Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 34 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 1,775
Lynne Plambeck Posted: Sun, Oct 24 2010 8:43 AM

Does anyone have any tips on operation on using the Pfaff quilt expression 4.0?  Just bought one in April and still getting used to it.  I would appreciate any info from other owners of Pfaff machines.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Lynne, I cannot help you on the machine but wanted to welcome you to QCA.  I'm sure someone will come along with some help on the Pfaff.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,478
Points 362,127
Kris replied on Sun, Oct 24 2010 10:21 AM

Lynn,

welcome to the group.

Is the shop where you purchased the machine close by? They should provide lessons. The Pfaff website might have tutorials and your user manual should help with basic set up.

I use a Pfaff Creative 2170. This machine has built in tutorials. I'm not familiar with the Expression line so I can't really say much about it.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 1,775

Thanks, looking forward to finding quilting friends!! 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sun, Oct 24 2010 5:10 PM

Hi Lynne,

I got a pfaff quilt expression 4.0 last fall.  I really love it.  It did have some problems which were fixed.  I am still learning it.  I have taken a block of the month, "pfaff club" at the local quilt store where I bought it, and the purpose of the class was to teach how to use the varied stitches, tools, etc.  Unfortunately I haven't kept up as I went back to work full time.  If there is a pfaff dealer near you they may have a class.  Is there any thing in particular you are wanting to know?  I am still learning to use it.  Excited about some of the things I can do with it but haven't done yet.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 1,775

Hi Patti, thanks for the note, what problems did you have with your machine?  I have taken the basic Pfaff training but just was curious if there are some tricks to the machine that I wasn't aware of. 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 185

I just got my Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 in July, and then hauled it with me to my very first quilt show--the Milwaukee Machine Quilting Show, without knowing how to run the machine. I had trouble there in the classes I took, with thread breaking. I called my dealer, and was ready to take it in for her to fix it. She gave me some information over the phone that took car of my problems. So now I am learning to do free motion quilting, and so far I love the practice pieces I have done.

She said that I have to fiddle with the thread tensions--loosening it for free motion, and to use better thread--I was trying to use up old Coats and Clarks sewing thread. She said their cotton wrapped poly thread was not suitable for machine quilting. So I used a spool of good quilting thread I'd gotten in one of the classes at the quilt show.  Also, use sharp quilting needles. I had been using a universal point needle. 

So now things are working much better.

I didn't take the lessons that go with the machine. I had owned Pfaffs before and know how to sew. Now I think I will try to get in for the lessons. There are new features I am not familiar with on this machine. I know I am going to love it as soon as I get to know it better. I would not have settled for anything less than a Pfaff. In one of my classes I used the machine they provided, a Bernina, and I am glad I don't have one of those!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 185

Patti, how do you find out what the machine can do? The instruction manual doesn't really tell me much.I have sat and stared in awe at all the stitches this thing has, and I wonder just what some of them might be used for. The cute little decorative stitches make sense, but some of the utility stitches and quilt stitches are a real mystery. I suppose I might find out what they are for if I take the lessons for this machine.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sun, Aug 28 2011 10:33 PM

Hi Patricia, my last note a few months ago said I'd had some problems, well, I had some more and this time pfaff decided I'd had enough problems, and just gave me a brand new one.  So far it is great! 

The booklet they give you is good to understand how the machine works, and what buttons to push. I finally read the whole thing and know the machine better.  I have been learning to use the fancy stitches and a lot of other things, but that has been from a class.  but I would be glad to pass along the info.  Maybe I can start tomorrow and go over some of the tools and how to use them.  What they are for.  Like that funny bar thing.  Had one with my first pfaff but never used it as I didn't know what it was. 

Do you have any specific questions?

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 6:24 PM

Hi I don't own either machine. But wanted to welcome you to the group. And ask what was wrong with the Bernina models?  I don't own that either but if I am going to be in the market for a different machine could use all the info I can get later on down the road. Thanks.

Carey

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 7:39 PM

Carey

I have a Bernina and love it.  Never had a problem and have a great dealer with excellent service.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 185

Carey,

I really can't be very specific, but the Bernina was unhandy for me to thread up and use. But then I am having trouble with my new Pfaff, having been so intimately involved with my older Pfaff. Do I think I made a mistake to get the new one? No, it is the same very dependable German engineering, with the IDT--their built in even feed feature, and it is set up for quilting, with a lot of space under the head for larger pieces. I just need to spend some time playing with it. A new machine needs a little "foreplay" before she is ready for a serious relationship.

My sister has a new Bernina and loves it. But she was a little jealous of the room under the head of my Pfaff.

You really need to shop around and really spend some time trying out different machines before you buy, sort of like dating, before you will accept an engagement ring.

And of course, a good knowledgeable dealer nearby is a good feature. They will help you with any problems, give you lessons when you first get the machine, and stand ready to honor warranted coverage.

Pat up north where leaves are just starting to how some fall color

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 185

As to specific questions,and anyone can answer this if you know: Which way do the numbers go for thread tension? Is higher number looser, or is a lower number looser? I asked the clerk in the store today and she was as confused as I was. I may have to call the owner of the shop and ask her. She divides her time between three shops she owns, and of course wasn't there when I needed her. Wha!

Pat

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,478
Points 362,127
Kris replied on Tue, Aug 30 2011 12:59 AM

If you increase the number then the top tension is tighter. Lower number = looser.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,478
Points 362,127
Kris replied on Tue, Aug 30 2011 1:11 AM

Patricia Pfeiffer:
No, it is the same very dependable German engineering, with the IDT--their built in even feed feature, and it is set up for quilting, with a lot of space under the head for larger pieces.

I own two Pfaffs; a Creative 2170 and a Quilt Expression 4.0. The 2170 says "German Engineering" while the 4.0 says "German Design". Is there a reason for the change in wording?

It is my understanding that the new machines are now made in China. Many people believe this is the reason for all the trouble with Pfaffs these days. I'm not sure. The only problem I have with my 4.0 is that the thread slips off the little hook thing that moves up and down while sewing. This makes the machine stitch very badly. Pfaff supposedly fixed this and the dealer replaced this part with the new one...the thread still slips off now and then.

Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use