Page 2 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 46 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Wed, Nov 3 2010 7:37 PM

wbrownsf,  welcome.    it would hold well enough to hand quilt, but i don't think i would want to hand quilt through it     gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 0
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Wed, Nov 3 2010 7:39 PM

wbrownsf, hi and welcome.   i think the spray will hold well enough to hand quilt, but i wouldn't want to hand quilt through it     gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 132
Points 1,715

Okay, so here I was thinking I would never be able to make anything larger than a lap quilt because I don't have a room large enough for the basting process. It never occurred to me to take it up to my church. Duh!  :-)

I don't know about the spray basting though. I hand quilt. I think perhaps I'll try the iron and pin method first.

Thanks for the wonderful tutorial! I have never seen anyone baste a quilt, so having a visual helps.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 105

Iron and pin method? I haven't heard of that (or is that when you use the safety pins?) I've always thrown the quilt on the floor and then attacked it with the needle and thread. I'd love to hear about other methods of basting for hand quilters.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 132
Points 1,715

wbrownsf:

Iron and pin method? I haven't heard of that (or is that when you use the safety pins?) I've always thrown the quilt on the floor and then attacked it with the needle and thread. I'd love to hear about other methods of basting for hand quilters.

I was thinking of laying it out on the tables as shown, and using safety pins to baste it. Someone mentioned earlier about ironing the fabric before basting to get everything to lay flat.

For my first project, I did throw it on the floor and conquered it with needle and basting thread, but I almost didn't make it.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 95
Points 3,625

Thank you so much.  I didn't even know about spray basting!!! Remember I'm a beginner here. I thought you used saftey pins.  I think I'll be looking at my floor and put the cats in another room!!  I don't need little helpers sitting on what I'm trying to baste.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 17
Points 309
jlh replied on Thu, Nov 4 2010 2:14 PM

Althea:  i am very happy to see your demonstration. i, too, used to "waller around on the floor" and still do occasionally. mostly i use my daughters ping pong table if it is available. I either tape around the edges or use clips as you did...depends on the size of quilt i am working on. i'm sure you have helped many  more than one person. it was helpful for me just to see how someone else does the 'sandwiching". thanks for your frequent and helpful posts. judy h

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 50
Pauline replied on Thu, Nov 4 2010 4:15 PM

I didn't know about spray basting either, I will diffently try it on my next quitl

Pauline 

Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 370
mamaspike replied on Thu, Nov 4 2010 10:05 PM

Althea -- your hope is achieved!  I love the 505 spray, but only used it for small projects, because I had no idea how I would handle with the large projects.  Nice job explaining and showing with the step-by-step pictures.  Thank you!

Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 370
mamaspike replied on Thu, Nov 4 2010 10:08 PM

Gini -- I have done small hand-quilting projects on items I have spray-basted.  I was told that the type of spray you use is the key (so it does not gum up).  I personally bought the 505 and it worked well.  Colleen

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Thu, Nov 4 2010 10:45 PM

thanks for the info colleen,   i haven't wanted to try it    gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 145
Peggy replied on Fri, Nov 5 2010 8:34 AM

Thanks for all the pics.  That is just what I need in a set of instructions.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 235

Wow! Great tutorial! Love all the pictures. I have not used spray basting yet I use safety pins since I machine quilt. I'm afraid the spray might gunk up my machine and since it's a combination machine I don't want to do that.

I just spread mine out on my cutting table and attack it with the safety pins, smoothing as I go.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 5 2010 8:57 AM

Amber

I have used spray basting for a long time now and have never had a problem with it gummy up the machine or needle.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  It is not a heavy adhesive but does hold the quilt sandwich extremely well.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 235

Nana,

I've thought about trying it on a small lap quilt first, but every time I go to buy the can I talk myself out of it. I will just bite the bullet and get some and try it out. I have a Janome Memorycraft 11000 that does embroidery and quilting besides regular sewing. I will give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Page 2 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use