Top 10 Posters

What kind of sewing machine do you have?

Page 6 of 21 (307 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 306 Replies | 30 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,247
Kris replied on Fri, Nov 5 2010 7:38 PM

Maureen :
I have all the softwear and all. the whole embroidery package (3D). funny thing is, when I went to go (finally) to take a class on how to use everything... classes were already given for 4D and 5D! So I a mlearning slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwly and all by my lonesome.

Maureen,

the website should have tutorials for your software. I have a Pfaff 2170 and initially purchase the 3D suite. I upgraded to 4D but haven't gotten much use out of it because half the time Windows Vista (crap software) does not recognise the dongle. I thought of upgrading to 5D but not sure it's worth it at this point.

Anyway, they have a learning center on line for this software.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 5 2010 10:00 PM

Kris

I use windows vista and had to download a new driver to use with my embroidery machine so that it would work.  Even though my computer is 32bit I had to download a 64 bit driver so that the Bernina software would work.  Does your machine company have a help site to answer software questions.  That is where I got the info about needing the new driver.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 145

I'm new to all of you,   Hi I'm Lynda  California.  Haven't done a whole quilt yet but I will or I will be laughed out of town.  I have so much fab. according to my friends, but I ended up with RA before I finished my first one.  Well almost ready now just have to get the partner in my room and away I go hopefuly with all of you seasoned ones, because I may need a lot of tips.  My Grand-daughter really want one so I will.  I do have the Viking designer got 2ed hand. thought I would like to embordery to but I only have the 3D software and now I know that the (Vista) could be my problem, thanks I will look into that as it never worked for me.  Oh well I wanted to quilt anyways, but if anyone knows for sure let me know.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sat, Nov 6 2010 12:05 AM

Welcome Lynda

Hope you have a great time on the site and drop in to chat with us frequently.  I also have RA and quilting is my therapy.  It helps me forget the pain and get on with life.  I sew some everyday and love it.  I will be awaiting pics of that first beautiful quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,704
gini replied on Sat, Nov 6 2010 12:57 AM

welcome lynda,   i have a viking designer 1, it is a great machine.   i'm sorry about the RA.   no one here will laugh at you,   i consider myself a fabric collector.  gini

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 128
Points 2,275
Thank you Kris! what seems to happen with me is that I start to learn something, and then do it one time, step by step... go back to do it again AND WHO THE HECK REMEMBERS???? because so many days pass in between. i keep thinking that it'll just stick to my brain and I'll surprise myself! when i do get something embroidered though, i just love it... I think about upgrading too, but it's alot of money and by the time I get that right, they'll have come out with new again!

quiltNUT2

Maureen (in Florida)

when life gives you scraps...make a quilt!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 128
Points 2,275
Thank you Kris! what seems to happen with me is that I start to learn something, and then do it one time, step by step... go back to do it again AND WHO THE HECK REMEMBERS???? because so many days pass in between. i keep thinking that it'll just stick to my brain and I'll surprise myself! when i do get something embroidered though, i just love it... I think about upgrading too, but it's alot of money and by the time I get that right, they'll have come out with new again!

quiltNUT2

Maureen (in Florida)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 128
Points 2,275
Diane, I totally agree with you, I bought my machine from Joanns right up the block -they had a viking center. Well that went out of biz about a year after. The only Joanns that still has a center is about an hour away. I spoke with them, they tell me no one even knows how to use the 3D! and they only teach 4D and 5d! can you imagine, of course they say they will trade up. Anyway, then I found a teacher at a sewing center who told me she is not for hire, unless I buy my machine there! I offered to pay her private too. :O( so sad. Well the only thing I can say is that it gives me more time to quilt, then embroidery. But i like your two cents anyway!

quiltNUT2

Maureen (in Florida)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,247
Kris replied on Sat, Nov 6 2010 2:34 AM

Nana:

Kris

I use windows vista and had to download a new driver to use with my embroidery machine so that it would work.  Even though my computer is 32bit I had to download a 64 bit driver so that the Bernina software would work.  Does your machine company have a help site to answer software questions.  That is where I got the info about needing the new driver.

Nana,

I've downloaded all the new drivers and still have the same problems. It seems to be an on going issue. They keep putting out updates and sending emails. The most frustrating part is that the dongle has to work in order to download the updates. I have to reboot my computer over and over to get it to work. This happened when I was in a class from the dealer and they couldn't figure it out. I'll have to find out if they took care of the trouble with the new version. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 964
Points 19,596

Tammy:
I guess what sold me on it was the distributor.

Thanks Tammy - NE: 

I bought my Babylock from a dealer 8 hours away, and I haven't been back, simply because I haven't made that trip since.  When I'm in Arizona for the winter there is a dealer two blocks away, and I found out this summer that there is a dealer and repair shop two hours away from my home.  So I sure got lucky there.  One shop isn't very friendly, but has the best repair shop.  The other is very friendly and helpful, but has to send the machine out to be repaired.  I also found a LQS that sells the Brother machines and they went above and beyond to show me stitches on a Brother that is so much like the Espire that it could be the same machine.

I'm disappointed in my Espire only because it doesn't have many large design quilting stitches, or I haven't found them yet.  I find the Babylock web site more geared to their embroidery machines, than to their sewing machines and the site in my private opinion, publicly stated, is much too cluttered for my taste.

I'm glad your 875 fits your needs.  On the Espire the side stitching that you talked about for mending jeans, is a little herky jerky.  I haven't used it much, but worry that it will break needles when I am using it. 

Thanks again Tammy.  I sure agree that service is the big thing. 

Patty Mc

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,704
gini replied on Sat, Nov 6 2010 2:13 PM

Maureen :
what seems to happen with me is that I start to learn something, and then do it one time, step by step... go back to do it again AND WHO THE HECK REMEMBERS???? because so many days pass in between

not even that many days have to go by, sam gets really frustrated at me and thinks i'm getting senile.   this from someone who can't find his glasses, e-ver, even when they're on his head.        gini

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 843
Points 18,935
Cindy replied on Sat, Nov 6 2010 2:27 PM

Oh Man do I feel your pain!  I have to write everything down and go back to the directions a million times and then I still can't remember if I walk away....this age thing is just not right.

Cindy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 95
Points 3,625

One question-can my Janome 6600 be adapted to be put on a quilting frame?  I know I'm running ahead of myself since I about to start my first quilt!!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 365
Wismom replied on Sat, Nov 6 2010 8:36 PM

Wow, some of you really are way ahead of me for machine numbers! lol.  I have an Elna Quilters Dream, a Babylock Quilters Choice Pro and a small Babylock that does 4 inch embroidery as well as regular sewing. Love them all. However I do only use the smaller machine for embroidery as the other two do everything else and have larger throat beds. Am thinking about upgrading to a larger machine that gives you larger embroidery area but am debating whether or not I would use it enough to justify buying it.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sat, Nov 6 2010 8:55 PM

Wismom

I love my larger embroidery area.  I use it much more than I did the smaller one.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 6 of 21 (307 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use