Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 155
DJ Weston Posted: Sat, Jul 11 2009 4:41 PM

I have so much material and my husband has just installed a wooden floor in our condo.  What is the connection?  I would like to make him a braided rug using strips of material.  I seem to recall my grandma making rag rugs but when I asked my mom, she couldn't remember the specifics.

I thought of using 3 inch strips but don't know whether to hem the edges or make the strips into tubes.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Please send to djweston4jc@juno.com and included the subject as " braided rag rugs" so i won't think it is junk mail and delete because I don't recognize the senders name.

Thanks.

DJ

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,604

Wish I could help you, I saw directions a long, long time ago for this but I have never made one and cannot remember what the directions said.

T Lynn - SW Idaho

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 762
Points 9,954
Rhonnie replied on Sat, Jul 11 2009 9:35 PM

DJ,

There was a lady in our church many yrs ago that made those. I don't know how or anything about them but wish I did. I would love to know how to do them too. If you get any info plz let me know. I hope you find it cause it sounds like that would be perfect to put down on hardwood floors.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

To start you must decide how big you want your rug to be. If you are making a round rug if does not matter how long the first braid is as you will be curling the the braid around its self.  However it is to be two feet wide and 6 feet long for example you would made the length 4 ft before you start sewing it back on itself.  (Take the length of the finish rug and subtract the wideth and that of is what the starting length will be) For the wideth of the strips it will depend on how thick the material is.  I made a wool braided rug.  Depending on the thickness the strip was 3 to 4 inches. The important part is to have the braids all come out the same size. I turned the raw edged in and sewed them down.  There is a kit that you can get that would save you a  lot of time and you would not have to sew them. 

It is called Braid Craft        Fabric Braiding Basic for Everyone! by Shirley Botsford

Shirley Botsford Design Associated Inc. 1987

682 Avenue of the Americas

New York, New York 10010

Shirley  Botsord for Distlefin Designs, Inc.

Hope this helps.  Libraries also carry books on rug braiding.  Helen

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 465
Points 33,800

Sounds like a fun project. let us know how it comes out!

~Jodie

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

DJ

Try this site.  The instructions look pretty straight-forward.  Lots of luck with your project.  We have braided rugs on the oak floors of our home and I love the look, but took the easy way out and bought them.

http://www.craftown.com/instruction/rugs.htm

Kissimmee, FL

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 31
Points 560

That sounds like great fun!!  I might start one this evening.  No one said anythign about finishing it, I just want to try it.  And the fun of slicing through all the fabric I am not going to use (so I can buy more) and sitting in this mound braiding!!!  I wonder if I used a hose to get it wet when through, then shoved it in a commercial dryer what it might look like.  I bet it would look compy and soft.  Okay, I am on a mission.

Colleen Kelly

www.cluttergutter.com

God is good.......all the time

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 762
Points 9,954
Rhonnie replied on Tue, Jul 14 2009 2:17 AM

Colleen,

No one ever said you have to complete new project in this lifetime.....leave it to whomever gets all the good stuff and make em figure it out first. I have to say I thought about it but umm nooo I have to many of those projects going at this moment.

Thanks to those who found the into or had it hide back somewhere.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 260
glenda replied on Tue, Jul 14 2009 9:41 AM

thanks joyce that braided rug site is perfect and i have started my first braided rug am looking forward to finishing it and laying it in my livingroom with oak wood floors again thanks glenda

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Glad to help.  Would love to see the finished product.

Kissimmee, FL

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use