rated by 0 users
This post has 68 Replies | 18 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 17
Points 544
Juli replied on Thu, Jun 18 2009 7:05 PM

Gini,

Your posts are just the best!  You are right about how short life is and not to get hung up in the small stuff. 

I am blessed with a husband (of 30 years) who grew up with a sewing mother so he is very tolerant with my collecting and stash.  He is some what of an enabler.  Last year we took a road trip with our trailer from California to Seattle and back.  He made sure we found every quilt shop he could find along the way.  As I shopped he rated them for "husband friendly" features, ie. a place to sit, something to read and so on.  There is a shop in Sonora California with two chairs for husbands, a table and guy magazines.  That was five star place is his book.

Though I have never hid the fabric as it come in the door, I don't flaunt it.  He too has a hobby, radio controlled airplanes.  I do go to the hobby shop with him but have yet to find a wife chair for me to sit in. 

While shopping at a local quilt shop, I over heard a lady say that she keeps some of her stash in an old unused freezer in the garage and her husband doesn't know about it.  Humm, so in the summer when he looks for the extra ice cream  will he ever discover it?

Juli in California

My soul is fed, by my needle and thread

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 244
Carole replied on Thu, Jun 18 2009 7:52 PM

I am sure guilty  of this one, but one day when I was looking for something important my husband decided to help me and as we both pulled fabric after fabric out of each place, he never really said much except that he did not realize how much fabric that I had and how creatively I had organized it.  I had to go to those bags that you suck the air out of to get more room.  I do try to stay on a "fabric budget" and my best friend and I have now started to do projects together and I'll buy one color and she will buy another and then we divide it up.  I have slowed down my purchases, but sometimes you see something that you just have to have.  I am lucky to have a husband who supports my addiction to fabric as well as thread. 

• | Post Points: 74
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 546
Points 11,066
Happy replied on Thu, Jun 18 2009 8:05 PM

no I never had to do this but my sister dose some times

Happy

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 61
Points 1,215
Joyce K. replied on Thu, Jun 18 2009 8:59 PM

Wow, Juli, I'm so jealous. I wish I had a husband who would find every quilt shop for me. My DH says he likes to go with me, but then he'll lean against some display and act like he's not bored, but you can just tell by the look on his face that he'd rather be anywhere but in a store. Shopping with me is anything but his favorite thing to do. But maybe it's because I tend to make my shopping trips excursions instead of just quick trips. But there's no way I can step foot inside a quilt or fabric shop and not look around, drooling at everything, looking at every pattern book and spinning all of the thread displays. Before you know it, I'm there for an hour or more. My husband is such a friendly guy and he always finds someone to talk to and he looks like he's having a pleasant conversation, but I can tell he'd rather be getting a tooth drilled.

I'm like you when it comes to my purchases. I don't usually hide it but I don't flaunt it either. Although I have been known to leave my purchases in the car until he leaves for work. He works nights so I wait until he leaves then I go out to the garage and bring in the sack of goodies. Is that considered hiding? If so, I'll just pretend I'm playing a little game of hide and seek...lol!!!!!

Joyce -- She who dies with the most fabric isn't sewing fast enough!!!!

• | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 264
Points 5,053

Joyce,

I would rather my husband don't go with me.  I don't enjoy it when I know that he is waiting even though he says he don't mind.  I rather him drop me off and I call him when I'm ready.  I do the same for him.  He goes to the Gun & Knife Show at Market Hall.  I drop him off and I go to Dior's on Harry Hines.  He calls me when he is ready and we both are happy. 

Kathy Patterson - Fort Worth, Texas

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta replied on Thu, Jun 18 2009 9:38 PM

Hi Joyce,

it is called "hide and sneak"....lol!  We have something in common. I leave my "big bags" in the car and get them out, when he is not around.

The "little bags" are ok and I just bring them in the house.  He knows that I am buying lots of fabric, because he had to carry all my plastic storage boxes in the house, when we moved into our new house.  He even organized them in my walk-in-closet, which I only use for all my "goodies".

I guess, I just feel guilty sometimes buying so much fabric, but my husband said it's ok and I don't have to feel guilty.

He likes all the quilts I have made  and he is happy, when I am happy.

Jutta, California

Jutta, CA

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 61
Points 1,215
Joyce K. replied on Thu, Jun 18 2009 9:44 PM

ahhhhh...walk in closet.....ahhhhh (sounding like Homer Simpson)

Joyce -- She who dies with the most fabric isn't sewing fast enough!!!!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta replied on Thu, Jun 18 2009 10:37 PM

Hi Joyce,

actually it is a walk in closet with a window and it gives me good day light to go through all the fabric boxes.

It is really funny, because my husband used to work at nights (early in the morning), just like your husband.

He is retired now.  

