Top 10 Posters

Suggestions for QCA Poll and Survey Questions?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 64 Replies | 19 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
594 Posts
Points 24,165
Liz S. (AKA QCA Liz) posted on Tue, Nov 30 2010 10:16 PM

Hi everyone,

I am looking for good suggestions for our members newsetter survey question and our monthly online poll.

If you have any questions that you would like me to ask the community (humorous/serious/just curious or otherwise...) let me know.

PLEASE NOTE: I am only asking for suggestions for survey questions here. To participate in the survey contests please visit the QCA Community Blog and post your answers there.

Thanks a bunch!

QCA Liz S.

• | Post Points: 275

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
790 Posts
Points 20,040
Carol replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 2:13 PM

Gini -- you have it exactly right!! Couldn't have said it better  and I agree with you about this one!!

gini:

just think of the process,      thinking about a pattern,  the time spent choosing fabric,     cutting the fabric and reassembling it.   quilting your creation.  there is a considerable amount of time, critical thinking,  and skill at all levels of quilting.   how can any of this lead to an ugly quilt?     i love them all.......    gini

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 3:24 PM

Gini

All excellent points.  I have seen quilts that weren't something that I personally would want to make but that doesn't mean that the maker didn't love every stitch she or he put into it.  They are all works of art and like any art there are pieces that we like better than others.  But that doesn't mean they aren't still special and deeply loved by others.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,816 Posts
Points 365,822
Kris replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 3:46 PM

Yes Gini,

all very good points. However, there are still quilts that we do not like for whatever reason. So do you lie and say you like them considering you know what goes into making a quilt or do you simply compliment the person for his/her efforts?

I made a quilt for a girl who chose her own fabrics. It was the most painful quilting experience I've ever had. I hated everything she picked but I never said that to her. I simply did the best I could with it and she was quite pleased with it. I just hope she never told anyone I made it. LOL

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,443 Posts
Points 176,243
Marie replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 6:28 PM

Gini you hit the nail on the head, good for you.  There are no ugly quilts with all the love one puts into them.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,443 Posts
Points 176,243
Marie replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 6:40 PM

Kris as long as she was pleased with her choice of fabric and the finished quilt and you were pleased with your workmanship that's all that matters.  I've seen your workmanship so I'm sure that was flawless and the quilt was beautiful in her eyes.

What's with the no signatures?  

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 7:23 PM

kris,   hmm.    there are colors and fabrics that i just can't get into, making quilts out of.   but i still like them when other people make them.  

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,656 Posts
Points 136,082

Kris< I have done the same thing, It is really hard to work on a quilt when you can't stand to look at the fabric LOL.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,816 Posts
Points 365,822
Kris replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 8:48 PM

gini:

kris,   hmm.    there are colors and fabrics that i just can't get into, making quilts out of.   but i still like them when other people make them.  

Gini,

I'm happy to say that apart from that one quilt I haven't really seen any that I did not really like either. Even with colours I'm not crazy about I still find something to like. The love of textiles is in my blood. I wish I had quilts growing up. I haven't had to lie about liking one yet.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Okay, back to Liz's request...

How about "How many dogs and/or cats do you have, and do they help you quilt?"

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
264 Posts
Points 2,260
Libby replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 9:55 PM

My brother's girl friend asked if I would make a quilt if she got the material. I didn't know how to say no, and ended up making the quilt. It was the ugliest fabric ever. Sweatshirt and velor type fabric. The ugliest colors imaginable. I got to choose the pattern.  My "sewing buddy" (dog) wouldn't even come in the room while I was sewing it. My poor dog gave her seal of approval on all the quilts to that date, always laying on some portion of it while I was working on them. My son and daughter would tell me to put the "ugly quilt" away while they were home. It took forever but I finally finished it, she loved it. I have taken pictures of most of the quilts I have made and have them in an album. It is dubbed the "ugly quilt" in the album. When my brother and his friend broke up, she got custody of the quilt. I made him a new one for his 50th birthday, he mentioned I was right the other one was ugly. Everyone else who has seen the photo thinks it is lovely.

So after all the rambling, yes I would tell her I liked it, because I could truly find something I like about it and focus on that. I like the pattern to the "ugly quilt", just nothing else. Libby

Libby

Top 25 Contributor
3,771 Posts
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 10:03 PM

Diane

I LOVE this question!  Do we all have the same quilting gene or what?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 11:28 PM

libby,  i tell people who ask , that i will put their quilt  in the line.  then i start totalling up all the quilts in the line.   when i get up to 30 or 40, they get the picture that i really don't have the time.     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Thu, Dec 2 2010 11:29 PM

i will, however, offer to show them how to make their own quilt.     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
264 Posts
Points 2,260
Libby replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 4:36 PM

Gini, I have since learned to say "NO thank you" or make it really hard for them to keep the asked for "to do" open indefinitely. I guess with age one gains some wisdom along with all the things one loses. (the mind, the body, the memory.....) Libby

Libby

Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Sat, Dec 4 2010 11:08 PM

Liz,

When I started to sew, I had to buy a sewing machine. Having no idea of what kind of machine to purchase, I talked to the owner of the shop that sold sewing machines. She totally took advantage of me and sold me a machine she wanted to get rid of. I used this machine for three years with lots of frustration and not getting the desired results. The machine had no speed controls and only sews at top speed, no matter how much or how little you press the foot petal. Neither her or or her husband, the machine repair person could slow the speed.

My question would be, "What functions are a must have on a sewing machine for the absolute beginner?"

Toledo, OH

• | Post Points: 50
Page 2 of 5 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use