Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,844
gini Posted: Sat, Jun 6 2009 11:02 PM

hello everyone,   i'm  gini from north idaho.  i have been quilting forever, but have taken a hiatus for the last 6 years, when we moved home to  watch two of our grandkids.  next fall, they will both be in school and i will have lots more time to quilt.  maybe i can get a few of my works-in-progress actually finished.

hand applique is my favorite, but i have recently taken a class on machine applique.   i'm hoping to get some tips when i run into problems.   like,   how do you get the papers out of small pieces of applique????????  has anyone seen the book on applique by liuxin newman? it is fabulous.

i have been trying to find a silhouette of a hanging bat, you'ld thnk that would be easy,  right.  not so, i had to draft my own, and i am not the  best sketcher.   looking forward to participating in this group.   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 465
Points 33,860

Hi Gini,

To get the paper out of the applique you trim the base fabric from behind the applique. You'd want to do this anyway if you'll be hand quilting the quilt so as to reduce the layers.

This my favroite applique technique book:

http://www.landauercorp.com/aspx/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=1654

Applique the Basics and Beyond by janet Pittman. And it's not just because the publisher is wonderful people--it's a great book. The how-to photos are wonderful!

I haven't seen Luixin's book. I need to find it!

~Jodie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,844
gini replied on Mon, Jun 8 2009 12:35 AM

hi jodie,  i am cutting the back away.  the pieces are so pointy and small i can't get them out.    i tried hemostats, tweezers,    they are being very stubborn little  papers.   and my fingers are getting sore.

i got liuxin newman's applique book at the quilt store in belleview washington, i think the name is quiltworks northwest.  it's the only quilt store in that town.    i read it on the way home to idaho.  i kept having "well, duh, why didn't i think of that" moments while reading the book.   she also has a book out on hand quilting that i have just quickly looked over.   her quilts are exquisite.  

she has a web site   thimblelady.com.   her stuff is pretty spendy, but i got her applique thimble.  (not as expensive as her quilting thimbles, my goodness, i didn't know you could spend that much on a thimble)    and this is the best thimble i have ever used for applique.  now the key is not to lose it , yeah right.   they need to make a thimble with a beeper.  

thanks for the advice, but i think i will keep sewing the applique on the border and maybe i'll have epiphany on how to get the paper out.  gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use