Top 10 Posters

Farm Animals and such

Page 166 of 172 (2570 items) « First ... < Previous 164 165 166 167 168 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,569 Replies | 42 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 186
Points 3,655
Bobbie Joe Klebe replied on Fri, May 24 2013 7:40 AM | Locked

So excited! Just got a Lamancha buckling and a doeling!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Fri, May 24 2013 8:45 AM | Locked

Had to look that up.  What do you like about these goats?  Would love to see pictures.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 186
Points 3,655
Bobbie Joe Klebe replied on Fri, May 24 2013 9:09 AM | Locked

The Lamancha is a old American breed of goat. They are very friendly, have great temperament, easy to train and handle. They have a good butterfat % and can produce a gallon of milk a day even if you are still letting her kid nurse.

I hope that I will be able to get all our dairy from them. An added plus is that I hope to be able to make some soap!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Fri, May 24 2013 9:14 AM | Locked

That sounds great Bobbie.  My sister used to have goats.  She made the most wonderful cheese.  It was a learning process however.   Her first batch was barely edible. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 186
Points 3,655
Bobbie Joe Klebe replied on Fri, May 24 2013 9:28 AM | Locked

Yes, I have been doing a lot of reading. I was surprised to find out that a lot of the great cheeses were/are rolled in ash. There is one that is wrapped in grape leaves. 

I am going to start with the traditional soft cheeses.

It will be awhile before I will be able to start tho. My babies are just over 2 months old.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Fri, May 24 2013 10:14 AM | Locked
Ahhhh, look at the cute little bunny. Oh, he is eating the penstemon. That's OK, as long as he only eats the stalks that have fallen down. Darn, I need new batteries in my camera. Found them. Now where is he. Look, he's torn up the moss Dad planted. Hey!!! get out of my sugar snap peas! Little pest has eaten half a row of shoots! I need a better screen. Trip to home depot. for screen and more seeds.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,587
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Fri, May 24 2013 12:02 PM | Locked

MNnancy:
P.S. My mom says she didn't know voles could kill trees.  What do they do that harms them?

Hi Calley, my Mom says they eat the tree roots.  They also burrow and eat bulbs, like her tulips, daffodils and irises.  They seem to be pesky little things in yards and gardens and I found out they certainly don't play well cuz' they bite, but at least they don't leave quills.  Thank goodness I haven't run into any of those critters around here.  I also like to chase birds...they drive me crazy in my trees.  Dad says I would make a good bird dog if I wasn't so afraid of loud noises, like guns make.  They took me with them once with went target shooting and I was so afraid of the noise that I spent the whole time under the seat in the truck.  They don't take me with them anymore.

Kaci

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 429
Points 8,585
tnmtgrl replied on Fri, May 24 2013 2:30 PM | Locked

Couldn't pass this picture up...my two baby girls sleeping under my quilt frame while I was quilting.........

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 186
Points 3,655
Bobbie Joe Klebe replied on Fri, May 24 2013 5:47 PM | Locked

This is my Lamanchas.

My little buckling.

Buckling and my doeling.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,542
Points 51,250
Ginny replied on Fri, May 24 2013 5:55 PM | Locked

Oh the fun of keeping the critters out of the garden,  Patti   Good luck    Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,542
Points 51,250
Ginny replied on Fri, May 24 2013 5:56 PM | Locked

Oh the baby goats sound like a lot of fun.   I love goat cheese.     Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,667
Points 120,370
Judy Taylor-Bellingham replied on Fri, May 24 2013 5:56 PM | Locked

Bobbie Jo. Beautiful goats. I love the animals. My daughter volunteers at a goat rescue farm. http://newmoonfarm.org/  She's ended up adopting four goats. One turned out to be part Fainting goat. They couldn't figure out why Norma Jean always wanted to stand next to a post or wall. They found out when she up and fainted when my daughter walked up behind her and put a hand on her back! 

She enters them in the annual fundraiser, GoatAlympics. I do my part by donating a goat theme quilt each year to their auction.

She even walked her big goat, Odie,  in the Jingle Bell Run for Arthritis last year. He made newspapers and local TV news.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Fri, May 24 2013 8:28 PM | Locked

Bobbie Joe,  love the pictures.  Looks like goat heaven.  

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,362
Points 37,135
Linda replied on Fri, May 24 2013 9:30 PM | Locked

Love the goat pictures. My vet use to have minature goats that were so cute.

Indy sleeps on his back too, but I can never get a picture. He's light sleeper and last night was so funny the way he was up against the dresser in the computer room with 2 pillows and 1 of his blankets. Cracked me up. But the minute I moved to get the camera he woke up. The little stinker!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, May 24 2013 9:43 PM | Locked

Karla:
Dad says I would make a good bird dog if I wasn't so afraid of loud noises, like guns make.

Funny you should mention that.  My mom took me to the vet last September because she noticed I started trembling and got clingy every day around 3:30 pm.  She thought I had a tick bite or something that gave me a fever that spiked every day at that time.  The vet ruled out anything physical, and it was several weeks later that mom finally figured out that was the time when the neighbor boys would go out target shooting.  I didn't use to be afraid of guns, but for some reason, I am now.  Just like I used to love to ride in the car with my dad, but now I don't.

~Calley

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Page 166 of 172 (2570 items) « First ... < Previous 164 165 166 167 168 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use