rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta Posted: Wed, Jun 10 2009 10:55 PM

Hi everyone,

do you have more than one project going on at the same time? I like to have at least two projects going at the same time, like one piece for machine piecing and one piece for hand piecing or an  applique piece and of course a hand quilting piece.  I like to have more things going on at the same time, since I find it hard to hand quilt for more than 20 hours a week. There always has to be another project where the needle meets the fabric, right? Happy quilting!!!:)

Jutta, CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

I usually work on something until I get it done and then start a new project. I guess I cannot walk and chew gum at the same time LOL

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta replied on Wed, Jun 10 2009 11:13 PM

This is a good way to get things done faster. I am sure it gives you a greater sence of accomplishment.

Jutta, CA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 546
Points 11,066
Happy replied on Thu, Jun 11 2009 6:51 AM

I have 2 thing going just have to quilt a baby quilt and start an other one and I am doing a bom with some one else but after this week end things should get easyer my 17 year old graduate from high school

Happy

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 264
Points 5,053

Oh yes, I always have several things going at once.  I am hot to start something but then something else jump in my head, I put the first thing aside and start the new project.  I do always finish anything that I promised to donate first, though.  Everything I do is for my pleasure, I don't have to finish something if I don't want to.  And, I don't like to do any hand work.  I have a mail order BOM going right now and I am far behind on it because it has a lot of hand embroidery on it.  I hate hand work. 

Kathy Patterson, Fort Worth, Texas 

Kathy Patterson - Fort Worth, Texas

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 403
Points 4,864

Only a dozen or so right now!   Let's see...sitting here turning petals for a rose appliqued quilt (I am making 30 roses & I think the quilt called for 23)...each rose has 10 petals. 

I am working on (slowly) a Thanksgiving quilt I got from a magazine.  Has appliqued acorns, pumkins, leaves around the border (not sure I'll use those) & it's a Wedding ring quilt that is paper pieced.  It looks like a Seminole design in the arcs.  I hate paper-piecing, but felt it was because I didn't have enough experience with it...boy, this quilt will change that!

I have two customer quilts, one is a Noah's Arc...supposed to be a panel...but may just do fusible applique...not sure.  Other is the embroidered blocks of the customers grandma who had a stroke and can't finish the quilt.

I have a couple of table runners I am making...and several block of the months.  Such fun!

Marge

Margie Campbell
margecam52@valornet.com
TinLizzie18 LS
Littlefield, TX

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Wow!  After reading all the replies to your question, I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I usually work on only one thing at a time.  Marge, in particular, how can you keep everything straight?  Right now I do have 3 things going, but only one ( baby quilt) that has sort of a deadline.  One of the others is a BOM that I'm doing as the blocks arrive in the mail and the other one is a small wall hanging that needs only just the right border fabric to complete.

Joyce Brenden, Everett, WA

Kissimmee, FL

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 934
Tawnya replied on Thu, Jun 11 2009 12:41 PM

Hi Jutta,

I work on a few things at a time.  I have a jelly roll quilt I'm working on, a BOM at a local quilt store, a BOM from here, and a quilt I'm just making up from I think they're called charm squares.  The 5 inch pieces.  So I'm a bit skattered.  I keep everything in order by putting them in small plastic baskets along with the directions.  The BOM I have stored in a box that I got when I ordered fabric.  I decorated it so I'll stay motivated!!! LOL. 

Tawnya in Canton, Ohio

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 185

Well, I am more like Marge...many projects on-going and a couple of quilt tops finished waiting on learning to use my Juki to quilt them.  I have 2 BOM going, a table runner, a BIG pumpkin that is mostly handwork(embroidery & learning to do some beading), redwork quilt blocks that are finished but waiting to be put together....too many!  :)  I buy plastic 12 x 12 scrapbook containers when they are on sale at Michaels or Hobby Lobby to keep all of my projects in one place until completed.  It helps to keep some sanity in my work room.  Doesn't always work for the sanity part, but at least I can try to keep it all together.  I need to buy a quilting frame for my Juki TL-98E. (got it from a friend who had used it less than a year).  I saw this machine set up at the Houston show 2 years ago with a Hintenberg frame and seemed to work well.  Any info/suggestions would be welcomed. 

