Page 2 of 11 (155 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 154 Replies | 49 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,090
Cathie replied on Wed, Jan 12 2011 4:06 PM

I have more stuff then room. I had my DH build my design wall so it can close. When it’s open its 69”x80” and when it’s closed its 69”x40”. The one side has peg board on it so it also doubles as a place to hang my rulers.

Cathie     Mt Joy pA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,509
Points 30,695
Diana replied on Sun, Jan 16 2011 6:31 AM

I tie a lot of my quilts and have arthritis so using those black binder clamps is impossible.  I just can't open them.  DH was in the lumber yard one day and spotted small (1 1/2 inch) wood clamps made by Irwin.  They are spring loaded and super easy to open and close.  They fit beautifully over the edge of my cutting table.  I recently found them on Amazon.com at a great price for a gift for a quilting friend for Christmas.

Diana in East Tn. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 365
Points 4,075
Liz K replied on Sun, Jan 16 2011 3:35 PM

January 2011 Tip Contest Winner!

I save stiff clear plastic from items that I purchase to use as plastic templates.  I cut the flat pieces out and store them in a drawer so that when I need plastic for quilting or other crafts I have it available.  Packages from toys usually offer larger areas that are useful.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 365
Points 4,075
Liz K replied on Sun, Jan 16 2011 3:39 PM

I have purchased cabinets with doors to store my fabric away from light.  I wash it, iron it and store it folded according to color.  It keeps it dust free and away from the light.  When I need a specific color I just have to check the stack it is in to see if I have the one I need.  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 110
CC replied on Wed, Jan 19 2011 12:25 PM

I like to keep my workspace tidy. I make covers for my starch, or finishing spray cans. Simple sleeves work but using a stiff interfacing makes for easy on or off. I decorate the cover with whatever strikes my fancy. Alternately, I made some protectors for hot coffee cups, using a pattern from the local coffee shop. I made them with flip and sew crazy patch, embroidery and edged them with wire edged ribbon, elaborate? Really easy, such a small space. I ended up stacking 3 to cover my finishing spray and smile whenever I see them. 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 110
CC replied on Wed, Jan 19 2011 12:27 PM

great idea, I got a box of bows for Christmas and hated to "waste" all that clear plastic space. Thanks.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 89
Points 1,840

January 2011 Tip Contest Winner!

Instead of using just any scraps of fabric for your leaders and enders, use your 'scrap' pieces.  If you have some 2 or 3 inch squares already cut up for your scrap quilt, use those pieces as leaders and enders while chain piecing.  You'll be sewing two quilts at one time.

Dawn

Dawn

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 116
Points 3,930

Great idea! I miscalculated on a recent quilt and cut double the squares needed. Thanks to your tip I will be assembling them for future use. Thanks!

Gramz Quilts

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 510
Points 6,035
Lisa replied on Wed, Jan 26 2011 11:37 PM

Lisas tip of the day if you wear chapstick and you are trying to thread your needles just run it between your lips and it gives it a little stiffness and you wont have any problems threading your needles any more.

Lisa

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 26 2011 11:46 PM

I like to use the tin boxes that scissors come in to place beside my machine to put my seam ripper, stilletos, extra wound bobbin and all those other things you like to have at you fingertips.  The tin keeps them from rolling off my table and everything is right where I need it.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 5:52 AM

My sewing room has hardwood floors,so I have alot of trouble with my foot controller. I have found using a computer mouse pad helps to keep it from sliding around...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 7:40 AM

I have found that a square of rubberized shelve liner keeps the foot peddle just where I put it. My floor is a shiny vinyl and almost everything else slides around

Granny M

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 10:03 AM

April video tip winner:

Face it. We've all had stuff sore shoulders from leaning over our sewing machine for long stretches at one time. If your machine is not set in a table, but on it, the problem can be that much worse. I put two pink school erasers under the back side of my machine to tip it toward me slightly. The erasers get a nice firm grip on both the table and the machine so it's a stable arrangement, and it makes a world of difference! I can see what I'm doing without getting all hunched up!

Another thing that helps save me from Quilter's Shoulders: I sew at the kitchen table. That  puts my machine too high for comfortable quilting. A long time ago, my friend made a 12x12x4 wooden 'box' for the kids to use as a step-stool when they reached the point that they were independant enough to get things from the counter, but not quite tall enough to reach them easily (it's designed to be too short for them to reach the cupboards on purpose). I set it on my chair for quilting. It raises me up just enough that I don't have to struggle so much with the quilt.  and it doesn't 'sink' like a cushion does.  ( I highly recommend padding yours if you opt to fallow my lead on this!!) A better solution would be to use a bar stool or an adjustable office chair if you have one.  :-)

For those of you who don't bend so well, this works swell: Hubby bought me  a cheap, extendable magnetic wand at the parts house. It's perfect for picking up dropped pins!!

A magnet  placed in your pin box helps keep them from scattering if you drop it.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 11:51 AM

chocake2:

A magnet  placed in your pin box helps keep them from scattering if you drop it.

I think one of my all time favorite notions is my magnet pin "cushion".   It is fantastic ...  as long as your are close when you drop the pin it lands in the magnet and if you have a bunch of pins to pick up all you have to do is hold the magnetic pin holder upside down over them and they all fly into the holder.   Fantastic little item.   And they don't spill if I drop it....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 20
Sue replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 3:36 PM

Before I start to quilt I rub the bed of my machine and the extension table with a Bounce dryer sheet, it helps make everything slide so I get nice fluid movement while I'm free motion quilting.

Page 2 of 11 (155 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use