Page 1 of 4 (49 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 48 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,014
Points 250,834
Barbara Posted: Fri, Dec 3 2010 10:18 AM

I need some advice on my Log cabins. My strips for this block were 1 1/2 in xWOF .unfinished blocks are to be 8x8 in. for some reason some have come out 7x7 and some 81\2 x81\2. Now I know I can square up the biggerones to be 8ins but how am I to fix the ones that came out 7in.s if I add another strip it will throw off the pattern ,If I cut to much off it will again mess up the pattern by taking off a strip. Any suggestions...?Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,610
Points 418,129
gini replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 10:39 AM

barbara, an inch is a long way to be off .  how many logs/rows are there.    other than cutting the 8" blocks back or adding a strip to the smaller blocks, i don't know what you could do other than unstitching them and starting over.    make sure that the seam allowance is a scant 1/4 inch.   

perhaps could you have ironed creases at the seam lines?  

i thnk i would add to the smaller blocks and  ta da,   you will have your own unique pattern   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,014
Points 250,834
Barbara replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 10:42 AM

Gini thats what threw me off , I did use scant 1/4 in  I just can't figure it out and I even measured as I peiced rows together to keep them sized . You don't think added a row to the smaller ones will throw off the pattern to much? Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,610
Points 418,129
gini replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 10:51 AM

Barbara:
I just can't figure it out and I even measured as I peiced rows together to keep them sized . You don't think added a row to the smaller ones will throw off the pattern to much?

i know this is a dumb question, but you didn't forget a row, did you?      to answer your question,  it really depends on how you arrange them.   i often will mix up the last rows so i don't have matching fabrics together.      lay your blocks out with the extra strips ( not sewn on) and get an eyeball of what they will look like.       gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 0
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 10:56 AM

Barbara

Did you check you 7" block to see if you left out any of the strips needed to make the log cabin? Is your 1/4 seams all correct?  I know that's an easy solution-but I have made lots of smaller log cabins and they can be maddening with all the strips. Is there perhaps a strip too many in your 8 1/2 block?  Go back to the beginning and retrace your steps.  Ok I will quit being so bossy.

I drew on paper my block down to the actual size of each strip and labeled the size of each strip and if it was dark or light.  That really helped me when I was putting the block together.  Then afterward I was able to check it--if I had all my pieces together correctly.

Another thing i did when doing the log cabins, I put the different size strips in a silver ware container--you know the rubbermaid kind for forks, knives, spoons etc. and marked each separate silverware tray with anything you got (masking tape, ) with the size 1 1/2 "   2 1'2"  ETC  that way I kept my strips separated... that really helped too.

I hope this help you, I know log cabins can be maddening but they sure are design wonders and are beautiful!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,610
Points 418,129
gini replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 11:04 AM

oh my goodness, that is way more work than i put into a log cabin.   i strip piece them, every step/log.     i only cut out the strips  for each color log as i need them.   so i start out with all the centers, lay them down the strip that will be the first log, sew them down and cut them apart, iron the little devils,  get my next strip and lay the just ironed centers down the length,   and sew forth.   this goes so fast.   and if you turn them the same way as you lay them on the next strip each time.  all of the seams will fan out perfectly from the center.  gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,700
Nana replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 11:18 AM

Gini

That is how I do my logs too.  I don't cut to size only to width.  Way to much work cutting each log to the exact dimensions....LOL

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 11:52 AM

Because you ALL ARE SO SMART and NOW I learned SOMETHING  NEW!!!!  I did so need a new silverware tray for the holiday silverware.  LOL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,610
Points 418,129
gini replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 12:10 PM

mars92:

Because you ALL ARE SO SMART and NOW I learned SOMETHING  NEW!!!!  I did so need a new silverware tray for the holiday silverware.  LOL

any help we can lend

:  )   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,014
Points 250,834
Barbara replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 1:50 PM

thanks everyone for all the help, I did not precut anything ,just cut the strips ,cut as I went. I will go back and ckeck and make sure I did not leave a row out , I know I did have to backtract a couple of times to make sure I was on the right row.,or so I thought. You all have helped make this a much easier fix then I thought it would be...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,610
Points 418,129
gini replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 2:06 PM

barbara,  let us know what went wrong   and how you fixed it    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 285
Points 7,035
Shellie replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 7:37 PM

Barbara,

If these are the same blocks that you posted a picture of a few days ago I think I might know where part of the problem is.  Now it could just ne my eyes but it sure looked like the center red square was not the same size in all of those blocks.  Some looked bigger, some smaller.  I don't kow if that is an intentional thing for the pattern you are using, but you might look at that and see if that is where your difficulties are coming from.

Shellie - south central Washington state

Linaria Dalmatica Designs

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,319
Points 373,142
Kris replied on Sat, Dec 4 2010 7:53 AM

Barbara,

I hope you get it figured out soon.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,014
Points 250,834
Barbara replied on Sat, Dec 4 2010 7:58 AM

Shellie, Yes they were the same blocks. I checked the red squares and they are all the same size ,I still have about 5 to finish..I know somewhere this is just a beginner mistake and I'll find it . It helped to have several other pairs of eyes though to look and see why they all came out different. I'm gonna double back and recheck my rows to make sure I didn't miss any. This was still afun block to make and I'll keep at it. I do like the log cabin look. thanks for your help.Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,014
Points 250,834
Barbara replied on Sun, Dec 5 2010 7:28 AM

Gini,and everyone who posted,I found my mistake, 2 of my blocks my seams were way to big ,not sure how I did that  ? and 2 of the blocks my seam,were way to small. I was lucky that it was only 4blocks. .Again I'm not sure why this happened , I have my 1\4 in marked off with tape and I also have a 1\4 in foot,.I have since made 3 more and the have come out at 8 in just like they should. thanks everyone for your help. I'm still baffled by the seams ,but still a learning process. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 4 (49 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use