Top 10 Posters

Farm Animals and such

Page 169 of 172 (2570 items) « First ... < Previous 167 168 169 170 171 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,569 Replies | 42 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,981
Points 368,897
Kris replied on Sun, Jun 23 2013 6:04 PM | Locked

Nana:
I have been very remiss in getting a pic posted of my new baby....Remy.   He is now 4 months old and very active. 

He's cute. Thanks for the pics.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 10:51 PM | Locked

Hi all.  Patti hasn't settled on a name yet.   She uses "miss kitty" more often than anything else.  Oh, my life is so much better these days.  There I was, homeless with 3 kittens.  I wandered up the long driveway, and there, a car port.  Finally a shelter.  But I was very scared when the humans came by.  But the woman talked to me and brought me food.  I just hissed.  The next day she made a wonderful soft bed.  Then there was real cat food the following day.  I so wanted to trust, but I was afraid.  I'd follow at a distance, but when she turned around I'd hiss.  She sat in a chair about 20 feet away.  Slowly I inched closer, until my head was under her hand.  And she softly scratched my head, then under my neck.   Oh bliss!  I am not afraid anymore.

But sometimes, I am confused.  She is happy when I catch chipmunks and mice, but not so pleased when I catch birds.  She has tried to block my way into the fenced garden.  But has not yet been successful.  She will let me in sometimes so I can keep her company, but if I even look at a bird, I hear "no, no kitty."   It's more difficult, but I can still slip in.  More challenging yes, but when those baby birds are in the yard in the early morning. . . it is just too tempting.  Oh, and for some reason, she won't let me in house.  I did get in the door a couple times, but she scooted me out.

And my kitties?  There are 3 of them.  They have gained weight just like me.  But still won't let Patti get within a couple feet.  But they do feel safe enough now to come out and play.  

Life is so much better!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 11:18 PM | Locked

Kitty

It sounds like you have found a wonderful new home.  My mom says Ms Patti is really sweet.

Pancho and Remy

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 11:25 AM | Locked

Miss Kitty, my Mom gets mad when the neighbor feral cats go after the birds, too.  It must be a Mom thing.  I am a dog and I go after cats, but I don't catch them, I just want to play, They run up a tree or out of the yard.  It upsets me that they won't play with me...they just hiss at me and run away.  I would love to play with them but they all seem to be afraid of me.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 9:34 PM | Locked

Casey, I wouldn't run away from you.  I'm used to all kinds of dogs hanging around our house.  Sometimes if mom or dad is reading on the deck, I join the dogs sunning at their feet, but mostly I stay in the house and kiss my boyfriend Scooter the springer spaniel through the screen door.

Miss Kitty, I LOVE birds!  I watch them all day through the windows.  There is a robin making a nest on top of mom's flower basket just outside the bedroom window.  Sometimes I can't help myself and I give that bird the "death chatter." Mom won't open that window because she says that even though I'm well fed, I would probably make dessert of that bird.  What can I say?  It's what cats do!

~Pickles

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,842
Points 123,735
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 5:26 PM | Locked

Got a question. We are considering adopting a rescue pooch. Some of you may have seen my postings on Facebook. She's a 7 month old Corgi/spaniel mix and is way too cute. Seriously adorable. We were supposed to get her tomorrow morning. But the rescue organization just called and said she has tested positive for heartworms, stage 1. She will receive treatment but can't be released until she's heartworm free. Possibly 4 weeks or more.

I've tried to research this online and haven't gotten a clear answer to my question. What risks are we taking if we adopt this pup? We already have a special needs dog with medical bills and faces an iffy future. We love this dog beyond reason and not sure we want to face falling in love with another dog who may need lots of medical attention.

If the treatment gets rid of the heart worms do they stay away? I do have a call into my own vet but he's out of town and won't be able to return my call until next week. That's fine, we don't have to decide right away. But I thought I'd ask you guys and see if any of you have had experience with a dog with heartworms.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530
Melissa Halpain replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 5:40 PM | Locked

We've had dogs with heart worm as we live in the mountains with a lot of ticks and fleas. I haven't noticed any additional medical problems. This is just my observations and not very informative. Good luck with your decision. I do know the treatment is like a poison but so is chemo. Just my opinion.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 0
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 7:26 PM | Locked

Judy

Once the heartworms are cleared the dog will be perfectly healthy.  The issues come if the heartworms have damaged the heart but you usually don't see that if they are caught early.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 7:56 PM | Locked

Judy T-Bellingham:
If the treatment gets rid of the heart worms do they stay away?

What a shame the previous owner didn't protect the dog from mosquitoes!  I guess that's one of the reasons she's a rescue dog.

Once a month during mosquito season, give your dog Heartguard.  It kills any heartworm larvae that are trying to make a home in your pet.  We actually give Calley Heartguard year round because it actually kills any kind of worm and she is always picking up stinky stuff she finds in the woods.

We use Frontline during tick season.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 8:45 PM | Locked

All of our pets over the years have been rescue pets, but none have had heart worms, thank goodness.  We are in an area that has had only one case of heart worms in the past 5 years, but we have been instructed that if we should take our dogs down to the valley where my Dad lives to give her Heartguard for at least a month before we go down there as they are prevalent in that area.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,842
Points 123,735
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 9:40 PM | Locked

Karla:
All of our pets over the years have been rescue pets, but none have had heart worms, thank goodness.

We have very little heartworm here in the Pacific Northwest. This little pup was rescued from Puerto Rico where it is very common. Thank goodness this particular rescue organization is very thorough in running medical tests on the animals before releasing them for adoption. 

Nana, thanks for your input about heartworm. I did get a call from one of the other vets in the clinic and he said exactly the same thing you did. The dog is only 7 months old, it was caught early. She will be fine with treatment. We are so excited to meet her tomorrow morning.  We will be anxious for her to get better so we can bring her home.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530
Melissa Halpain replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 10:12 PM | Locked

Judy, I am so happy for you. I can't wait to see pictures of your new family member. I hope it's not too long before you can get her. Congratulations.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,842
Points 123,735
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Fri, Jul 12 2013 11:14 PM | Locked

MNnancy:
What a shame the previous owner didn't protect the dog from mosquitoes!  I guess that's one of the reasons she's a rescue dog.

Poor little puppy was found huddled under a car, starving and terrified. In Puerto Rico! Can you believe it?  The outfit in Oak Harbor, WA, here on Whidbey Island, specializes in rescuing dogs from other countries. They had her flown here. 

When we traveled back to Minnesota and through the Midwest and Southwest our Vet put Corki on Heartguard plus flea and tick meds. It's not so much of an issue around here but it can happen.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 6:13 PM | Locked

This is Bailey...she's coming to live with us.  My Mom said the people who owned her lived in a small apartment and couldn't keep her and she didn't want to be taken to the Animal Control Shelter, which she says isn't "a no kill shelter".  I'm not sure about her, but she does play pretty good, but she hasn't learned who is boss and that Mom is mine.  She can drink from my water bowl and eat from my food bowl (even though she has her own water and food bowls), but she can't have my Mom.  She is pretty cute though and Mom says she's only 1 year old.  Mom says running around with her might help me lose weight, since I need to lose about 8 lbs.  

This is Bailey,,,she's a little smaller than me.

And this is me and Bailey...Dad had some treats for us.  He said she had to learn to do some tricks like me, but they said I was the best at doing tricks.

Kaci

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 6:16 PM | Locked

Oops, one of the pictures didn't post, even though it showed up in the

Page 169 of 172 (2570 items) « First ... < Previous 167 168 169 170 171 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use