Page 3 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 46 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Sat, Jul 11 2009 11:32 AM

Ok I was talking to lady at LQS other day and asked about this paper piecing and english piecing. Lucky me she had one she was working on right there. I have to say after whatching her and thinking about all this I doubt if I will be trying it anytime soon. I have to say paper peicing seems to be alot easier than englishpiecing. She does teach classes in both and says when you catch on to it its simple...lol. I think she lost it personally but I just think I put off doing this until I umm help Gini find her mind ....lol.....so it might be awhile.

I have to say after they are done they are gorgeous but oh my alot of work but then again my next thought is ummm perfect for day out and take along til you have to start actually putting the blocks together.......I might go after this sooner than I thought with that idea. But I do believe her class first might help me make it thru......

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,504
Points 417,409
gini replied on Sat, Jul 11 2009 11:38 AM

rhonnie,   here's some free advice.  stop thinking,  RIGHT NOW,  it'll only lead to worse things, and will end with a lock-up or down, whichever?    don't  start these little flowers it leads to brain damage.  oh, my head hurts, gotta go lie down   gini      

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Sat, Jul 11 2009 11:45 AM

After trip to lil girls room for laughing to hard just barley made it...I know TMI.

But that is too funny. I will stop thinking now and run and hide somewhere lil flowers not like...giggles. I not have alot of brain left so brain damage oh my would be really bad......and I get in enough of those predictaments all on my own...ugh stupid tumbling blocks......giggles but many hours of laughing when someone say are you almost done and it had been 3 yrs since I started ugh NO tumbling blocks either....atleast king size by hand......lol

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Sat, Jul 11 2009 7:28 PM

Kris, thanks a bunch.  I watched the video today.  I will definitely look for the water soluable foundation papers if I ever do another paper piecing project.

Southwest Florida

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Sat, Jul 11 2009 9:44 PM

Sandy,

The lady I talked to said she didnt like the water soluable paper....she really didnt say why except it didn't really do what she wanted it to do. I just thought I would share that with you. But I guess if I ever accidently sign up for her class I might find out.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Sun, Jul 12 2009 9:36 AM

Thanks for the info, Rhonnie.  The water soluable is quite a bit more expensive than the other stuff so I would hate to buy it then not be able to use it.  I'll have to see if I can get a sample from someone and test it myself.

Southwest Florida

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Sun, Jul 12 2009 10:03 AM

Sandy,

I haven't looked into it but I wonder if you could contact the company who makes it and get a sample. I would think if they think its worth it they would send it just to get more sales,,,so give that a try...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 465
Points 33,875

For English Paper Piecing there are some nifty plastic shapes that are removable. For Grandmother's Flower Garden you sew the hexagons together and then snap the plastic out.

For paper piecing there are types that dissolve in water after you finish your block. Solvy makes one. They are WONDERFUL!

~Jodie

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,504
Points 417,409
gini replied on Fri, Jul 17 2009 10:54 PM

jodie,

for the english paper piecing i have been using the paper hexagons and basting the fabric to the paper before stitching them together.   you take the papers out and can reuse them about six times.    no ironing to burn fingers and basting takes about the same amount of time as ironing.   the corners are perfect every time, because you sew them together while they are still basted in place.    i'll have to try the plastic ones and see which i like best.  

thanks,   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,504
Points 417,409
gini replied on Fri, Jul 17 2009 10:56 PM

jodie, and right now i am making 1/4 inch hexagon flowers, so i think i'll stick with the basting for these. i can see myself with burn blisters on the ends of all my fingers if i try to iron these little guys.   gini  

gini in north idaho

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 7,370
Valerie replied on Sat, Jul 18 2009 8:18 AM

I have been using the brandy's mylar template to do the english piecing (they are plastic and reusable), I find that this is really relaxing when I can do this during my lunch (I am a client manager for a accounts payable company - it is not a collection agency - and handle customers and have 6 employees beneath me) and is a great stress reliever. Right now I have just been practicing and not really making anything yet. Once I get a little bit better on my hand sewing (I have had a few errors as expected since I am teaching myself), I plan on making out of the hexagon templates flower coasters. This way it is a project that is small but also usable and a easy gift idea (at least for girls for the guys it would just not be in a flower shape or I have some of the square templates to use as well). After I do a few of things I plan on branching out and doing either a small table runner/center piece or placemats. I plan on practicing this weekend since I haven't been able to lately since my parents were here visiting all last week and then this week I have been really busy at work.

Valerie

Woodbridge VA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 90
Points 1,730

I like paper piecing because of the accuracy, but taking out the paper is tedious.  Also, having to trim the seam allowances takes more time than regular piecing.  But, I do like the results.

Dawn

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,504
Points 417,409
gini replied on Thu, Jul 23 2009 9:56 PM

dawn,  you trim the seam allowances?   the instructor i took the class from, said we didn't need to .   i've only used the one inch, 3/4 inch, and 1/4 inch hexagons, so maybe they didn't need trimming.   what to do ?  this has been working ok for me so far but you can't see the seam allowances through the fabric, because the pieces are so small.      gini 

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 65
Vicki replied on Thu, Oct 13 2011 8:42 AM

I'm working on a small English paper pieced quilt.  The fabric stays on the paper because you baste it on. I take fairly large stitches and go through the fabric and paper, then turn as I go around the shaped paper. I tie a knot by doing a reverse french knot. I wrap my needle with the thread 3 times close to the fabric. Then instead of placing my needle through the fabric like a french knot, I just pull the needle through the wrappings, holding the knot close to the fabric.  It's ok if the knot tightens a little ways from the fabric, since it will be taken out later anyway.  I've enjoyed the English paper piecing, but I really like hand work anyway. I hope you enjoy it too.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 205
Points 5,005

Rhonnie:

After trip to lil girls room for laughing to hard just barley made it...I know TMI.

But that is too funny. I will stop thinking now and run and hide somewhere lil flowers not like...giggles. I not have alot of brain left so brain damage oh my would be really bad......and I get in enough of those predictaments all on my own...ugh stupid tumbling blocks......giggles but many hours of laughing when someone say are you almost done and it had been 3 yrs since I started ugh NO tumbling blocks either....atleast king size by hand......lol

Rhonnie,

Not sure what your Tumbling Block experience was, but I definitely lost a little of my mind while doing a king sized TB several years back.  My biggest "mistake" was doing it all by hand... piecing, sewing all the blocks together and the quilting.  I was so worried that if I didn't do each piece totally by hand it would turn out "wrong"...too many angles had me freaked out I guess.  It was only my 3rd quilt, so I should have known better... But it dd turn out amazing looking!

Page 3 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use