Top 10 Posters

advice on stiletto

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 36 Replies | 13 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
21 Posts
Points 1,165
Sally Bickley posted on Tue, Oct 19 2010 2:08 AM

Hi quilters,

I need a stiletto. What is the best kind? I kind of cringe when I think about using metal, won't it poke through my fabric? And will wood be pointy enough? I've been using a bamboo skewer, but I'm ready to upgrade. I'm heading to the Houston Quilt show, and I should be able to get pretty much any kind there. 

Sally from Corpus Christi

• | Post Points: 215

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,549 Posts
Points 245,907
Thea replied on Tue, Oct 19 2010 4:44 PM

Barbara:

Thea ,I tried to order some Blades from Andrea,but she doen't seem to be on this site any more .Or at least that's what I've been told...Barbara

I don't think Andrea has any more blades to sell - she has been sick and is not here at this time... we need to pray that soon she will be back joining us.  I am hoping that she is checking in now and again - and will be better soon.  I email her once a week and have tried to call her but haven't had a response yet. 

If you need blades, I think Helly had some good sites to buy them at.  I got mine last year from Nancy's Notions and now have the Grace company sharpener which works magically for me... although don't take my word for it because some people don't like it at all - mine works fine though.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,549 Posts
Points 245,907
Thea replied on Tue, Oct 19 2010 4:45 PM

Sally, one other thing I use for my stiletto is my seam ripper - was just thinking about that when I saw Barbara's question!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,656 Posts
Points 136,082

I have a metal one from clover, and i like it.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,656 Posts
Points 136,082

Oh and welcome to qca Sally.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Oct 20 2010 10:52 AM

Thea, thats what I've been using ,is my seam ripper ,seems to do the job just fine.Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,549 Posts
Points 245,907
Thea replied on Thu, Oct 21 2010 6:20 PM

Barbara - I usually have my seam ripper right next to my machine but I use all different things...teehee...I bought the metal stiletto from EB when I got a package deal of stuff  from her but have quit using it as I broke a couple needles - then I used the shishkabob sticks and they did great - if I had it to close to the needle at least it just poked the needle... now when I use my seam ripper I am real careful not to get to close to that needle...teehee... and it does a great job.  I think I could even go back to the metal stilleto now and wouldn't be so much in a rush... teehee... I am much more patient these days.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,458 Posts
Points 416,719
gini replied on Fri, Oct 22 2010 12:15 AM

hi sally welcome    i use my seam ripper, because i can usually find it.  my awls tend to hide    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,562 Posts
Points 139,613

I just bought Alex Andersons 4 in one tool. I think I'm going to like it. It's large enough not to lose easily and has a stiletto,seam ripper, flat wooden pressing tool and a soft edge wood turner for poking out corners and edges for applique. I'll post if I decide I don't think it was worth it. The "caps" that pull off to expose the stiletto fit very snugly, which is good since they are what you use for the pressing  tool and turner. I'd hate to have them falling off when I wanted to use them.  I had that keep happening with a lighted seam ripper I bought.  The seam ripper part kept falling off. That's annoying!  

Not Ranked
Female
15 Posts
Points 330

I would be lost with out my stiletto.  I use the clover brand.  It has a plastic handle witha small black grip part on it.   I bought it at the local quilt shop but had to order it. They also make the unsewer(seam ripper) with the same gripper handle.   I especially like it for using like a pin when sewing close to the presser foot.

Pam , From northern Wi

Not Ranked
38 Posts
Points 185

Sally,

Since you say you're ready for the next step up, go for the stilletto.  I've never regretted it and I find I use it for more and more other things. 

I personally prefer it over a seam ripper, because the seam ripper does tend to poke thru the fabric when I don't want it to do so.

There are all kinds of stillettos out; do you have friends who will let you sample theirs?  That would allow you to really determine what you want.  I, too, have the 4-in-1 product and love it.  (Personally, I've found I prefer the narrower point over an awl.)  If you really can't find what you want @ your local stores, you can get it from JoAnn's on-line and Herschnerr's.  (Here's another secret.....most of the tools we use in quilting were originally used by our husbands in their tools for carpentery, etc.  Thus, you can often find what yoiu want at a hardware store.  Doesn't look as pretty, but can even be cheaper.  I used my husband's finest point awl for a long time.)

Michelle

• Filed under:
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Points 85
ANNAT replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 1:24 PM

Hi,

I have a wooden one that I really like.  Not sure what brand it is, but am pretty certain that I got it at JoAnns several years ago.

Not Ranked
19 Posts
Points 375

Hi

I have an awl and I would not be without it. I use it all the time.I have an  empty nut can on the back of my sewing machine table and I put all my tools in there so they are right at my fingertips all the time.

Bea

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 45

I've used the tip of my seam ripper to guide things through.  Not the best thing probably, but it works.

Janie

Not Ranked
Female
38 Posts
Points 285

Hi Sally,

I have both a small metal stiletto with a wood handle (got at an estate sale) and bamboo skewers. I use both, and get great results. I don't have a problem with poking through when I use to guide fabric under my machine needle.

Louise

Louise

Not Ranked
Female
44 Posts
Points 1,245
Answered (Not Verified) Brenda H replied on Tue, Nov 16 2010 10:50 AM
Suggested by Brenda H

I just use the short bamboo skewers and my piecing is much more acurate.  They have nice sharp points when new and I think I bought my pack for less than $2.  My biggest problem is laying them aside, then can't find it when I need it.  To solve that problem, I keep several out at a time.

Brenda H

• Filed under:
Page 2 of 3 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use