Top 10 Posters

Farm Animals and such

Page 171 of 172 (2570 items) « First ... < Previous 168 169 170 171 172 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,569 Replies | 42 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 10:18 AM | Locked

Ms Cricket's mom,

Pickles and I send tearful hugs your way!  Such good memories we have of adventures with Ms Cricket!  Someday I'll get to dance with her again when I, too, cross that rainbow bridge.

~Calley

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,585
Points 75,810
Karla replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 12:14 PM | Locked

I only met Ms. Cricket at one fur baby retreat, but she taught me to drive and I was able to sneak Mom's truck out and race along with that red car with Ms. Cricket driving.  I will surely miss her until we meet at that Rainbow Bridge.

Kaci

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 2:08 PM | Locked

Marlene, my heart just aches for you.  Ms. Cricket was so very special.  You know she is in good company now with all her friends that met her at the Rainbow Bridge.

((((HUGS))))

Max

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,726
Points 364,652
Kris replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 4:58 PM | Locked

Oh Marlene,

We're so sorry for your loss. Miss Cricket got us started on this road.

Oco and Orca

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 9:59 PM | Locked

Many thanks everyone for your kind words of sympathy on the passing of Ms. Cricket.  She was very, very special to me and I miss her more than words can say.

I would give up all my sewing machines and fabric just to have her back.  But I know its just not possible.  A piece of me went with her.

Thanks for being so kind to me.

Hugs,

Marlene

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 12:52 AM | Locked

Marlene

Pancho and I are both just devastated with this news.  Ms Cricket was his little sweetheart and we loved her.   I can imagine how hard this time is for you.  I know when I loose one of my furbabies its like loosing a child.   Pancho and I both send big hugs to you.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,370
Points 174,978
Marie replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 10:38 AM | Locked

Marlene, so sorry Ms. Cricket has gone to Rainbow Bridge.  She'll be amongst many friends but your heart is broken and for that I am so so sorry.  (((((HUGS)))))

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,080
Points 16,555
weezee56 replied on Thu, Aug 1 2013 2:36 PM | Locked

Marlene sorry to here about Ms. Cricket. When my Cher passed I cried for 3 days.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,334
Points 20,045
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 4:34 PM | Locked

My baby girls are growing up so quickly...  They will be 16 weeks on Sunday.  The chicken forum I'm on thinks the red one in the middle will be laying eggs within a month - I'm so excited!  

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,402
Points 415,629
gini replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 4:43 PM | Locked

Cute hens.  My daughter was instrumental inverting the farm animal law in Seattle so you can have animals in the city.  She has 6 hens, and they are pretty entertaining.   She also helped start a city farm animal organic food co op.  for feeding healthy food to the animals

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,726
Points 364,652
Kris replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 8:07 PM | Locked

Carolyn,

the black and white one is my favourite.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 10:15 PM | Locked

Carolyn, the chickens wont start laying until 6 months, don't forget to add calcium to their diet to help their shells harden, I use ground oyster shells from the feed store

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 11:10 PM | Locked

What kind of chicken is the fuzzy white one?  Too cute!  

Keep your chickens protected from roaming dogs.  Our neighbor's dog joined us on a walk one day, and when we passed another neighbor's drive, Scooter darted in, grabbed and killed one of their free-range chickens, and then dropped it at Randy's feet just as the chicken's owner came running out of the house.  Needless to say, those neighbors do not consider us friends anymore.

I see creeping charlie has taken over your yard just as it has taken over ours.  Pungent smelling stuff, don't you think?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,334
Points 20,045
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Wed, Aug 21 2013 8:50 AM | Locked

Leslie :

Carolyn, the chickens wont start laying until 6 months, don't forget to add calcium to their diet to help their shells harden, I use ground oyster shells from the feed store

Shhhhh!!!!  Don't tell my girls that.  I'm hoping they'll start a little early!  :)  Really, I'm just hoping they get started before the days get too short.  I'm not sure yet whether I want to light/heat the coop or not.  I have heard recommendations both ways.  Thanks for the tip about the calcium - we started ground up oyster shell last week.  It's in a separate container from their food - like what we do for grit.  They're still eating chick starter for now, but I plan to switch over to layer feed when this batch runs out.

MNnancy:

What kind of chicken is the fuzzy white one?  Too cute!  

Keep your chickens protected from roaming dogs.  Our neighbor's dog joined us on a walk one day, and when we passed another neighbor's drive, Scooter darted in, grabbed and killed one of their free-range chickens, and then dropped it at Randy's feet just as the chicken's owner came running out of the house.  Needless to say, those neighbors do not consider us friends anymore.

I see creeping charlie has taken over your yard just as it has taken over ours.  Pungent smelling stuff, don't you think?

The fuzzy white one is a silkie bantam.  

Yikes!  I'm sorry to hear about the dog/chicken incident.  Although, I think most chicken owners know that this is a known risk of birds that free range anywhere near dogs.

Ours currently free-ranging in our backyard, which is fenced to keep neighborhood dogs out and they stay in their coop at night.  Technically, the chickens could get over the fence if they wanted to, but the yard is big enough that they rarely even go close to the fence.  They also have a very large protected run, but it's not working now, since they figured out how to get out.  Someday, we'll probably repair that and they might have to go back to staying in the run when we're away from home.  

Yeah, the creeping charlie is everywhere.  We have very little actual grass in our yard.  We just "mow what comes up" and it's good enough for me.  DH wants to rip out the whole yard and replace it with pretty perfect grass.  I have SO many other things I could think of that I'd rather spend the time and money on.... :)

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Wed, Aug 21 2013 10:10 AM | Locked

Carolyn, sorry lol.   I put a heat light in my coop during the winter,   their egg laying doesn't slow down when the days grow shorter with it

[Ava, Missouri

Page 171 of 172 (2570 items) « First ... < Previous 168 169 170 171 172 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use