rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 41 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
54 Posts
Points 1,725
Donna posted on Mon, Nov 22 2010 11:44 AM

This is a multiple part question. 
First - what do you use to mark the quilting design on the quilt top?

Second - when do you mark it?

Third - HOW do you get it off?

Fourth - Are you happy with it? Or what are the advantages/disadvantages of it

• | Post Points: 110

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,799
gini replied on Mon, Nov 22 2010 12:13 PM

i use chalk on hand quilting, sometimes pencil.   i don't mark machine quiling     gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,266 Posts
Points 35,145

Q1     I use a Fabric pen that is purple and disappears in 24 hrs or you can sponge with a damp paper towel and it comes right off.  I use it on light colors.  On dark colors I have a fons and porter white chalk fine point pencil that I use, it also comes off with a damp paper towel

q2    I mark it just before I quilt it

Q3    See answer in Q1

Q4   It works for me, I have not seen any down side except every once in a while I do not mark enough with the purple pen and it disappears before I am through. Had that happen just today, frustrating.

Hope that helps            Granny M.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,314 Posts
Points 154,598

I pretty much do it the same way that Granny does.  Hmm great minds think alike??? 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,266 Posts
Points 35,145

Mind, what mind, I lost mine three years ago when I started quilting.  Maybe before, but I'll never tell

Granny M.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,477 Posts
Points 46,525

Glad I fit in with great minds, LOL. I too use the disappearing purple pen for light fabrics and white or yellow chalk for darker fabrics. I like both. I usually only mark if I want to use a stencil or am doing something that I want to have equal distances between.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
7,113 Posts
Points 110,370

On light fabrics and some mediums, I use a water erasable blue marker.  For Darks and some mediums I use a white or colored ceramic lead in a Sewline line pencil.  Sometimes I also use soapstone or a Heramarker for simple , straight lines, like grids.  All of these come out in the wash.  The Sewline pencil has a fabric eraser that gets the marks out without washing.  I don't like to use erasers because the distort the fabric, so I just try to do it right the first time.  This is the only downside to the Sewline pencil :)

I try to mark as I make the blocks as much as possible.  This is much easier on my back than marking the pieced top.  Sometimes it's not possible to mark as I go, so I mark the top before I layer it.  The exception here is with the Hera marker as it doesn't make a line, just makes an impression into the batting.  It really works out better if I design the quilting before I start sewing, but sometimes it isn't that obvious until I see the quilt top.  So I guess the answer is that it depends on the quilt.  Some quilts don't need to be marked at all because the design dictates the quilting and it's obvious.  If I'm doing 1/4" from seam quilting, I use the 1/4" tape sometimes.

I have tried probably every form of marking that's out there and these work best for me.  I don't like the chalks because they don't last long enough by the time I've handled the quilt ( I hand quilt) .  I'm alergic to the dust, too. 

With pencils, I'm always afraid it won't come out all the way because I've pressed too hard, so I just don't use them. 

My philosophy is simple is better, so I look for the simplest way to accomplish the idea I have in my head.

I'd love to take a class in marking from some expert some day.  I think I could learn a lot.

linny t

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,457 Posts
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Mon, Nov 22 2010 6:08 PM

Good Questions Dmb,

I use chalk on hand quilting and I mark each section as I come to it since it tends to rub off. I haven't marked for machine quilting. I tried Golden Threads tracing paper once but I didn't get it all off after I finished my quilting. The experience reminded me of paper piecing. I gave away what I did not use.

Not Ranked
Female
54 Posts
Points 1,725
Donna replied on Mon, Nov 22 2010 6:36 PM

Ok, I have a follow up question for all of you who use either the blue or purple vanishing ink.   A couple of quilitng books I have read warn against it as it is a chemical and so on and it doesn't really come out and you will see a ghost of it in years to come because of the chemical.

So has any one seen the ghost?  :-)

And HOW do you get out the chaulk or tailors pencil - specifically the CLOVER gadgets?  I have tried it a couple of times - wet towel and all.   And I think I read that it would come off as long as you didn't iron over it.   But it is NOT coming off.

And I just did a really really stupid thing with tissue paper and a fountain pen....so I need a better way of marking complex designs. - well complex for me - I am not an artist of any kind so once we move past a straight line I need help.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,266 Posts
Points 35,145

dmb

I have been using the air erasable pen for three years and never saw a ghost. Don't know about the chemical thing.  The "chalk" pencil I use I think is different from Tailors Chalk,  I have used that in dress making and it comes out with soap and water.   The Fons and Porter wipes off with a damp towel. I really like it for dark colors.   I know what happened with the tissue paper and pen.   I use a graphic pencil,(#2 plain old pencil) for marking on tissue paper.  And like you I learned that the hard way.  Good thing I did not have it on fabric at the time.

Granny M

Not Ranked
Female
54 Posts
Points 1,725
Donna replied on Mon, Nov 22 2010 6:53 PM

Well you are a step ahead of me.  I had it on the quilt and water hit it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Mon, Nov 22 2010 6:55 PM

Most of the chalks will come out if you wash the quilt when you are finished quilting.   Good luck.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,650 Posts
Points 135,977

I let my LAQ worry about it lol.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
7,113 Posts
Points 110,370

Leslie :

I let my LAQ worry about it lol.

I  like your solution, Leslie.

I've never had a problem with a ghost after washing.  I can make a ghost after it gets damp enough to dissappear by ironing, but once it gets wet & agitated, it never comes back.

Linny T

Top 500 Contributor
Female
151 Posts
Points 3,075
Cathie replied on Mon, Nov 22 2010 7:33 PM

Donna, chalk pencils are great and they do come out very easy, but, it you mark them to dark on the fabric it may not all come out. Like white chalk on black fabric, been there done that.

Cathie     Mt Joy pA

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use