Page 2 of 7 (94 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 93 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 6:06 PM

Stash is what you currently have in your possession before you know about the project you are supposed to do "from your stash".  Stash would even include fabric purchased for a specific project, especially if, after purchasing that fabric, you change your mind about what you want to do with it.  Nothing is final until the quilt is done.  Fabric not in your stash would be if you needed to go purchase just one more piece but this trip to the quilt shop will likely end up in increasing your current stash exponentially so make this trip with caution and only after you have looked in all totes, drawers, bags and buckets you have hidden your stash in around the house.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 285
Points 7,035
Shellie replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 6:36 PM

To me "Stash" is anything composed of fabric that is in my home (or occasionally my mother's home).  I do not limit myself to the hundreds of yards of fabric in the sewing room, it also includes any item of clothing , linens, curtains, etc. that could be cut up and used in making a quilt.  When I started sewing oh so many years ago I cut apart old clothing to get fabric for the projects I wanted to make because I didn't have any fabric on hand and I didn't want to wait until I could go to the store to get some.  This is a quilt I made for my 10 year-old great-nephew this year.  I could not find the Jimmy Johnson fabric anywhere available for sale any more, so I used panels from the curtains my sons used to have in their room.  The curtains had been lined so there was little fading to the main fabric, and it was perfect.

Shellie - south central Washington state

Linaria Dalmatica Designs

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 7:27 PM

Shellie:
I could not find the Jimmy Johnson fabric anywhere

I know!  I had a request to make a Jimmie Johnson bag and could not find the fabric.  It ended up just being a Nascar bag.

I am always amazed at what I do have in my stash.  It seems no matter what I'm looking for it is in "there" somewhere.  The apron I made as a last minute birthday gift after 9:30pm first needed tracing paper for the pocket.  I opened the drawer on my cutting table and there was a pad of tracing paper.  I have no idea how that got there.  Then I needed two buttons and I found the exactly perfect buttons.  Then went to find something to wrap it in and found a lime green bag and pink tissue paper that matched the apron.  I love it. 

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 7:59 PM

Jeanine

What a darling, darling apron and if this is last minute. WOWIE.  I 'll take last minute from you anyday. Love that pink and lime green together! :) It makes me smile.

Yes you always have me talking to my computer with the beautiful things you make but then so does everyone!!!  One day my laptop is gonna say- Ya, I love it too, can we place an order now? If only we could! LOL

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

really is a cute apron...

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 8:04 PM

shellie, this is a wonderful boy quilt   nice work  gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 8:05 PM

jeanine what a cute apron,  you know, this will match my table topper perfectly.   :  )    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 8:11 PM

Helen Bell:
my sewing room is very organized and all fabric is by colour and folded the same way...

Helen, you really should post the picture of your stash again for LadyRags to see!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

MNnancy:

Helen Bell:
my sewing room is very organized and all fabric is by colour and folded the same way...

Helen, you really should post the picture of your stash again for LadyRags to see!

here are a few pics of my sewing room I designed and my hubby built..I have a lovely view of the Historic Rideau Canal system too...I would live in here if I had the chance..altho hubby would say that I do live in here now...haha

Ontario, Canada

• | Post Points: 95
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 8:36 PM

I haven't seen that second picture.  What a nice big cutting table!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Thanks Nancy....I LOVE my cutting table...it is 6 base cabinets back to back (3x2) and a space for putting long items in..i.e. fusibles and whole bolts of things....and the big pink looking wall is my design wall...it is 6 feet x 6 feet styrofoam insulation covered with poly felt...it works great and I can pin in it too...fyi..this pic was taken last year and there is ahum a little more fabric in there...hmm..and I'm on a fabric diet at the moment...i do cheat a little but not like I used to

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 9:02 PM

Helly

I definitely could come shop in your studio.  That studio is the subject of quilter's dreams.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

ahh thanks Nana..it definately is MY dream...I have quilted for 20+ years and this is the my dream room...of course the rest of the house is a bit of a mess ;o)

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,707
Points 364,377
Kris replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 10:54 PM

Shellie:
This is a quilt I made for my 10 year-old great-nephew this year.  I could not find the Jimmy Johnson fabric anywhere available for sale any more, so I used panels from the curtains my sons used to have in their room.

I love it Shellie. How resourceful. True quilter you are.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,707
Points 364,377
Kris replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 10:55 PM

Jeanine:
The apron I made as a last minute birthday gift

Very cute Jeanine.

Page 2 of 7 (94 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use