althea, thanks for sharing,   you trreasure is stunning.    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 465
Points 33,515

Althea,

I have an idea, not a promise, since I am only part of the decision-making team, but...

On Quilt Out Loud Mark & I are going to do an "Ask Mark & Jodie" segment for each episode. This is a great question for it. What we'd really, really like to do is get you on video asking the question and showing the quilt.

This gives us the opportunity to pose the question to the experts at the Alliance for American Quilts. (I'm on the BOD and so bleive in the cause, so this is right up my alley. BTW, we're talking about get rid of "American" from the name, since we really are international.) Merikay Waldvogel would most likely agree to answer your question. And who better????

Shall I propose it for our next round of episodes?

~Jodie

P.S. Jayne is doing great. She and dad will be here for the fourth of July. I keep trying to keep them here ;)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,932
Points 233,952
Thea replied on Wed, Jun 17 2009 10:54 PM

Jody, The answer is an unequivacal YES!!!

I am so so so proud of all you are doing!  I wish I had half of your energy.  I was watching an episode of Nancy's Notions and Kim Denault was on and it brought back so many memories of our first retreat... That was just so much fun!

God bless and many warm quilty days,

Althea

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,932
Points 233,952
Thea replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 1:30 AM

Leigh, here is my antique quilt.  I hope that you are able to date yours - the kits for quilts like that were made for quite a few years.  Check and see if you have someone in your area  that does appraisals, they should be able to help you.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 11:41 AM

What does one do with an antique quilt, besides store it?  I have a beautiful quilt that I was told my grandmother's aunt made for my grandmother for her wedding.  I think she married when she was 16, and she died in 1990 at 100 years of age.   That would make it 104 years old, if my information is correct.   It is really in good shape I think for that age, although there are some thins spots and a couple small rips.  At one time I thought of hanging it on a wall, but I am afraid it is to fragile for that.  It has very intricate quilting, a very pretty pattern but difficult to see because it is so wrinkled.  

Which reminds me, Thea, I would be afraid to try and quilt your heirloom as old as it is as the new stiching would be tough on the old fabric.  Kind of like new wine into old wine skins?

Anyway, here are a couple pictures of my grandmother's quilt.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 12:01 PM

Patti

Your quilt is beautiful.  Have you considered laying it across your loft railing?  The rail looks to be large so it would distribute the weight more evenly and would be easier on your quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,932
Points 233,952
Thea replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 12:19 PM

Pati, Your antique quilt is beautiful.  My Star quilt top could be quilted without a problem.  it is amazing that the material is as strong as it is.  It is actually a heavier cotton then we use now.  There are now worn spots at all.  there are a couple what looks like drops of blood on it.

I would very much like to display it in some way and am waiting to find out what Jodie decides to do on the programming.  I am also contacting museums in Toronto Canada to see if they would like it - My GGGGrandmother was born in Scotland England but lived almost her entire life in the Toronto area.

Thank you so much for sharing yours!  We are asking what each of you would do with an antique quilt - would you quilt it - would you hide it away - would you use it - how would you quilt it!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,949
gini replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 5:26 PM

patti, it is absolutely stunning.  have you thought of donating it to a museum tht could store and preserve it, especially because it has it's history with it.   and, have you thought of  making another one just like it that you could use and store the original?   it is so pretty, it  is sad to think it is hidden away.   thanks for sharing it with us.    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,949
gini replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 5:32 PM

thea, i really should read all the posts before i jump in,   it looks like we had similar advice.   i like to buy old quilt tops cheaply and practice my machine quilting on them.   however, i found a beautiful appliqued quilt top that i am going to hand quilt as soon as i can find the right colored thread.  whenever i find antique quilts for a bargain i snap them up and use them.   i have one on the back bed now.    it has a few stains that i am going to try and cut out and replace with new muslin.    and i keep searching for really worn ones that i can cut up and use,   haven't found any at the right price yet.   gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 205

What a great dilemma to have - a beautiful family heirloom with lots of history.  If it were me, given what you've said about being the last quilter and all, I would contact some museums (as many as I could find!) to ask their advice, and get a sense of the value they place upon the unquilted top.  I know there are quilt specific museums out there, but can't deliver on names or locations.  The best thing is, with the length of time it's been unquilted, there's sure no rush to do it before you are comfortable doing it!

leigh

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 325
Points 5,577
Joanne replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 6:08 PM

Althea, you said that you posted a photo of your quilt  here as well as in Show and Tell,  i do not see it here at all....Am I looking in the wrong place

Why don't you contact the Canadian Quilt Guild, and/or send them a photograph along with your fabulous story. 

I am sorry Althea, you probably welcomed me to QCA when I joined, where are you from in Canada, I am from BC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,932
Points 233,952
Thea replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 6:09 PM

leigh - I am hoping Jodie gets a go on the show and then get advice from experts as to what they would do - it is a real treasure to me and I am so proud to own it but I think it belongs to Canada as My GGGGrandmother lived there her entire life.  Her family gave them Milne land that they built Edwards Gardens on so I think they might really like to have something like this - especially as it is in A-1 condition.  I will have had it and am willing to pass it on to a better market - one that can enjoy it as much as I have.

I am waiting first to see what happens with QOL.  Then make my decisions and write it up in my will so if anything happens to me my heirs will know what I want done with it.  I wish I could know why she didn't quilt it as she lived quite a few years after she made it... something someday I will ask her.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 325
Points 5,577
Joanne replied on Mon, Jan 18 2010 6:11 PM

Patti, I  Loooove your quilt, it is absolute stunning.  It looks fantastic hanging from the loft railing. 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 37
Points 1,035

I just want to say that both Antique quilts shown in this thread are wonderful.  A sewn on label about the history of a family quilt is best as it won't get lost and future generations are more likely to value it if they know where it came from.

If you want to give it to a museum be sure you know how it will be cared for, if it will be displayed or just kept in storage and if they will keep the quilt or might sell it to earn funds for the museum. Money is tight with most of them right now.

Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use