Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta Posted: Mon, Jul 6 2009 10:04 PM

Do you use polyester tread or cotton thread for your machine piecing? What is your favorite color for piecing fabric?

I have so many threads and I try to match the color of the fabric when hand piecing. For machine piecing I use a neutral color such as off-white or grey. 

My motto is you can never have to many thread spools or to much fabric!

Jutta, CA

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Jutta, you will find some of your answers here:  1051.aspx

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Mon, Jul 6 2009 10:11 PM

Jutta,

I have to agree never too much thread....it's kinda like never too much fabric.

I use neutral for all piecing. I always use cotton thread. I guess that comes form years of sewing for a welder and never broke that habit or even thought it was a need to break it.

The one with the biggest colection in the end wins...is that the theory?

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta replied on Mon, Jul 6 2009 10:18 PM

Thank you Spudgrandma. This is very interesting what everyone is using.

I must have missed that post, because it has been a while since I have been on this forum. Changed my internet provider to Satellite and had a few problems with it.

Thanks again!

Jutta, CA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta replied on Mon, Jul 6 2009 10:21 PM

Hi Rhonnie,

If that's the theory, I am going to make the top 10 list.....lol

I thought cotton thread was a must when it comes to piecing, but I understand that polyester may even last longer.

Jutta, CA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Mon, Jul 6 2009 10:37 PM

I hadn't heard that but honestly I am not around alot of quilters. I am just me winging it where a wise lady left off with stupid teen that knew too much but loved me anyway. I will be curious as to if that is the thought of most, alot or just a few.....I guess this question is gonna keep me asking and finding out more.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Jutta, I have been told, and I have read, that you don't want to use polyester thread. Since it's a synthetic, it will cut the threads of the cotton fabric eventually. I use only cotton thread. I don't do much hand-piecing, like next to none, but I use 1 of three colors: white, black, or grey. I took a hand applique class one year at Quilting In the Tetons. I don't remember the name of the instructor, but she used silk thread for the hand applique.

I guess the bottom line is you need to use natural fiber threads for natural fiber fabric.

Gillette, WY

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta replied on Mon, Jul 6 2009 11:40 PM

Judy,

I agree with you and it makes sense. When I took a hand applique class our teacher talked about using silk thread as well. Working with silk thread is very nice.

Jutta, CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,754
gini replied on Tue, Jul 7 2009 12:23 AM

hi jutta, i use cotton thread for piecing.   off white, a greenish brown and black.    when i have quilting threads left over, i will match them to fabric until i run out.    with my hand piecing and applique i match the color.  i try to get cotton, but i will use anything that matches most closely if i can get it.   silk threads are great for applique, they disappear into the appliqued piece.  but very slick.  i hve just learned a new technique for controlling them, so i'll have to dig them out and try again.    an applique  instructor  told us last class that aurafil is a great thread to use, because it doesn't tangle.    i just got some today to try.    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Tue, Jul 7 2009 11:56 AM

I see that it seems to be the cotton that is favored. I guess I am the natural fibers type I use only cotton to sew with unless a special project and ugh I hate when kids say mom can do that. Plus I have tried the poly in my machine and it hates it. I have machines with personality it seems....lol. I was told once they like me and stong willed/stubborn...I wonder if that was a compliment or insult.....no matter I took it as a compliment. LOL gotta think positvie somedays

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,836
Points 366,177
Kris replied on Wed, Jul 8 2009 12:43 PM

I mainly use 100% cotton threads. I use monofilament thread occasionally when I don't want the thread to be the focus of my quilting. 

I don't have a favourite brand of thread but lately I've been using Essential thread from connecting threads. It is very inexpensive and does a really nice job.

In my most recent quilting project I used a Sulky varigated 30 wt cotton on top and Coats & clark 40 wt rayon thread on the back. 

I use what works at the time. 

I don't keep a lot of thread at one time since they do tend to deteriorate over time.

Kris

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Jutta King:

Thank you Spudgrandma. This is very interesting what everyone is using.

I must have missed that post, because it has been a while since I have been on this forum. Changed my internet provider to Satellite and had a few problems with it.

Thanks again!

No prob Jutta.  I'm  glad you got your Satellite worked out, having computer probs is the pits.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,754
gini replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 10:15 AM

this is a good article on metalic threads

http://e1.interweave.com/dm?id=3C4BFC252D0E463C1F99E4F6945B1AED31464B43DE2AEF6E

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use