Page 1 of 4 (46 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 45 Replies | 13 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 934
Tawnya Posted: Fri, Jun 19 2009 6:52 PM

What do you absolutley love about your local quilt store?

I love the Block of the Month program they offer.  You pay $5 the first time you go in.  You take your fabric and directions home.  Sew up the block, bring it back the next month completed and get the next  month free.  As long as you keep on doing the blocks you never pay again.  They even give you a pass to miss one month.  Can't beat a deal like that.

Tawnya in Canton, Ohio

• | Post Points: 125
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 264
Points 5,053

I love any fabric store and love everything about them.  The people working in the stores are always so helpful.  It doesn't matter if you are a regular customer or a stranger.  Quilt people just seem like they want to share their knowledge with anyone. 

Kathy Patterson - Fort Worth, Texas

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 546
Points 11,066
Happy replied on Fri, Jun 19 2009 7:28 PM

Yes it is like they know who you are Happy

Happy

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy replied on Fri, Jun 19 2009 8:00 PM

The thing I love best about my local and just about any other quilting shop/ fabric store I go to is the friendliness, and the hometown feeling you get from the people.  It just makes me so much more at ease when they ask if they can help you--even if you're just looking--and are not pushy. You find that in many furniture stores, electronics and so forth--the pushy stuff.  They are willing to help you when you need them and to help match things up if you ask. You can carry on a conversation about what you are going to do with the fabrics and they in turn tell you what they are doing or what books are really great at the time.  Quilters are so fortunate to be so open and down to earth!!

Tammy--NE.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,509
Points 417,524
gini replied on Fri, Jun 19 2009 8:05 PM

tawnya,   bear paw quilting in coeur d' alene,  idaho.  the people that work there are nice, helpful, funny and not pushy.  .    they just moved into a new space they built themselves.   it has enough light to see the actual colors of the fabrics.   their buyers do a wonderful job of fabric and notions selection.    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 934
Tawnya replied on Sat, Jun 20 2009 10:20 AM

Kathy, Tammy and Happy,

Your all absolutely right. I've never been in a quilt store yet that has unfriendly people.  I'm amazed at how willing to help all quilters are.  Just read these forums and you see helpfuland friendly people are. 

Tawnya in Canton, Ohio

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 934
Tawnya replied on Sat, Jun 20 2009 10:21 AM

Gini,

Lots of light is a great feature.  Sometimes when your picking fabric light makes all the difference between two fabrics.

Tawnya in Canton, Ohio

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

The thing I like best about our LQS is their helpfulness. They don't hover around you if you're just looking, but they're available to answer any and all questions. I also like the fact that they will order whatever I'm looking for if they don't have it.

Gillette, WY

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 430
happymrs replied on Sat, Jun 20 2009 9:50 PM

I love just taking my time in there, & checking it all out, each time I go! Like you, I do the once a month block thing too, & I love it also. This is my second year doing one. The deal with ours is, we sit for about 45min. first, & hear about what is new in the store & she has new fabrics, books, patterns up front, to share with all of us. So I like this part of it too. We also have a show & tell then, in case we care to share anything we have made. And, at the end of the round, if we have made a quilt top using the blocks we have collected all year, then we get a small gift for bringing it in to show. This last year it was a free quilt mag in the store. Who knows this round. It really is a great deal, & a great way to keep up with what is new out there too!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 403
Points 4,864

I just wish I had a local quilt shop...35+ miles each way is the closest.   I love the one (only one) we have in Lubbock, Rachael's.  The staff is extremely helpful & there is always something going on there.

Marge

Margie Campbell
margecam52@valornet.com
TinLizzie18 LS
Littlefield, TX

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

My closest quilt shop is 25 miles 1 way so I totally understand Marge. But then I have to drive 25 miles 1 way to do just about anything. LOL

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,509
Points 417,524
gini replied on Sun, Jun 21 2009 10:28 PM

marge,   here in sandpoint, anything under 40  miles is considered local.  we have ben franklin here with limited supplies, our closest store is coeur d'alene, 40 miles away.   spokane is 70 miles away.  those are our nearest quilt stores.   a big change from living in seattle.   gini  : )

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 934
Tawnya replied on Mon, Jun 22 2009 2:47 PM

Wow what a great feature to offer.  I don't  believe that my usual shop will do that.  You are a lucky quilter!!!

Tawnya in Canton, Ohio

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 934
Tawnya replied on Mon, Jun 22 2009 2:49 PM

Oh wow. we have a similar format for our BOM.  They also preview up coming classes.  Like you said a good way to stay up to date on what's being offered.

Tawnya in Canton, Ohio

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 934
Tawnya replied on Mon, Jun 22 2009 2:51 PM

Sounds like some of you guys are really thankful just to have any quilt shop.  Do you do a lot of internet shopping since the drives are so far?

Tawnya in Canton, Ohio

• | Post Points: 50
Page 1 of 4 (46 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use