Jutta, California

Jutta, CA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta replied on Thu, Jun 18 2009 10:38 PM

I had to give you five stars for this one!

Jutta, CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Fri, Jun 19 2009 12:37 AM

juli,   my husband is a big fllirt, and he enjoys going into quilt stores with me sometimes ( and he really likes going to quilt  shows with me).    and, more often than not he sees some fabric tht he thinks i might need and urges me to get it..    i get all the time i need to shop and he gets to bother everyone else in the store.   one time i finished a quilt that some fabric in it he had found.   it was a color wash quilt.   he told me it was the most beautiful quilt i had ever made.   so i said " oh, then it can be yours".     he was so touched, with all the quilts in the house and the ones we sleep under, i had never made one just for him.  i thought they were all "our" quilts, and it didn't occur to me he needed one of his own.        that was twenty years ago, and when it starts to get cold he'll ask if it's time to get out his quilt.    it is nice to have a husband that supports my habit.      my studio is next to his office and he's forever dragging someone in to look at my room,   really he's just bragging over the quilts.   he's a keeper.    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 144
Bonnie replied on Fri, Jun 26 2009 6:19 PM

I guess it is time to share one of my shopping/husband stories. Ike and I have been married almost 40 years. several years ago on Superbowl Sunday I went to Joann's. When I got there they were having a 50% off on quilting fabric. I figured I could always use backing fabric so I bought 3 1/2 yard pieces. When I got to the check out and saw the total I almost had a stroke! I got home and quickly put the bag in my sewing room. Later as he was watching the game I couldn't stand it anymore. I wanted to look at my fabric. So I retrieved the bag and sat on the couch going through it. Finally I said "can you believe I got this fabric for half price!!." His only response was "well you can't beat that". I'm sure he thought I had $30 or $40 worth of fabric. It was years before I told the whole story about my $300.00+ purchase when we were a struggling family. I did put the fabric to good use making many Birthday and Christmas gifts that year. As others have said he has his fishing hobby and I never complain when he buys yet another rod /lure /bait or gadget for the boat (which has not been on the water for 10 years). 

Bonnie        

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Fri, Jun 26 2009 7:12 PM

Well let's see does making sure to unlead when he's at work count as smuggling? I have been known to come home from a fabric spree as he calls them and not bring anything in the house or mayb just a bag to cya. But while he was at work I would back my envoy up to the door and unload it. I think he really knows but he sees new fabrics about and gets that smile and says something like I think we need a trip to the hobby shop or wonder if ebay has any chainsaws.....his 2 fetishes. But we both know at the end of the day fabric and even his chainsaws and r/c vehicles are useful......perfect stress relief.

As far as man and doing house work ypou gals have some great ideas. MIne on the other hand bless his heart wouldnt dare say anything he would just do it if it needs done or redo it and say nothing. He loads the dishwasher cooks and even cleans the toilet if needed. He never says anything as long as house is not dirty its lived in and as one said no dog hair on the latest project....lol. Matter of fact if I must admit and I feel as I should we been together almost 6 yrs and I only cook few dishes and he cooks 98% of the time and even cleans up afterwards too. I do realize I am lucky to have him but he's even luckier to have me....lol my story ok

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 764
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Fri, Jun 26 2009 7:17 PM

My last hubby watched my fabric like a hawk and yet had 2 fishing boats that hadn't seen water in 2 yrs and I wont even go into the $500 fishing poles including the one he bought me for my bday. I guess that made it ok when I DO NOT FISH. Needless to say in the divorce he wanted me to get my fabric appraised so he could have half its value the judge looked at him and said do you really want to do that.....you might be opening a can you rather keep shut. My attory already said you know we can get him I said not unless he bothers my fabric....lmbo he didnt push that issue.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 225

I just did it today. It was an unplanned purchase and I have so many of those that I can hide it oin plain view on my cutting table and probably not get caught.

Fortunately, my husband is completely supportive of my quilting as I have a home busine as a longarmer and so quilts are coming and going all of the time around here. the trick is to find the time to get all of my sneaky purchases done, too, along with my customer quilts.

Pam, Minnesota

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 45

Since I don't have a close fabric shop -- so many have closed! -- I buy most of my fabric online.  I have found that the people behind the sites are good about letting me know if fabrics go together if I call and ask.  My fabric always arrives in a box or plastic envelope.  If it c omes on a week day when my husband is at work he is none the wiser!!!!!  If it comes on a Saturday, if it is a small order I will open it and show it to him,  If it is a large order I will take it  up to my office/sewing room and open it later.  He rarely asks about it.  I do all the bookwork which makes the whole thing a lot easier.

I do wonder where he thinks all the different fabrics in my quilts come from... maybe he just thinks it is better not to ask!

Carol Brewer, NJ

Page 3 of 5 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use