Top 10 Posters

What kind of sewing machine do you have?

Page 2 of 21 (307 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 306 Replies | 30 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 20,020
Carol replied on Thu, Oct 28 2010 8:21 PM

Oh Gini = how could you let go of your Bernina?  I kept the original Singer when I got one that had a zigzag, and when I got the 830, I traded the newer Singer in.  But when I got the second Bernina, could not part with the old one - be like trading off a member of the family!!

gini:

i had one of the old 830's that i inherited from my gramma,  it ran like a dream.   i succombed to one of the new fangled machines with needle up/down, scissors and needle threader.    i gave the 830  to my aunt and she hasn't had it out of the case, so i know it's in good hands.   i loved the 839, but i wouldn't go back, i love my designer more.  i'm so fickle    gini   

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Marilyn B:

Diane your featherweight was made when I was born.

Marilyn~

I got my Featherweight from a friend who was cleaning out her mother's house after she passed away and I was the only person she knew who liked to sew. She gave me the machine and it sat downstairs for over a year until I decided to look more closely at it and wondered if this is what they call a Featherweight. Googled it and learned all about Featherweights. She was born in the same year I was born, too. Her name is Minnie. Such a little workhorse and so good for piecing but I love to sew on Ellie, the Ellegante so I don't use Minnie that much. She's in mint condition though but have no desire to sell her. She lives here now.

North of Boston MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,705
Points 364,352
Kris replied on Thu, Oct 28 2010 8:30 PM

Elgato,

I have a Pfaff 2170 that I use every day and a Babylock QCP on a frame for quilting.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Gini~

You have 3 Featherweights? How did you get 3? Were they in your family and you got them or did you buy them?I like to hear the history of the Featherweights and how we get them. My grandmother was a quilter and had the treadle machine with a Featherweight in it and I was so hoping to get it when she passed on but my aunt sold it not knowing that I wanted it. But I love my little Minnie.

North of Boston MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Oct 28 2010 9:30 PM

Let's see.....I have a Bernina 435 that I love and use all the time.  A kenmore as a back up machine.  My MIL's Vogue, a 1932 Singer K99, a 1952 Singer in a sewing cabinet, a 1908 Singer Treadle, and an older Brother that my granddaughter plays with some.  A Singer 5 spool serger and a KenQuilt 622 midarm on a frame.   Hmmmm.....don't think there is anyway I can sew on all these...LOL>   Would love to have a Bernina 830....maybe someday.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,396
Points 415,524
gini replied on Thu, Oct 28 2010 10:45 PM

i got a feather weight years ago at a yard sale.  i got it for $100.     i used it a ton, whenever i took classes or went to a sewing weekend with friends.    then sam found another one, cheap.  and then he found another one.  "gini, you just have to have this"   so now i have three.  they're very cute.  the last one is in a green case.    i was in a second hand store a few months after i got my first one and found one of the card tables that were made for the featherweights ( it was 25 dollars, i couldn't believe it),   and now it is so cute sitting in it's little table.    gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 385

Hi Gina

I also have a featherweight, they are much more expensive around $500.00 in Australia. I have never seen a table what is it like

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,396
Points 415,524
gini replied on Thu, Oct 28 2010 11:20 PM

Carol:
Oh Gini = how could you let go of your Bernina? 

it is in a good home.  actually it is back in the home it started in.     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,396
Points 415,524
gini replied on Thu, Oct 28 2010 11:22 PM

Collettequilter:
also have a featherweight, they are much more expensive around $500.00 in Australia. I have never seen a table what is it like

they run about $350 to $550 here, and  i've seen them for more.    you can still find them at yard sales but not as often now.    the table looks like a card table with a cut-out for the feather weight.   i'll take a picture and post it      gini

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 95
Points 3,625
elgato15 replied on Fri, Oct 29 2010 9:20 AM

I don't think my Singer Athena will do the king size quilt.  I measured the throat-it's 7" to the needle and 5" high.  I can't compete with all your beautiful machines!!!!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Oct 29 2010 9:22 AM

Elgato

I have managed to do a king size quilt on a machine with the same throat space.  It just takes lots if imagination and pushing and shoving and stuffing.  It can get to be quite a workout but is doable.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

My workhorse is Jenny the Janome 6600P.  I have had her about 3 or 4 years now and love her.  I just bought Babs Babylock BL9 to take with me for sew days and such because she is so much lighter.  Haven't even taken her for a test drive yet. 

Then I have  Janome Harmony 9102D serger - Suzy - that I picked up at Hancocks one day when I went in to buy some elastic.  Pretty dern expensive elastic!  :o) 

Lastly - I bought a Janome Memory Craft 350E embroidery machine (Ellie) this past summer and still learning how to use her. 

By the way I name my cars too --- my Ford Escape is Little Red.    

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Fri, Oct 29 2010 10:44 AM

I have too Nana and dont want to do it again LOL

Paris, Ontario

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Oct 29 2010 11:43 AM

Well I wish I could afford all the nice machines you ladies have ,but alas I just have 2, and older singer from the early 90's that I can't get parts for or they just don't work well,  and a Brother  Project Runway, thats I love , Its very light but does a great job or so I think. The biggest quilt I've worked on it so far has been a twin,it took some work but I am doing it. I also wish I had a good table so it would be flush with the machine ,ahh,maybe someday... Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 19
Points 550
bryanne replied on Fri, Oct 29 2010 11:55 AM

I agree Barb but not to fret! I just got a new Brother SQ9000 and if I recall correctly it was very similar to the Project Runway believe it or not this is a big step up for me and I've many new tricks to learn so in all honesty it is sufficient. My 1st machine still set up is a littly Husky but I finally got it thru my head those days are over to purchase such top of the line though it was and still is worth every penny. Theres a lot to be said for Brother. If this machine works and holds up as well as their office equipment simply cant go wrong. Albeit not always time to sit and write I so enjoy reading what you all write every day keep em coming fondly bryanne

"Let me live in the house by the side of the road and be a friend to man."

Page 2 of 21 (307 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use