Page 3 of 3 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 39 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,814
gini replied on Thu, Jul 2 2009 9:15 AM

picking out the perfect machine is hard.  they are so expensive, you want to get the best one for your needs.   they have a big fair close to seattle every year.  i went two years in a row and tried out all the machines.   they had every major brand.   it is a big help to try them out all on the same day.    if you have a big fair or sewing expo in your area, it is a great opportunity .   i went two years in a row just to make sure that the husqvarna was really the machine i wanted.   then after we moved to idaho, two years later. i realized there were no viking dealers close (a good one has since opened in spokane which is only 90 minutess away).   i probably would have gotten a bernina if i had known.   but it has worked out and i love my husqvarna.  but,  go to the stores and give them all a test drive.   that's the best way to pick a machine.   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 5

Hi,

I have a Janome 7500, Janome 9000, and a Janome 1600DBX.  I use the 1600 DBX most of the time. I wont let go of any of them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy replied on Thu, Jul 2 2009 10:22 AM

Kris-

I know what you mean. I like to get info on things I want to purchase too, but if it catches my eye, I'm not one to shop here and there especially at Christmas time. If I see it I get it. But with something as important as a machine that's a whole new ball game. You have to know what's right for you and the limitations you can make. It is an important decision.

Tammy--NE.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511

Kris and Tammy,

I wish I was more like you, but I tend to make snap decisions.  If it's small items, I'm somewhat of an impulse buyer, but with the cost of machines these days I'm holding off on buying.  I know what I want and I figured it out quickly, but I'm waiting for now.

Southwest Florida

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

I have a Viking platinum 750 for fancy stuff, bought it new 4+ years ago, a Janome Magnolia 7318, for piecing and a Viking Mega Quilter w/ frame for quilting. I love all my machines and the only way I will let one go is if I get to trade up. Maybe the M/Q but I will still have trouble giving one of them up. Hubby thinks I am crazy...maybe I am.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 398

I too have a Viking 500. I bought  it in 1995 and I still love it. I recently had my older Singer machine repaired and cleaned. It's a 6235 and was made after Singer made the machine that used the cams. Maybe some day I'll venture into a newer machine, but for right now I'll stick with my Viking.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy replied on Wed, Jul 8 2009 6:42 PM

Diane-- Nothing wrong with that!  Use what you're comfortable with I say.  Getting a new machine is a big step and you've got to be sure. When the times right for you to trade you'll know it.  Keep on quilting!!

Tammy-Nebraska

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 762
Points 9,954
Rhonnie replied on Wed, Jul 8 2009 8:54 PM

Well now i truely have the fever for a new machine..thanks guys

I guess I have to admit I have several and most I don't remember the model numbers of but have em all wrote down in back of checkbook...lol just incase I want something. But I have to admit I love my featherwieghts (I have 2..they are handy-downs from grandma and great-grammy), I use my Pffaf 130 the most...it was giving to me by DH mom. It purrs like a kitten and sews anything. It even has all the embordery stuff tooo. I have a White quilter but I havent figured that one out it can't seem to handle too much in line of more than the piecing part....but I do like it. I have a brother that I used few times but I regret ever getting it...its one of the newer versions and jsut not what I wanted after I got it home. I have a serger that I use when I make bandanas for the pups or basic things like that. I have old singer the ones when they were wel built and all from my grandmother when she passed the same one that gave me my iron for those that read that post. I have a sewing machine fetish my DH says but its ok...he has a chainsaw fetish.....lol.

I have another brother that was cheap walmart that someone gave me thought it was something good and ugh needs alot of work with lack of care and maintence. I have another machine in bottom of closet that is ancient and never heard of before it is Morse but I forget the model.

I have been shopping for a new machine that is more useful then many machines. But I haven't got into it enough other than basic quilting to make it worth my money. I was told that after joining this wonder group I am, more motivated and might just get that new machne soon. I have to say I got a good one he went with me and was trying them out too. We did agree on the same machine it was a bernina 440 I think it was. DH kept the info on that machine so that is a good thing...giggles here its not if you love me go to jewelry store its....if you love me then lets go to quilt store.....giggles guess we have to see.

I think I listed all or most of machines...I have em stashed in about every room of the house. If all together he would know exactly how many I have and one more would be a no-no...I gotta outsmart him ya know.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

I guess now I can add BrotherPQ 1500s to my list of machines.  One of these days my husband is going to actually put it all together how many I have... LOL

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 762
Points 9,954
Rhonnie replied on Wed, Jul 8 2009 9:25 PM

Lynn PLEASE don't let him tell all the rest of them......it won't be good thing.

I wonder if local judge quilts......lol

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Page 3 of 3 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use