Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 9 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 32
Points 850
lynnb Posted: Thu, Jun 11 2009 6:30 PM

I've been a member for a couple of months now but I just got around to reading all of the instructions for posting.  I hope to retire in the next 45 days and I am really looking forward to quilting and spending time with my family.  I  rarely get to quilt during the week because my schedule is so difficult and I'm always tired.  But I do have enough strength to go on the websites and think about all of the quilts that I could create.  But I can't spend my entire retirement quilting or can I?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 264
Points 5,053

Lynn,

I have some good news and and bad news.  The good news is that Retirement is Awesome and the bad news is that you don't have more fun time once you retire.  The time just seems to evaporate.  All things that I thought I would do, don't seem to get done.  I was much more organized when I had to be at work every day.  Maybe you can get more done that I am able to.  Enjoy your retirement, I am.

Kathy Patterson, Fort Worth, Texas

Kathy Patterson - Fort Worth, Texas

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta replied on Thu, Jun 11 2009 6:39 PM

Hi Lynnb,

yes, it is ok to spend all your free time on quilting. You still can spend time with your Family while you quilt (hand piecing, hand quilting).

Do what you like the best and enjoy your retirement.

Congratulations!

Jutta King, California

Jutta, CA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Thu, Jun 11 2009 7:16 PM

Boy, Kathy, are you right!  I was recently laid off from my job of 16 years because the company went out of business.  I'm within just a few years of retirement, so I'm calling this "forced retirement" a practice run for the real thing.  I knew I wasn't going to rush back to work, so I started thinking about all the time I would have for quilting.  Well...was I in for a rude awakening!  I didn't realize that laundry and housework were not retiring -- it still has to be done every day!  I am getting some projects completed, but I just can't seem to find the time for all the new projects that I want to do.  Of course, if I'd spend less time on the computer and this website, I might get more done!

Sandy

Southwest Florida

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 403
Points 4,864

I try to spend as much time as possible quilting.  Not sure you can call me retired.  Hubby became ill & went on disability, and we moved from Cal to TX so we could afford to live on his disability.  I had left my job two years before hubby got ill.  My mom had moved in with us & needed full time care.  Made it financially difficult, but needed to be done.  I have not had to go back to work, but we have a fixer farm here & since hubby can't work for more than a half an hour without being totally exhausted, I go out and help with some of the farm tasks.  We are not farmers...we are critter keepers.  Learn as we go. 

You will find others will ask you for help, since you are retired, they think you are idle & looking for something to stay busy.  Even my hubby does this to me...takes me out to get me away from the quilting machine...lol... I'd quilt 24/7 if I could.  Make sure to make time for yourself...I know I have  started to...going on a retreat in Oct., first time in years to take a trip w/o hubby...will be nice to visit with other quilter's, since the closest quilt shop is 35+ miles each way & we have no quilds close at all.

Marge

Margie Campbell
margecam52@valornet.com
TinLizzie18 LS
Littlefield, TX

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,482
Points 417,079
gini replied on Thu, Jun 11 2009 10:17 PM

oh, i am having much more fun now that i am retired,  but time?   it just flies, and i have way less.  maybe when i had less time i was better organized.    no, i think my husband was gone more.   anyway ,  i could always use more time.   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi LynnB,  I agree that you don't necessarily have more time but I sure do enjoy not working.  Enjoy every minute of your retirement.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 934
Tawnya replied on Fri, Jun 12 2009 6:08 PM

I am completely jealous.  I am not close enough to retirement to even make it a happy dream !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I enjoy hearing about everyone else's time though.  It gives me hope!!! 

Tawnya in Canton, Ohio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,482
Points 417,079
gini replied on Fri, Jun 12 2009 6:22 PM

you don't have to be jealous of me. i quit my job 5 years ago, when i learned my oldest daughter was pregnant.   we moved home to idaho and i am a full time gramma.  i am lucky enough to have a husband that still works.    but my days are filled with kids and their activities.   i was a dental hygienist and i work much harder now than then.  but my days are filled with things i like doing so much.   even when they are having a bad day and screaming and fighting, it's a good day for me.  last month i had a 6, 5, 4 and 18 month old all week.  one day while getting them in the car, the baby had a tantrum.   you cannot fold a baby in a car seat with a bowed back.   in the mean time the three other kids had gotten the hatch open and were jostling for position in the back seat.  screaming and shoving etc.  and we were late to kindergarten, of course.   it was so funny,   i got the belt over katie's chest and ran in the house so the kids wouldn't see me laughing.   i am the mean gramma and do not tolerate misbehavior, but oh my, it was too much.  later one of the dads came home and asked anna how her day was. she said  "gramma went in the house  to laugh at us".   busted.   

when i have just one of the girls, we can go to the studio. she loves to play in the scrap box.   so maybe you can be jealous because i'm having so much fun. but it is work.  

