Top 10 Posters

Miscellaneous Tips

Page 4 of 11 (155 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 154 Replies | 49 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Richard~

Good idea!

North of Boston MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,118
Points 67,350
Robin replied on Sun, Feb 13 2011 7:05 AM

Idea for this month:

Take a piece of sturdy form core and cut through the first layer and foam so it will fold in half and stand up.  Then cover with flannel and glue on underside.  Create a tab at the top to connect both sides.  You then have a standing design board that is usable on both sides and will travel.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 510
Points 6,035
Lisa replied on Sun, Feb 13 2011 1:22 PM

February e-newsletter tip winner:          

I can get very excited on projects that I am working on and tend to get a little sloppy with my threads and they go every where. I have found a way to keep that from happening I get contact paper or other sticky paper and tape it to my sewing table sticky side up and then as I clip thread I just have to touch it to the sticky paper and then just toss it in the trash when full.           Lisa

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 365
Points 4,075
Liz K replied on Sun, Feb 13 2011 4:49 PM

mars92:

I subscribe to many quilting magazines.  I love them all but after a few years I soon became overwhelmed with them all.  Parting is such sweet sorrow... Now the patterns or other info I want out of the magazines I just remove and file each separately in a plastic sleeve.  I place the plastic sleeve in a large BINDER  which is now my reference book for patterns and other info from my  quilting  magazines.  This has become a HUGE space saver for me.

I do something similar.  I copy the patterns I want to keep and put them in a three ring binder.  Then I pass on the magazine to friends or to our quilt guild so they can sell them at the annual quilt show to raise funds for charity quilts.

Liz

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,530
Points 31,115
Diana replied on Wed, Feb 23 2011 8:07 AM

I love the purse patterns that are out there.  To make the bottoms sturdy and get them to sit flat, get   plastic canvas for the needlepoint on plastic stuff.  You can cut it to size, make an envelope with matching fabric so it can be removed for laundering. It's very cheap in price and can last for years and can be moved from one purse to another if it''s the same size.

Diana in East tn. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Wed, Mar 2 2011 12:38 PM

Setting RED FABRIC (or any fabric that bleeds)to stop color bleeding.

I use white distilled vinegar, 1 part vinegar to 3 parts warm or cold water.  Completely immerse fabric in water, use delicate setting, in last rinse cycle of machine, if possible use at least middle water level.   Be sure to squeeze out as much water as possible before hanging.  Hang on clothes rod in tub or over well padded lines, I keep plastic shower curtain rods to put on lines at least 2 lines width if possible, to prevent distortion or tearing of quilting stitches.

I have also used salt to soak jeans and colors that I fear will bleed.  Use at least 2 cups of salt (sea or kosher) to a gallon of water.  I use cold water or tepid.  Soak at least 20 minutes, then rinse well and squeeze out as much water as possible.  Hang as suggested above.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 25

I bought a collapsable red wagon in the sporting goods dept. at K-Mart ... I use this to transport my sewing machines/serger and mat board and other supplies I need to classes or guild meetings...it is much eaiser to handle then the standard sewing machine carrier on little wheels...the red wagon is made out of washable fabric and has large wheels...cost about 69.00.  It is so much eaiser when you are arthritic to pull this wagon.    Carole A. Lloyd

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 25

Love the idea about the trunk...Carole

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 510
Points 6,035
Lisa replied on Fri, Mar 4 2011 8:50 PM

Idea for the day

Hi Everyone I have a very bad back and sitting to sew is very hard so I sit on a large yoga ball it helps me sit strait and when I get anp pain  or tightnes I can take a few to min to just rool back and forth and side to side and I can get a great amount of sewing most of the days

Lisa  Threadhappy

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,118
Points 67,350
Robin replied on Sun, Mar 6 2011 10:05 AM

March e-newsletter tip winner:

I'm not sure it this idea has been posted yet, but I came up with this morning as I was preparing for a work related trip and was planning to sneak in a quilt shop or two.

Use one of the gift card holders I got for Christmas and double stick tape in samples of the fabrics I'm currently working with for my Farmer's Wife Sampler and Crazy Quilt.  Then when I got to the shop I might buy a few less random pieces.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Sun, Mar 6 2011 10:31 AM

Robin

Great tip.  I always forget what I have at home and end up buying some of the same fabric I already have....LOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,340
Points 113,590
Linny t replied on Sun, Mar 6 2011 10:48 AM

What a great and simple way to do this.  I always forget to take my sample fabrics with and try to think of what color/hue will match when I'm at the shop.  I always end up with fabrics for another quilt when I do this, lol.  Thanks, Robin!

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,544
Points 417,019
gini replied on Sun, Mar 6 2011 4:30 PM

great idea robin,  i always take snippets, but can never remember which opcket they are in.   this makes it a lot easier    gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 95

A good thread catcher for snippets of thread by your machine is a small scrap of batting--when full, just throw the whole thing away--it really holds on to those pesky little pieces.

Page 4 of 11 (155 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use