Work space for layering your quilt?

Page 1 of 5 (75 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 74 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. Posted: Tue, Jun 9 2009 6:44 PM

How do you find a large enough space for layering your top/batting/backing?  Most of my floors are carpeted so I can't use the floor (besides I'm getting too old to be crawling around on the floor).  My cutting table is not large enough for anything bigger than a small crib size quilt.  Has anyone figured out a temporary or portable solution?  Something that can be set up for layering then put away after?  Please share your ideas.

Sandy

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 170
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 264
Points 5,053

I have a long arm so I don't have to bother with the layering anymore.  My friend has a ping pong table in her garage.  I think they fold up fairly easy.  Perhaps you could find one at a garage sale or Craigslist, if you had the space to store it folded up.

kp

Kathy Patterson - Fort Worth, Texas

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

I butt two banquet tables together but that will only work for twins. I guess you could use a couple of banquet tables and put something on top of them to extend it out. Just trowing out ideas here, have not actually tried this yet. 

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Tue, Jun 9 2009 11:21 PM

look around for places in your community you can use.  churches are a good resource, some schools, community hall, grange halls, sometimes your local quilt stores will make a table available ( i've had several offer their space), how about finding a friend with a big house and vinyl floors?  i have basted a quilt on a carpet before, but my husband was a little annoyed when i had to cut away some carpet nap to release the quilt from the floor.   good luck   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Wed, Jun 10 2009 12:52 PM

Kathy,

A ping pong table is a great idea.  I immediately went on Craig's list and found one for $50, however, when I realized how big they are (even when folded up), I had to give up that idea.  I don't think DH would be too happy if all his lawn equipment got put out of the garage!  But maybe some of my friends have one ... hmmm.

Thanks,

Sandy

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 403
Points 4,864

There are some really good videos by Sharon Schamber on Youtube.  She has a way to  baste, using a kitchen table.  She uses a flat board (like baseboard, or 1 x 4" board in width of quilt (I have done with less than width of quilt...works just fine...I worked in sections. 

Here is a link to the Youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA&feature=related

Also look for part two.. I usually just subscribe to the persons videos.

Marge

Margie Campbell
margecam52@valornet.com
TinLizzie18 LS
Littlefield, TX

• | Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta replied on Thu, Jun 11 2009 5:25 PM

Hi Marge,

that video with the trim board was great. I might just try and use that technique myself, because I spend at least a few hours on the hardwood floor to sandwich a king size quilt.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip.

Jutta King, California

Jutta, CA

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Thu, Jun 11 2009 6:56 PM

Thanks, Marge.  That's a pretty nifty idea.  I even have some 1x4's here so I can try it.

Sandy

Southwest Florida

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Sandy--

Just a quick thought.  Would a folded ping  pong table slide under your bed?  I'm always finding things to store under mine.

Joyce, Everett, WA

Kissimmee, FL

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Thu, Jun 11 2009 7:23 PM

Have you every seen of those things??!!  It's about 9' long by 5' wide and when it's folded up on its stand it looks like one of those fighter jets on an aircraft carrier!!  (LOL)   I was amazed at how much space you would need to store one.  I did think about maybe buying one and donating it to the church with the stipulation that I could use it when I needed to layer a quilt.  (BTW, every bed in my house has stuff stored under it too.)

Thanks,

Sandy

Southwest Florida

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy replied on Thu, Jun 11 2009 7:34 PM

Sandy,

Since my front room is narrow and long, laying a quilt on the floor here just doesn't work unless its a baby quilt. When I make one that needs more room I go to our church fellowship hall and lay it out there. I only live 1-3/4 miles from there so its convenient for me to do so.  I was doing that one night when I first started and it was council night.  One of the councilmen that is just a smidge older than I told me I was taking it a little far but all the others thought it was great and the quilt very nice. Needless to say I continued to do so. Now with my knees getting bad I do it on the tables (I pull 2 or 3 together) instead of crawling on the floor.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,553
Points 139,403
Stephanie replied on Thu, Jun 11 2009 11:01 PM

Hi Sandy,

I usually use the garage floor but like many I am getting a little old for that. I have lately been thinking out of the box and am considering trying to do this vertically on a wall. My thought for smaller quilts is to tape the backing fabric to the wall hopefully with blue painters tape and use spray adhesive to add the batting and top layer. I know I can push  a few straight sewing  pins into the wall to reinforce only doing minute damage, or  I have seen in art galleries a trim piece that is mounted on the wall  that  is used with hooks so that paintings can be moved and changed from place to place without damaging the walls.   My thought on that was to arrange the hooks according to the size of quilt I had, and baste the backing layer to a dowell rod, or pvc  place it on the hooks and allow it to hang down the wall. Then it would be supported for the weight of it so I could smooth it and tape. Then I'd use spray adhesive and roll my batting on a 1x2 or pvc, line it up and unroll it down the wall onto my backing and the same with the quilt top. After the basting process the quilt could be removed the hooks returned and pictures rehung, and all I have to store are a couple peices of pvc. I'm still in the thought process but I have a queen size quilt I'm getting ready to experiment with so I'll let you know how it works out.

Stephanie  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Fri, Jun 12 2009 12:21 AM

let us know how this works   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,742
Points 364,852
Kris replied on Fri, Jun 12 2009 12:59 AM

Hi Sandy,

I use my cutting table no matter the quilt size. I center the layers, pull them taut and clamp them to the table's edge using large binder clips I bought at Staples. After pinning that section I shift it over to get the rest. I think I saw Eleanor Burns do this on her quilt show.

I have a quilting frame and machine set up and it a lot less hassle to put the quilt on a frame but I usually have more than one thing going on and I like to hand quilt a lot.

Is there a local community center or meeting place close by with large tables that you can use?

Good luck finding a solution. There have been some great suggestions so far.

Kris

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 82
Points 1,625
Candy replied on Fri, Jun 12 2009 7:24 AM

Hi Sandy,

I do the same thing as Kris...I use my cutting table, no matter what the quilt size.  Works great!  Sure beats crawling on your knees on the floor! 

Candy in Wi

Candy in Wi

When life gives you scraps, Make quilts!!!

Page 1 of 5 (75 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use