• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Fri, Dec 10 2010 6:38 PM

karroll:

what is a scant 1/4th seam tx for the help karroll

It is just  a little to the right.  Some have said about the width of the thread you are using.  On my machine I set it for 1/4 in then move needle 1 click to the right.  Hope that makes sense

Granny M

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 127
Points 5,312
LadyRags replied on Fri, Dec 10 2010 7:04 PM

In Harriet Hargraves newest book series Quilter's Acadamy she suggest using a finer stronger thread... ie  60 wt / 3 ply thread.  You just sew a regular quarter inch..... but because the thread is fine and very strong, you would not need to try to get a scant quarter inch..

Harriet believes that moving your needle over distorts your straight stitch which she feels is not desireable.  

Most of the major thread companies have 60 wt / 3 ply ..... Personally I use PRECENTIA (SP?)  It comes on a cone and I use it for all my piecing.  I made test strips and found it gave me an accurate seam allowance.

Something else that would  help you achieve a good seam allowance is a quarter inch foot.... I like LITTLE FOOT as an add on to most machines   I have it on my class machine.   i also like using a fabric guide... either mole skin or painter's tape to keep the fabric going in precisely.

Hope this helps

NONNIE

http://nonniesquiltingdreams.podbean.com/

Nonnie's Quilting Dreams Podcast

http://nonniequiltingdreams.wordpress.com/

Nonnie's Quilting Dreams Blog

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,247
Kris replied on Fri, Dec 10 2010 7:13 PM

LadyRags,

I haven't seen you for a while. Welcome back. I use prescencia thread for hand piecing and hand appliqué. I like that it's thinner.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,247
Kris replied on Fri, Dec 10 2010 7:19 PM

Karroll,

a scant quarter inch is a seam allowance that's just a thread or two less than a quarter-inch. That couple of threads matters because quilt blocks shrink slightly every time you press a seam after sewing. To compensate for this slight shrinkage and make sewn blocks come out exactly the right size, you’ll need to use a seam allowance of just a hair under a quarter-inch.

This measurement varies on different machines. You'll have to play with it to find what gives you the desired result.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,549
Points 245,862
Thea replied on Sat, Dec 11 2010 1:39 AM

I would only add to this discussion that you have to be careful when following a pattern - some patterns need the scant quarter inch and some don't they need a regular 1/4" so if you are making something that has definite sizes for each section or gives you a specific border length - before you cut your border pieces check that your pieces are measuring correctly.  I wish that all designers of patterns would write whether you need to use the scant 1/4 or not.  For me a scant 1/4" is one thread less then a 1/4"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Sat, Dec 11 2010 4:28 AM

You know Thea I think your right,  (well actually I know you are ) because you do such beautiful work LOL  But that is one place I struggle. Sometimes when I make my scant 1\4, it doesn't come out right on the block so when I move it back it works or vice versa. So I have been taking scraps and making a test block, that way I know which way I need to go.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Dec 11 2010 6:28 AM

Why don't they make a foot for machines that is a scant 1/4 " and that would take care of it for all of us . Maybe when we all are doing a project  we should tell each other what we used if others here are gonna made the same thing  like in our groups...Barbara..PS, someone  (like Nana)  is propbalby alreading doing this and I missed it..lol  

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,456
Points 416,679
gini replied on Sat, Dec 11 2010 10:27 AM

barbara, my machine does have a 1/4 inch foot, that makes a scant 1/4 seam.  it also has a guide that hangs down to butt my fabric against.   with my featherweights, i cut through a 2 inch section of masking tape a little over 1/16th inch through and tape it to the bed of the machine.   i make test strips until i have that perfect scant 1/4 inch and stick the masking tape down. 

to make test strips, to check your 1/4 inch,  i cut out 6  -  1 1/2 inch strips 6 1/2  inches long and sew them together.    the block should measure exactly 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 inches. if your 1/4 inch seams are too big---your block will be too small;    if you 1/4 inch seams are too small--your block will be too big.          gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,456
Points 416,679
gini replied on Sat, Dec 11 2010 10:30 AM

hi karroll,  if i haven't welcomed you yet,   welcome.   this is a great discussion, could everyone tag their posts     thanks   gini

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use