Designing a Jacket

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
13 Posts
Points 545
Carin posted on Fri, Nov 19 2010 9:54 AM

I'm going to combine 2 jacket patterns I have into a new jacket.  I also want the new jacket to be shy of fingertip length and warm.  Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas in lengthening the jacket so it isn't too slim or so the bottom doesn't flare out like a bell?  Like I said, I want it to be warm also, any ideas on what batting to use?

Thanks!

Carin

Carin

A bad sewing day is better than a good day at work.

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
45 Posts
Points 865
Traci replied on Mon, Nov 22 2010 10:46 AM

You might check with wool batting, that will probably keep you warm.  I would say as for length of the sleeve & the bottom (I've had to make these adjustments too, I'm 6"1'), usually patterns will tell you where to lenghen or shorten, if you have to add LOTS of length, don't do it all in 1 place.

I hope this helps a little!

Good luck!

Traci O.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
594 Posts
Points 24,165

Hi Carin,

I'll post your question in our next newsletter and see if I can get some more responses for you. I'd love to learn how to make a quilted jacket someday. Good luck with your project.

QCA Liz S.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,715 Posts
Points 419,654
gini replied on Sun, Dec 5 2010 8:59 PM

carin, i don't make garments, so i have no input for you.   do you have a dressmakers form?  it seems like that would be the best way to combine two patterns      gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Mon, Dec 6 2010 9:24 AM

I would make a muslin one to first see how this will hang...make all your adjustement on the paper and try to cut fabric but not the pattern.  Then you truley fit the jacket the way you want.  Since it is for warmth as well as beauty, you can use your muslin mock up for future jackets or use it in your present one.  Good tailors always make a muslin pattern before cutting precious materials.  Saves expensive mistakes.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use