posts
Points 154,598

MNnancy:

I think not having the stitch regulator or a frame brings the value down.

It doesn't have a frame???  Is it because she is keeping the frame to use with the one she is buying?  How much more will getting yourself a frame add to your total outlay here?  You need to consider that too.  It may be that by the time you throw that and a stitch regulator into the mix, you could buy yourself the whole package new and have a warranty to protect your purchase.  Just something to consider. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
102 Posts
Points 1,835

Just a few questions for you to ponder on & ask her.....

Is she adding in the accessories to the machine?

bobbins---what size  ............... a seperate bobbin winder is a must

leaders for the frame

what size of needles--resourses to buy them in bulk

are there any pantographs included--other quilt stencils.

will she give you lessons on how to load a quilt.......trouble shoot  tension problems.

Batting wholesaler

Is the frame a table top or Studio type

Does it have the table extension.. like our open arm machine to make a larger surface.........to use rulers or other guides for quilting

I hope this help in your decision....all these extras can add up

Susan

Susan.....

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,540 Posts
Points 46,089

Marge (AKA Dimples):
It doesn't have a frame???
I think it has a table...it says so in the her question at the beginning...just no stitch regulator...but I shouldn't speak for Nancy

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,314 Posts
Points 154,598

Helen Bell:
I think it has a table...

Yeah - I read that too.  I guess I don't know much about long arms.  How does it work if you don't have a frame and carriage / sewing head?  That's the only kind I have seem at the quilt shops and shows. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170

Hi Marge,

I may be able to help a little.  A Mid-arm or longarm Machine can be place on a frame, in which you move the machine over your fabrics to quilt them as seen in most  quilt shops.  Usually the quilter is in a standing position and the stitch regulator is a must for me.

A mid arm or long arm that has a table is used by moving the fabric in freemotion style.  Usually you are sitting and you move the quilt at your own pace. the quilt slides around smoothly on the table.  In free motion you match your machine and really don't have to have the stitch regulator.  It becomes more of a luxury.

I hope this helps!

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use