Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 145
candykisses31061@yahoo.com Posted: Sat, Dec 18 2010 12:21 PM

Hi

Im a newbie to this group I just started quilting I belong to www.sacredheartpassionatestitchers.org

Our group makes quilts for our wounded soilder in Afganistan our quilts have to be red/white/blue 45 inches by 78 inches to fit the gurney and knit scraves also. I would like to see some patterns that would be easy since I am just learning I want to do around the world, but know that would be confusing. I use 61/2 inch squares.

I live in Milledgeville Georgia.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,844
gini replied on Sat, Dec 18 2010 12:28 PM

hi candykisses,  welcome.  i couldn't get the link you posted to work, but it is a wonderful cause.

around the world is easy with strip piecing.    you sew all the strips together, then cross cut them so you have a long line of squares.  you the line them up; offsetting by one each time.  it goes pretty quqickly.  i'll try to find directions for you   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,844
gini replied on Sat, Dec 18 2010 12:33 PM

http://www.ehow.com/how_2343553_trip-around-world-quilt.html

http://www.lovetosew.com/aroundtheworldquilt.htm  this has better directions, but is for a placemat

http://www.quiltville.com/tatw.shtml

check these out

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Dec 18 2010 2:12 PM

Candykisses

Welcome.  I hope you enjoy the site.   Kudos to you and the rest of your group for making quilts for our troops.  That is fantastic.   The rail fence pattern is very easy and goes together very quickly.  Cut strips at 2 1/2 inches then sew three together.  Cut into 6 1/2 in squares.  Sew together alternating vertical and horizontal with the stripes.  Makes a very pretty quilt and would be beautiful in red, white, and blue.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Dec 18 2010 3:48 PM

Hi Candy kisses, I love what your group is doing , wonderful cause.  the log cabin pattern is another easy block to do , I know there are web sites you can get free patterns off of ,but I've gone blank at this moment, I know Kris  one of our members has a list of shops and websites with free patterns .She will probably be on her later and tell you how to get her list.  Keep up the great cause and welcome to the culb...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,838
Points 366,217
Kris replied on Sat, Dec 18 2010 4:00 PM

Hi Candy. Welcome to the group.

Click here to find the list Barbara mentioned. These sites are some of the ones other members found interesting. There are lots of great patterns etc.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Sun, Dec 19 2010 8:48 AM

Hi Candy   Welcome to the group.  As you can already see, post a question and you get lots of answers.  Hope you will post some picture so we get to see the quilts. Great idea to make quilts for troops.  I think we have some other members that do that as well. 

Granny M

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Sun, Dec 19 2010 12:03 PM

Hi Candykisses, welcome to QCA, stop in and chat.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Welcome Candy.  You aren't too far from me.  I live in Griffin GA.  Where is your favorite quilt shop to get your supplies? 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 145

I have to go to Macon at jo anne, or to hancock fabrics walmart here doesnt sell material. You sure arent very far from me . How long have u been quilting?

Nancy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

candykisses31061@yahoo.com:
How long have u been quilting

Nancy, I have only been quilting maybe 4 or 5 years.  I mostly do kid sized quilts for Project Linus or Quilts For Kids.   The only full sized quilt I have done so far is the one I made for my grandaughter Jaimie with the mystery quilt group.  I had it quilted by at one of  my quilt shops by a LAQ.  I have enough trouble with "mush and push" quilting on the small quilts, table runners and wall hangings I have done that I am very reluctant to try a large quilt on my DSM.  Besides JoAnns, I have two nice quilt shops fairly close by.  One is called A Scarlet Thread and is right up I-75 from me.  If you ever want to make a trek up here to the Atlanta area, that would be where I would suggest  you visit.  They recently moved into a much larger space.  I used to belong to the American Sewing Guild chapter in Macon but discovered a chapter that meets in Fayetteville, which is so much closer for me. This chapter gives me an excuse to visit JoAnn's as it is right down the street from the church where we meet.  There is another gal on here (Joni) that lives a short ways from me. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820
Quiltless replied on Mon, Dec 20 2010 1:45 PM

Hi Candy

I am a "Newbie" too.  It looks like QCA is growing fast and it is not hard to see why. 

Welcome.

Quiltless a/k/a Kath

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use