rated by 0 users
This post has 46 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,735
Points 437,160
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 5 2010 9:13 AM

Amber

I have a Bernina that does the embroidery as well.  I really have never had a problem with it affecting my machine.  Good luck.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 791
Points 20,075
Carol replied on Fri, Nov 5 2010 9:41 PM

I use a fu;ll size frame to do my needle and thread basting, or when I do a tied quilt.  I posted a picture couple days ago when I was basting for a hand quilting project.  Now where did I post that picture?  Cheryl, if you're close enough to come over, we'll have a basting party!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 70

I learned the same way you are demonstrating.  Only thing i try to pay attention  to is NOT to "overlap"  the spray as it is sometimes hard to hand quilt those areas.  Any one else have any problem with this.   

Also, I agree about checking with your local church hall for use of a table.  I am lucky enough to be married to our local church's maintenance man.  It works well because you can use multiple tables if necessary and my husband says a damp mop cleans off any drift that occurs while spraying.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 130

Althea,

Thanks for the info.  As a new quilter, I am just about ready to baste/sandwich my quilt and found your tips helpful.  I do have one question though....what did you use to spray baste the layers together???  Spray starch or what??   Please, anyone, give me some tips, o.k.??  o.k.!!  Thanks, Peg 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,735
Points 437,160
Nana replied on Sun, Nov 7 2010 8:44 PM

Peg

There are several brands of Spray Baste on the market.  I use Tailor's Basting Spray.  Several other ladies use the 505 brand.  You can find it at most quilt stores.  I know that JoAnn's carries the Tailor's brand.  Also WalMart sometimes has it in their hobby department.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 25
Points 1,100

Thanks Althea,

I will try the spray method. Usually I baste with a combination of bent pins and regular running stitch. I once used an iron-on batting for a long coat I quilted by machine and it was very stiff (even after washing), so I never tried it on anything else. Great photos.

Linda

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,735
Points 437,160
Nana replied on Sun, Nov 7 2010 8:47 PM

Linda

I have also tried the fusible batting and did not like it.  Thankfully I used it in a tablerunner that was for everyday usage so it wasn't a big deal but I won't be using it again.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,823
Points 123,460

Oh my goodness. I'm still pinning my quilts and then machine quilting. I've never heard of a basting spray! Makes me wonder where in the world I've been?? On an ice floe in the North Atlantic maybe? Perphaps I should pick up a can and try it on a small project such as the Christmas place mats I'm working on. I'm a bit nervous about using a spray as the only place I can lay out my quilt layers is on our laminate floor. (and, yes, I also "wallow" and need my DH to pull me up) I don't want to ruin the floor and I'm not sure of the ventilation.  Right now, after getting the layers smoothed out on the floor, I roll it up and then stretch it over my frame and put in all those wretched little pins.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Sun, Nov 7 2010 9:19 PM

Nana

I agree with you--once was enough for me with that fusible batting.  I didn't like it either.  I used it when I was just beginning to quilt I mean a super new quilter and had already washed my fabric and used it without reading the directions--boy did that baby quilt SHRINK!  I later found out you shouldn't  wash your fabric first and use fusible. At least the fusible I bought.  I told the quilt shop where I bought it my experience and they didn't even know that you shouldn't wash your fabric if you use this brand of fusible. Oh, well I learned a big lesson.

Live and learn! HA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Judy T-Bellingham:

Oh my goodness. I'm still pinning my quilts and then machine quilting. I've never heard of a basting spray! Makes me wonder where in the world I've been?? On an ice floe in the North Atlantic maybe? Perphaps I should pick up a can and try it on a small project such as the Christmas place mats I'm working on. I'm a bit nervous about using a spray as the only place I can lay out my quilt layers is on our laminate floor. (and, yes, I also "wallow" and need my DH to pull me up) I don't want to ruin the floor and I'm not sure of the ventilation.  Right now, after getting the layers smoothed out on the floor, I roll it up and then stretch it over my frame and put in all those wretched little pins.

Hi Judy~

IF I ever get to my UFO pile and start making sandwiches again, I also pin (which I actually like to do) and then I machine quilt. I do have two large banquet tables together so I'm not on the floor......I'd never be able to get up again. I have used the spray a little but be very careful with the fumes. It should be used in a well ventilated area. I am the Spray Scrooge b/c I'm on oxygen but everyone should be careful using it. I suggest even getting those little masks you can get at the hospital and wear one of those. I'd be careful of the floors and you could put done newspaper along the edges. The little that I have used the spray, I did like it. Don't tell anyone but I still pin a little, too.....

North of Boston MA

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

Thank you so much for your instructions.  They were great with the pictures. I have never tried the spray baste before but am going to try it on my next quilt.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,497
Points 417,299
gini replied on Thu, Nov 11 2010 6:41 PM

biedebachlor, welcome,   i hope you join us on forums.    gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 175

I just spray basted my queen size quilt first time I have ever used it...its awesome...I did it on my kitchen floor....not issues with it. I was able to pick it up and place it on my table now its ready for me to quilt tomorrow. Give it a try...you will love it.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 105

I just did two crib sheets and it was great -- amazing how it stayed together! Only problems: fumes, and the floor got a little sticky where the spray hit it (despite my trying to be careful with the spray). Time and a little water on a sponge fixed the two problems right away.

Wendy

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 105

I just did two crib quilts and it was great -- amazing how it stayed together! Only problems: fumes, and the floor got a little sticky where the spray hit it (despite my trying to be careful with the spray). Time and a little water on a sponge fixed the two problems right away.

Wendy

Page 3 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use