Top 10 Posters

Farm Animals and such

Page 165 of 172 (2570 items) « First ... < Previous 163 164 165 166 167 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,569 Replies | 42 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, May 8 2013 10:27 AM | Locked

Carolyn (CarolBeau):
and if you think you might want to hatch your own chicks one day, having a rooster will give you fertile eggs. 

So then there is more chance that your eggs might have an embryo developing, right?  Yuck, hate bloody eggs.  I think anyone who lives close to others should not have roosters.  Other than that, I think all towns should allow backyard hen houses!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,354
Points 20,385
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Wed, May 8 2013 1:41 PM | Locked

MNnancy:

Carolyn (CarolBeau):
and if you think you might want to hatch your own chicks one day, having a rooster will give you fertile eggs. 

So then there is more chance that your eggs might have an embryo developing, right?  Yuck, hate bloody eggs.  I think anyone who lives close to others should not have roosters.  Other than that, I think all towns should allow backyard hen houses!

Well, here I go again speaking about something I have no experience with, but I think blood in eggs is caused by something going wrong with the hen while the egg is forming?  I know it can happen in eggs that have never been fertilized, so I don't know that it's necessarily related to the development of the embryo.

I personally don't mind the noise from roosters, but I know I'm in the minority there.  :)  In my neighborhood, our lots are about an acre to a few acres and so my neighbors are fairly close without being right on top of me.  For that reason, I'll never get one, because I know I'm close enough that it might bother the neighbors.  However, it bugs me when I think about it because I *constantly* hear lawn mowers and power washers and all kinds of various machines running all the time and the roosters aren't any louder than that, but they bother people a lot more for some reason.  My husband is one of those that can't *stand* it (another reason I'll never have one).  Maybe it's just a different noise and one that people have a harder time ignoring?  It's definitely not louder than all the machines our neighbors are constantly running and, in my opinion, it's less offensive, because it's natural.  But I know I am in the minority with respect to that and I'll never have one as long as the hens I ordered all grow up to really be hens (fingers crossed!)

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 498
Points 10,010
tnmtgrl replied on Wed, May 8 2013 2:57 PM | Locked

Carolyn (CarolBeau):

Tnmtngrl, your girls are pretty. Are they Rhode Island reds?  We have one of those. :)

Thanx Carolyn.....they are red sex link pullets....a cross betwwen a Rhode Island Red and a Leghorn...they are great layers and are very docile.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Wed, May 8 2013 6:54 PM | Locked

I think it's more the time at which they crow, not necessarily the noise level.  In our neighborhood people don't mow their lawns or use chain saws, etc before 8 am...in the summer when it gets very hot, very early, sometimes 7 am.  The roosters start crowing at about 5 am...and those who don't have to get up to go to work don't usually get up at 5 am.  I, for one, don't mind the sound of the roosters crowing, but I do mind the sound of the feral cat fights all through the night.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Wed, May 8 2013 8:59 PM | Locked

here is our resident phoebe.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,354
Points 20,385
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Thu, May 9 2013 12:38 PM | Locked

Patti, what a great shot of mama bird and her 2 babies!  :)

Raleigh, NC

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,388
Points 37,625
Linda replied on Thu, May 9 2013 12:40 PM | Locked

How beautiful is that...mamma bird and her babies!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,953
Points 368,332
Kris replied on Thu, May 9 2013 6:15 PM | Locked

Love the photo Patti. Thanks.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,354
Points 20,385
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Mon, May 13 2013 2:24 PM | Locked

Karla,  Good point about the early morning hours.  

Here are some selected shots of my girls.  They're growing up SO quickly.  The cat and the young dog who likes to chase the cat surprisingly are not really impressed.  However, the older dog who usually just lies around all day has lots of new life in him that we haven't seen in years.  lol.  Don't worry.  The girls will remain protected until they're plenty big and he was fine around adult chickens when our neighbors had them in the past.  

But to see him now...  lol.  He is SUCH a dog and he can't EVEN stand these baby chicks!!  It's so funny.  The first couple days, he would go through his whole bag of tricks when they were around.  I think he really thinks that if he's good enough, he's going to get to have one.  And he's trying SO hard to be good.  lol.  He's slowly learning that he's not going to get to *have* one, no matter how many tricks he does  

Raleigh, NC

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Mon, May 13 2013 11:02 PM | Locked

very cute Carolyn.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,953
Points 368,332
Kris replied on Thu, May 16 2013 2:02 AM | Locked

Carolyn,

the chicks and the dog are to darned cute. I love the pics of him peering into their home.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Thu, May 16 2013 10:59 AM | Locked

Really cute, Carolyn.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Thu, May 23 2013 6:26 PM | Locked

Hi everybody

I am upset.  Last night as I was outside watching for cats (you know those feral ones like to visit my yard after dark), I saw this furry little thing pop its head up...I chased it and I caught it.  It bit me on the nose, but it won't bite anybody anymore, I took care of that.  But I'm upset because my Mom and Dad wouldn't let me keep it to play with (well maybe I was going to chew it up, but it deserved it for biting me).  My Mom says it was a vole, and she's glad it wasn't a rat.  Now they're looking for the hole it popped out of so they can destroy the colony as they say that's probably what is killing their trees.

Have any of you ever caught anything wild like that?  I've almost caught some of the feral cats, but they usually make it up the tree before I can get them.  One night I stayed out all night guarding the tree, waiting for that cat to come down.  It didn't come down, at least it didn't until Mom made me come in the house.  She sure likes to spoil my fun.  

Kaci

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, May 23 2013 9:29 PM | Locked

Good job catching that furry rodent, Kaci!  I do love to chase squirrels, but I've never caught one.  We have a slow moving critter that I sometimes corner in the yard.  All I have to do is sniff it, like I would with any of my doggy friends, and it leaves sharp quills in my nose and lips.  My friend Scooter tells me to avoid biting it because he's experienced the quills in his mouth, and he says that is NO FUN!

~Calley

P.S. My mom says she didn't know voles could kill trees.  What do they do that harms them?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Page 165 of 172 (2570 items) « First ... < Previous 163 164 165 166 167 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use