Happy Stitching!

Jan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Thu, Jun 11 2009 2:31 PM

hi jutta,   i have the attention span of a gnat, so i have many things going at one.  

there are at least 6 applique projects ( make that 7 i forgot one) .  two of them are projects in a folder for emergencies.  i always have two or three applique projects  completely cut out and organized and contained with all the instructions in triplicate, with a separate small plastic tub that i keep all the fabric left overs.   they have to be ready to throw in the car at a moments notice.  i don't touch these unless i need something to keep me busy for a long period.   one of these projects i took with me when mom had her heart attack and was in the hospital for 9 days.  i completely hand pieced a queen-sized lone-star that week.   my husband does spur-of-the-moment trips and i need to have projects ready to roll.     i just finished one of these this week on a twelve hour driving trip to and from sun valley.   

then there are the pieced quilts.   one, like above, is for last minute car trips to be pieced by hand.   what can i say, i get bored easily.  and usually take two or three projects on a trip, if i have room.    i have about 15 works in progress.   sometimes i will finish a small project (nothing ever stays that way;  small, i mean),   then set it aside to ponder how i will finish the borders.    the quilt i just finished i made several years ago, and just couldn't make up my mind how  to finish it.   then in march i took a class on english paper piecing,   and had a light bulb moment,   it took 5 weeks to complete the english pieced flowers and applique them on.   it is wonderful, i'll try to figure out how to post pics.   

and just two weeks ago , i was bored with whatever i was doing, and cast my eyes around the sewing room, and couldn't for the life of me remember what was in a box on the high shelf.   so i dropped what i was doing, drug out the ladder, and found two quilt centers i had made  three moves and many moons ago.   i had forgotten about them.    now that's  exciting.   and i'm glad i forgot them.  they are beautiful, and now i have better applique skills for completing them.     so, i have way too many quilts started to complete in my lifetime  ( my daughter can finish them). but, oh well !!!  

i complete 4-6 quilts a year.   one or two really nice ones and several utilitarian ones and a couple of baby quilts.   but i start nearly as many.    this coming year i will have a lot more time to quilt, so hope to finish more.   but, as they say, the best laid plans !!!.    oh, and often when i finish a quilt i will wait a year or more to complete the binding.   because when  a quilt is  done, it needs to go to another home.  i don't have room for them.     but, they are my babies and sometimes i cannot  let them go right away, so i delay finishing them until i am ready to gift them away.  does any one else have these kinds of issues, or do i need a shrink???

crazy/nuts here in idaho    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta replied on Thu, Jun 11 2009 3:01 PM

Congrats! Sounds like you are keeping busy with quilting too.

Jutta, CA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta replied on Thu, Jun 11 2009 3:12 PM

Hi Kathy,

this happens to me too. I see something I really like and I purchase the fabric and start washing and cutting the fabric and put it in a box and ready for sewing. I also knit and chrochet and needlepoint and there are projects in the works in all those catergories. Everything I do is for pleasure just like you said and don't have to finish any, but I usually do, even it takes me 10 years. Guess, I feel kind of guilty not to finish them. Still don't know what to do with those Baltimore Applique Blocks I made over 10 years ago. 

Jutta King, Lake Isabella, California

Jutta, CA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta replied on Thu, Jun 11 2009 3:18 PM

Hi Marge,

you sure make me feel better. Seigh,,,,,,,,,

Jutta King, California

Jutta, CA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta replied on Thu, Jun 11 2009 3:20 PM

Hi Joyce, I am with you, Marge is great isn't she. Her life is full of beautiful fabrics and project. I love it!

Jutta King, California

Jutta, CA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta replied on Thu, Jun 11 2009 3:27 PM

Hi Tawnya,

sounds great. I have not yet ordered a BOM, but this is something to look forward to every month. This would be something to just work in while working on other projects. Thank you for your reply.

Jutta King, California

Jutta, CA

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use