rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 175
Lee Posted: Tue, Oct 26 2010 8:35 AM

Hi everyone,

I hope it is ok to just go ahead and introduce myself. My name is Lee(nickname) and I don't know why I got into quilting except that my mother quilted all her life. She had some butterflies cut out one time I visited her in Ohio and ask if I wanted to try it. I thought I knew what I was doing but didn't have a clue so I didn't ask her for any help which was a mistake on my part cause now she's gone and no one to ask and I don't understand patterns very well. Any way that was 15 years ago. Just before she passed away I took it home to show her and she said now finish it. Well I've gotten it to the point of put on squares and sewn together, with batting and backing. My sister-in-law in Missouri andher daughter tied it but I still don't have binding on it. It's not very well done but hey it was my first quilt.  I recently retired this year and the girls I worked with got me a subscription to Fons and Porters Love of Quilting magazine. Now I've joined this and so much info and not enough time.  I've done a couple of quilts since then but still I don't think I'm doing something right. Now I've got to make my grandson a quilt for graduation in 2 years so hope I can do it. Well this is probably to much info. Thanks Lee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,014
Points 250,834
Barbara replied on Tue, Oct 26 2010 9:47 AM

Lee, welcome to the club, do not worry there are some amazing people here who love to help with any question you have .Always feel free to ask them, if one dosen't know the answer another will .This is a great club and you will love it. I'm a newbie myself ,just started quilting in Feb.of this year .I've ask tons of questions . I wish you luck with your butter flies ,there is a great thread oh here about binding ,that may be of some help to you .Check it out. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 448
Points 5,660
CJ Hines replied on Tue, Oct 26 2010 11:53 AM

Welcome, Lee to QCA. Don't worry about not knowing what you're doing--just keep at it and you will learn. The women on this site are great to ask for advice and encouragement, anytime you have a question--we're here to help. And if we don't know the answer, we try to find out. Glad you're here!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,700
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 26 2010 12:01 PM

Lee

Welcome to QCA.  We so love meeting new people and learning about them and their quilting.   There is always someone that can answer questions for you.  And we all love to share our quilting knowledge with others.   Never feel like you are writing too much or giving too much info.  We love to chat and we also love learning about others.  We even offer up help and prayers when the problems are of a more personal nature.   Hope you enjoy the site and make lots of new friends.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,769
Points 180,523
Marie replied on Tue, Oct 26 2010 2:14 PM

Welcome to the family Lee and here you could never give too much info.  LOL  If you can could you post pictures of your quilts, I'm sure they are wonderful.

Millbury, MA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 608
Points 12,750

Hi Lee,

Welcome!  You've come to the right place.  Learn and laugh, cry and cheer.  That's this place in a nut shell.  (Oh, you will figure out that all the nuts are not in the trees)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Lee and welcome to QCA!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Tue, Oct 26 2010 8:39 PM

Welcome Lee.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,777
Points 245,587
Thea replied on Tue, Oct 26 2010 11:40 PM

Lee, welcome and talk all you want to - have fun - we are here and we all get carried away.  I am sure your quilts are wonderful - to me a quilt made with love is all that matters - Each quilt is a learning process for me and I just try to learn from the quilt I made prior...Have fun with your quilting - that is the most important thing to me.  Ask any questions you have  - you will get dozens of answers - we have a lot of helpers here...

I am glad to meet you and welcome you to QCA and hope to get to know a lot more about you in the days, weeks and months to come!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,320
Points 373,192
Kris replied on Tue, Oct 26 2010 11:52 PM

Welcome Lee.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,271
Points 35,190
Granny M replied on Wed, Oct 27 2010 8:11 AM

Welcome Lee,  Don't worry about just getting started.  I am pretty new myself.  Did not start actual quilting until I retired 3 years ago.  From the short time I have been with this group it seems like there are three rules I have identified.

1.  HAVE FUN                 2. There is no such thing as a dumb question, and everyone here is quick to share thier knowledge.    3.  HAVE FUN

As for the graduation quilt   YOU CAN DO IT.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,610
Points 418,129
gini replied on Wed, Oct 27 2010 9:39 PM

hi lee, welcome.   i'm pretty sure there is no rule about you can't talk too much here.    when you get ready to start the graduation quilt, just ask your questions here and you'll get all the help you need    gini

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use