Top 10 Posters

Midwestern Gals

Page 6 of 13 (189 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 188 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,801
Points 248,304
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 24 2010 8:42 AM

Ladies, Ihave found a really nice Bed and Breakfast in Urbandale,Iowa  which is a suburb of Des Moines. I would like for you to check the web site and get back with me  on your opinions,of this place, It is close to Winterset and there are also shops in Des Moines. Thanks Barbara

WWW.WellsBed&Breakfast,com

ps ,when I tried to pull up site  would not go ,not sure what I did wrong ,but you can type it in . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,475
Points 24,120

I was able to get on the site by typing in www.wellsbedandbreakfast.com. It actually is beautiful, but all the rooms are a little pricey. Just my opinion. And I didn't really see a room we could sew in. But it might be worth a phone call to see if we can get a better rate with a group, and see if they do have a room we can use for sewing.  We would have to share beds, which is not a problem for me. It's worth considering.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,801
Points 248,304
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 24 2010 8:49 PM

Elaine, Ito thought it alittle pricey,after thinking about it.I will continue to look and see what else is avaiable.We have time. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Oct 24 2010 8:57 PM

I wonder if we could email Maryann or Liz themselves and ask if there is a quilt retreat center anywhere near their shop.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,801
Points 248,304
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 24 2010 9:01 PM

Nancy, I have thought about that , I think it would be a good idea .I did speak to a gal in the office last week and mentioned that we were going to do this,She thought is was great. I think i'll try and do that and see what they have to say...i'll let everyone know. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Oct 24 2010 9:13 PM

I was Googling quilt retreat centers in Iowa and came across this shop just a bit north of Des Moines that offers a quilt retreat at a local elementary school 4 weekends a year.  Maybe we could all sign up together for one of their retreats and kind of take over the place...   :-)

http://www.quilterscupboardiowa.com/quilt-retreats.htm

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,801
Points 248,304
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 24 2010 9:19 PM

Nancy ,that sounds great. We would still have to find a place to stay, but  I'm thinking this might work. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Sun, Oct 24 2010 9:40 PM

Nancy, the place in Ankeny looks like fun.  They do allow up to 45 people, so it wouldn't be "exclusively" ours, but they provide some food & some supplies, which would really help us out - no need to lug all our stuff :-)  At $50/person for all that sewing space, food & supplies, you can't beat it!

As Barbara says, now we have to explore housing options.  DH might want to come with me, as his dad was born & raised in Iowa & still has family there.  He could poke around while I sew, sew, eat, gab & sew!

Have other people had a chance to check this place out?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Oct 24 2010 9:41 PM

Here's a camp for kids that rents out their facilities to adult groups.  It looks to be about 10 miles from Winterset.

http://www.wildwoodhillsranch.com/conferences.htm

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Sun, Oct 24 2010 9:46 PM

There seem to be a couple of clusters of hotels in Ankeny, one of which is just west ot 35 off of 1st, not far from the shop (not sure how close the shop is to where the retreats are held) - here's a link to the map & list (I did the search on Google):

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&expIds=17259,25980,26637,26992,27095,27154&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&cp=10&wrapid=tljp1287974379500016&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=hotels+ankeny+iowa&fb=1&gl=us&hq=hotels&hnear=Ankeny,+IA&ei=9e3ETJ6nMp-QnwfpyeXuCQ&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CD0QtgMwAA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Sun, Oct 24 2010 9:59 PM

barbara, one of the latest quilt mags had an ad that listed several retreat sites inthe midwest.   it's pouring rain right now and i am in my jammies, but tomorrow i will hunt it down and give you the info    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,801
Points 248,304
Barbara replied on Mon, Oct 25 2010 7:07 AM

Eileen, I will keep this info for back up , but I think the Wildwood retreat that Nancy mention is going to be our best selection.I'm going to call them and find out prices and check to see wehn we could use the facilities. I will get back with everyone to let you all know.Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,801
Points 248,304
Barbara replied on Mon, Oct 25 2010 7:19 AM

Nancy ad Eileen,I looked up this Wildwood ,I think we found our spot. I'm going to call and see about cost   and whats avaiable . I know most have stated that they prefer next year  so I'm gonna chekc for late Sept or early OCT. I hope everyone agrees .I will get back with you all on this . Next I want to thank You both for your input ,I have been looking but Had not run across either of these area. ,Team work  really helps...BArbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,801
Points 248,304
Barbara replied on Mon, Oct 25 2010 8:55 AM

Ladies ,I have sent a message to a Ms,Juli at Wildwood for information on the camp.I will let everyone know what I hear back from her. I hope this will work out it appears to be what we are looking for  and it is close to Winterset..  If any of you would prefer not to be at this type of place please let me know and we'll all work to figure out something else..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,801
Points 248,304
Barbara replied on Mon, Oct 25 2010 9:13 AM

Ladies,I just heard back from  Juli at Wildwood,  they are going to be doing construction  on the camp at the times we wanted to attend . So guess we have to try another location. I'll get back with you again...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 6 of 13 (189 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use