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 43
Points 1,106
Jan replied on Fri, Jun 12 2009 6:43 PM

Lynn, I have been retired since late in 2004.  The job I had was a part-time job, working only mornings 5 days a week.  I had that job for nearly 20 years.  During that time I was also sewing professionally - mostly garment construction - bridesmaids dresses, wedding dresses and alterations.  When I realized I wasn't really enjoying the sewing job any more and I wasn't getting to do any sewing for myself that I wanted to do, I quit!!  Took some flack from long-time clients, but I have been firm about not doing any more professional sewing.  I just do what I want to do - mostly quilt.  I can say that being retired is great - much more freedom to do what we want to do.  We are much less structured - usually stay up late, computing, reading, sewing, etc., and don't get in a hurry to get going in the mornings.  If I find I have a lot to do, I make a list to make sure I stay on task.  It is very easy to grab my book and read for half an hour or so.

One thing you need to do and that is take time for yourself.  Other people, family included, will think they need to fill you time.  I do think working people are more orangized and get more done, just because of their time constraints.  But you need to look out for yourself.  Enjoy it when it happens!!!

Jan from SE Iowa

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 934
Tawnya replied on Fri, Jun 12 2009 7:40 PM

Oh Ginni,

Sounds like a wonderful way to be busy!!!!!  My son is 23 and getting ready to move to Florida in August.  It's a great move for him,  I just wish FL was closer to OH.!!!!!

Tawnya in Canton, Ohio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Fri, Jun 12 2009 8:29 PM

Hi Lynnb, If I were you, I'd be counting down the days and lining up the projects. And you know what? It's ok if you want to quilt all day, sleep all day, watch tv or be on the computer all day. This is your time to make yourself happy. You earned it, and if your like most of us you're past due. And be sure we'll all look forward to hearing about your transition. You go Girlfriend!  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 32
Points 850
lynnb replied on Sun, Jun 28 2009 2:22 PM

Kathy, you are right.  I have been able to take a couple of days off here and there pending my retirement and all I can do is sleep a little later and think about all of the things I should start doing in retirement.  Today, I just got up and starting washing all of the baseboards and decided that I should go ahead and paint them after I retire.  Consequently, I didn['t work on my project today:  it is almost the same as working.  However, I'm still heitantly looking forward to retirement. 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 32
Points 850
lynnb replied on Sun, Jun 28 2009 2:28 PM

Stephanie, I have finally started counting down the days: I've got 33 days to go.  Funny, once I really accepted it, I started lining up projects.  I put my machine in the shop and I've been cutting out one project and planning to cut another.  I figure that once I complete all of those cleaning and decorating projects for the house, I will be a quiltting diva.  Thanks for your encouragement.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Oh, LynnB, you are going to love retirement! I retired at the end of the 2007-2008 school year after teaching English for 32 years! I loved the kids, but it really was time to take time for myself.

The first thing I did was go through all the stuff I brought home from school - everything I'd purchased with my own money that I thought I could use. I ended up with enough sticky notes to supply the entire state of Wyoming from now until I die! I also had 12 bottles of Bath and Body anit-bacterial gel in " "boy smells" and "girl smells". I've discovered that sticky notes and gel make great birthday gifts. :) I also went through all my clothes and got rid of most of the school clothes. Some I was simply tired of and some I didn't like any more. I did keep a few dressier thing, but I may never wear them! Finally, I read entire series of books. If I like the first book in a series, I bought the entire series and read them one after another. I joke that I ended up with "reader's neck" - kind of like tennis elbow, but I couldn't roll over in bed at night without putting my hands behind my head to pick it up off the pillow to roll over! You'd have thought I hadn't read a novel the entire time I was teaching!

Next I went through all of my fabric and started projects. Some of my projects I really didn't like - they gave off negative energy. OK. Not really, but I had no desire to finish them. Some I gave away and some I threw away. My taste in fabric has changed over the years, so I sorted out all of the bigger pieces I no longer liked, put them in a box, and gave them to the high school FACS (formerly home ec) teacher. I obviously didn't do a thorough enough job, because I sorted again when I started putting the fabric back into the cabinets after the remodel.

I think the thing I like best is I no longer have to get up to an alarm clock. I'm not a morning person to start with, and being jerked awake by an alarm is not my idea of a great way to wake up in the morning. I do have a schedule of sorts, and I have started quilting again since I got back from quilt camp (retreat) in the middle of June. I'm still reading a ton of books. I so enjoy my retirement.

The one thing I would suggest, as others already have, is don't feel you need to immediately jump into volunteer work. I decided I would do nothing for a year, kind of like the suggestion after a significant other dies - don't make any big decisions until you've lived the altered life style for 6 months to a year. I may never volunteer. I'm really enjoying my time.

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 50
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use