Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma Posted: Sun, Jul 5 2009 7:05 PM

We just got back from our daughters.  We had a wonderful 4th.  On our way out of town we stopped and watched the parade, my FIL was on the WWII float they were Grand Marshals, there were at least 18 Veterans on the float.

We then went on up to our daughters. Grandpa layed down for a nap and my daughter  and 1 grandson went up the road to the next town to a quilt show, it was a very good show lots of very nice quilts.

Then they fried up a mess of fish they had caught last week and then off to watch the fireworks.  (My SIL is a volunteer fireman and they shoot them off)

Got up this morning and packed a lunch and went to the reservoir and went fishing, caught a bucket full then stopped at a camp ground with lots of shade and a cool breeze and had lunch, then grandpa and I headed home.

What a wonderful weekend we had!!!!

T Lynn - SW Idaho

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Sun, Jul 5 2009 7:09 PM

what a wonderful way to spend the holiday, good family, good food and good times.    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy replied on Sun, Jul 5 2009 7:41 PM

Sounds like you had a great time. Happy belated 4th!!  We spent ours getting rows set so we can start the irrigation motors to water the corn fields. Thank goodness we have a couple pivots!!  Went into the golf course for a burger fry and were supposed to do fireworks but that turned out to be a wash. So we went home and our daughter lit off the stuff we had gotten for her. That was fun and we were in bed early.    Got up this morn and had to fix a brace on the one pivot which took a good 2 hours to fix, just hubby and me.  Got her up and running though.  My 4th wasn't real spectacular I guess but it was with family--that's whats important.  Needless to say my plans for quilting this weekend went out the window. Oh, well, another day will present itself. 

Happy Quilting all,

Tammy-NE.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Lyn and Tammy, it sounds as if both of you had good 4ths - family and food. It was just the 2 of us, but we had hamburgers and I had watermelon. I think it's been 2 or 3 years since I had watermelon! Mmmmmm.

Today was another story, it was still just the 2 of us, but about 3 this afternoon, a storm came out of nowhere - literally. You could see it pop up on the weather map when there was nothing there before. I hail, small, for about 15 minutes. It looked like it was snowing! We have a drainage ditch that runs through our back yard. It's about 3 ft. wide and 2 ft deep. It was running brim high! At least it has cooled off.

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Sun, Jul 5 2009 10:20 PM

we're supposed to get a huge thunder and lightening and wind storm this evening.  fireworks two nights in a row. can't beat it     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 546
Points 11,066
Happy replied on Sun, Jul 5 2009 10:29 PM

Just got home from Pa I went the a park with the family then watched frie works with my husband I am glad to be home

Happy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Well, ater I posted ealrier I layed down on the sofa and guess what?  I fell asleep and just woke up, I sure hope I can go back to sleep in a little bit or I'm going to be all messed up...LOL

Tammy, I'm sorry you had such a day.  We sure have spent many the same way, farming brings a new challenge every minute not every day :)

Great attitude Judy and Gini, when life give you lemons as the old saying goes!!!!

Happy, I'm really glad to be home also.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Mon, Jul 6 2009 8:27 AM

I am glad to see everyone had a good 4th.

Tammy ya know we live on a farm but it is no longer a full working farm just particle. But I miss those messed up holidays more than I would have ever thought possible. I remember one Christmas the cattle got out well instead of us getting together with family to do santa...out to the pasture we went. But I have to say covered in muddy uck and cold as could be I couldn't have had more fun then when my kids all little at the time was chasing the cattle to get them back in. By the time we got everything fixed with help if brother-in-law. My sister-in-law had come to the house got everything taken it to her house had us a good hot meal ready to eat when we got there. My kids said can we do this every year mom it was the best Christmas ever. This year my daughter said I hope the cattle gets out in the morning....I couldn't help but laugh. Those are the days you will miss when they are gone. I not sure if its the cattle getting out or the kids but right about now I want em both.

I have to say my 4th was pretty good. Had family fish fry...we fried the fish in the garage to save the mess. We all enjoyed a few games of Skip-bo. It was so wet we didn't go to the local fireworks. I thought getting stuck wasn't top of my list of to dos that day. So sat off some at home till it started raining again. Mandy my oldest lab loves fireworks the rest of em tolerate em only. But Mandy would lay there and watch em or go up and check em out depending which ones they were......she always good for laugh or 2. But with all the rain we got and grant you I am not complaining about the slow easy rain that lasted too long. Last night we sat off a bunch more of the fireworks.....but we still have plenty left. I am not sure if we are gonna set em off another night or other half is saving em for his year long fireworks stash. I swear men get more like kids all the time.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Mon, Jul 6 2009 8:29 AM

Oh no Lynn hope you could go back to sleep for the night. I hate when I do that and then messes up everything but oh well mid-night sewing is some of the best.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Mon, Jul 6 2009 9:04 AM

rhonnie,

you must not be from the pacific northwest.    here everything is done in the rain.   when it rains,  we watch fireworks from under tarps. one year there were so many of us rolled up in plastic tarps we look like a gigantic banana slug in the yard.

once while camping, we woke up on a floating air mattress, there was 2  inches of water around us.   just pulled up the edges of the sleeping bags and went back to sleep.   i had to dig drainage ditches around and through our camp. i even had litle bridges for the banana slugs to cross.     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Good Morning Everyone,

I thought I was going to have to relate a sad 4th story today because our youngest cat, Nagase, ran away in terror because of the fireworks noise on Saturday night.  We searched and searched all day yesterday and were making plans to get to the animal shelter early this morning, when wonder of wonders in she walked about 9:00 last night.  Needless to say everyone gave her an enthusiastic welcome home--cuddle, cuddle.  She of course was much more interested in her food dish!

Kissimmee, FL

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Mon, Jul 6 2009 11:41 AM

Gini,

I have to say its been a wetter year here than usual but I am kinda tired of it, I am from central IL and until last year we didnt have swampland around here. I love when its a slow easy rain but not all day like that. So we called off the festivities for one night lol but well boys will be boys and my oldest child had to set off his fireworks. LOL I had a chaser tho I sat off that chased him and he went screaming like lil girl...I have to admit I had to change pant twice while setting them off. There is always something humorous with him and fire...ok him and anything he does. I have to admit that is why I thought he be perfect for me to keep...best thing I ever did was say yes to that first date and omw been laughing every since.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Mon, Jul 6 2009 11:44 AM

Joyce,

I am soooo sorry to hear about Nagase running off. But I am glad he is home and safe. I send huggles to Nagase.

I only have one of the 5 labs that loves fireworks the rest just roll eyes when they see them come out. But had our share of those long nights of chase em down cause I can't sleep without all 5 around.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Joyce,

I'm so glad your kitty came home I know you are relieved!

T Lynn - SW Idaho

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use