Page 12 of 13 (189 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 188 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Sat, Nov 6 2010 8:57 PM

Barb, this looks like a nice place.  If DH comes, we'll stay in a hotel nearby. If not, I'll stay there.  Part of it will depend on when the trip happens, as we'll have to get time off work.  We're actually planning vacations for next year now but can change time off as long as it doesn't conflict with other staff.  Majority rules, though, in addition to site availability. September is usually safe, but probably not Labor Day weekend (there's always two or more people who want time off around the holiday).  I think something else to consider is how to calculate costs (IF it's different) for people who stay at the house vs people who stay elsewhere - just something to think about.

I know someone else was asking about staying there Thursday night, too & if I remember right, they do allow weeknight stays, so people who wanted to stay on Wednesday could tack on that night. I think the minimum number was fewer for a weeknight stay.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,843
Points 248,964
Barbara replied on Sat, Nov 6 2010 9:29 PM

Nancy,sounds good I'll put you down for a guest.Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,843
Points 248,964
Barbara replied on Sat, Nov 6 2010 9:32 PM

sounds like just about everyone is pleased with this location, i;ll give them a call this week and see what I can find out . i;ll keep you all posted.  Thanks everyone for your input..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,475
Points 24,120

Barbara:

Leslie, Barb's fine , It is beginning to look liek we may have to do alittle earlier then we thought at first ,  I'm going to see about maybe the 2nd week in  Sept, and see how that works for everyone?Barbara

Barbara, the 2nd week in Sept. would work well for me. I'm retired, so I'm free most of the time. If we decide on a date now we all have plenty of time to plan.I guess I need to requalify that statement about being free most of the time. Since I retired in June I have been busier than I have ever been.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,843
Points 248,964
Barbara replied on Sun, Nov 7 2010 11:10 AM

Okay MW retreat gals: I'm going to contact Walnut Place and see if we can get the house for the second week in September. Some of the gals are bringing guest so they  opt to stay in a hotel. As of this time this is our list of gals wanting to attend:

1,Nancy and guest                       14 Nana?

2 Elaine

3 Leslie ?

4 CJ Hines

5 Thea

6 PD and guest

7 Gini  ?

8 Carol ?

9 Eileen and guest

10 Marylin

11 Marge ?

13. Barbara

I am going to keep enrollment open until end of December and then close , The house only sleeps 12 so and other will have to find a hotel to stay in ,there should be plenty close.  We need to start thinking about what kinda things we want to do while there and start making a list so we can all make a decision, Just about everyone want to spend time sewing and doing some shop hoping ,esp to Winterset. So guess we need to come up with some great ideas.  I can't hardley wait .Wish it was sooner...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Sun, Nov 7 2010 11:23 AM

Barbara

You can add me as a question....if Marge comes I may be able to come with her.  I just have to wait and see at this time.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,843
Points 248,964
Barbara replied on Sun, Nov 7 2010 12:20 PM

Okay Nana, I 'll add you to the list. Hope you can make it.Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Nana:
if Marge comes I may be able to come with her.

Oh you think you would be able to stand that much time in a car with me??  I tend to make frequent stops to keep the kinks out of the old bones so it may take us 1 1/2 to 2 days to get there.  :o} 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Sun, Nov 7 2010 6:37 PM

Marge

I tend to need frequent stops myself....LOL>   I think we would make it.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Mon, Nov 8 2010 8:54 PM

Barbara:

PD, thanks for the suggestion ,thats 2 ideas , There is also the muesum  in Lincoln Neb,that may be a possibility, just trying to get idea right now ...Barbara

I vote for Lincoln.  They have 3 quilt shops, too (at least) and several wineries.  Cosmic Cow is a fun quilt shop!  I'm in Council Bluffs so I would definitely be in for that.  I've been to the quilt museum once and loved it.  They change their displays every couple months.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Mon, Nov 8 2010 9:00 PM

Eileen:

Nancy, the place in Ankeny looks like fun.  They do allow up to 45 people, so it wouldn't be "exclusively" ours, but they provide some food & some supplies, which would really help us out - no need to lug all our stuff :-)  At $50/person for all that sewing space, food & supplies, you can't beat it!

As Barbara says, now we have to explore housing options.  DH might want to come with me, as his dad was born & raised in Iowa & still has family there.  He could poke around while I sew, sew, eat, gab & sew!

Have other people had a chance to check this place out?

Ames also has a nice quilt shop and there are several in the Des Moines area.  My sister lived in Ankeny for several years.  It's a nice little town.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,843
Points 248,964
Barbara replied on Tue, Nov 9 2010 7:35 AM

Jennie, we hve pretty much decided on  walnut Place Retreat in Des Moines, please check out the web site I have listed below. There are some members that are bringing guest and or spouses ans are opting to stay in hotels  but the house itself will sleep 12, What I need to know from you is am I added you to the guest list.? We would love to have you attend.  Barbara

Walnut Place Retreat 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,843
Points 248,964
Barbara replied on Tue, Nov 9 2010 8:21 AM

Hi everyone,I have sent off an email to Nicole,at  Walnut Place ,about our getting it for the second week in September, thursday thru Sunday,I know there will be a deposit to pay for renting this place and I will pay it  but I hope everyone will split the cost with me once we find out for sure how much it is .Between all of us it should not be very much. I hope this works out and we all have a great time. Remember to keep thinking about what kinda things we want to work on while there and other activites we want to do ...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 3,195

In case you gals like a little wine, there are a couple of wineries in the Des Moines area that would make for nice breaks from quilting. Lots of great things to do in the area and you'll be very close to the Valley Junction area of West Des Moines.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Tue, Nov 9 2010 10:03 AM

I envy you all and hope you have a good time. 

Granny M

Page 12 of 13 (189 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use