Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 7,370
Valerie Posted: Sun, Aug 2 2009 9:05 AM

So I started looking at some quilters frames (I really like the hand quilting, although I haven't made a whole lot yet) as I have some big embroidery work and would like to do a quilt (I was thinking of perhaps making the quilt top on machine and then doing the hand quilting for the rest). I wanted to get one that would be reliable and not hard to put together, then came across the Ulmer Quilter Frame, it looks pretty good as it comes assembly required (major plus), it tilts, and is wood (made by the amish/menonites) so it should last a long time. I wanted to know though as anyone used one? I have found prices anywhere from $175-$240 (I found if you buy it directly from the company it is 220 which includes shipping.  Here is a link;

http://www.ulmerquilter.com/Gallery.html

Valerie

Woodbridge VA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 7,370
Valerie replied on Sun, Aug 2 2009 11:28 AM

I saw a few reviews on peoples websites and they seem to really like the frame, and I found out according to the company of the frame that you do not have to baste when you use their frame (just the very ends if you want). this seems that it would be another plus, as basting quilts doesn't seem like much fun

Valerie

Woodbridge VA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,196
Points 239,002
Thea replied on Sun, Aug 2 2009 11:38 AM

I think and anyone can correct me but I am pretty sure that one of the selling points of most frames is that you don't have to baste your quilt.  I have a Gracie frame... no it isn't up at the moment and hasn't been up for a couple years... I haven't found a machine that I like yet to use on my Gracie.  someday I'll buy that machine and have fun learning to quilt on my frame - or maybe not...lol

My frame is real easy to put together - the directions are great - I would maybe like one that took less time to put together but then it probably wouldn't be as strong and secure.  Quilts are very heavy.  A friend had the grand quilter one when it first came out and her poles bent from the weight... mine will handle any weight and I have the patterns to follow for a side to side quilting design if I want to...

I don't use it yet though... and may never.  You have to have lots of room for them and I do but at the time we had tons of people living in the house and now I won't put it back up till I find that machine - more and more good machines are out there and someday I will jump...

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 7,370
Valerie replied on Sun, Aug 2 2009 11:52 AM

I have seen the Gracie frames online, but this ulmer one is just for hand quilting and embroidery.

Valerie

Woodbridge VA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,589

Valerie,

I don't' hand quilt but there are a lot of handquilters on this forum.  I'm sure someone will come along and help you out.

When I bought my machine frame I looked for about two years and researched the frames. I have been seeing more and more for hand quilters, but when it comes right down to it, the decision is yours based on what you like and need in a frame.  Good luck with your search.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use