Math is a four letter word.

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
605 Posts
Points 12,675
Prairie Dog posted on Thu, Oct 7 2010 9:50 AM

I need help, please.  I am making a quilt with 6" finished nine patch squares with solid block squares in between.  I want to set the strips on a diagonal BUT I will have to cut blocks in half diagonally.  Now, is there a special way not to loose the seam allowance amount  along the edge when I bind the quilt?  Or is it just something that has to happen?  I hope I worded this so you understand.  I am not using a pattern or book so I haven't got reference material, just all of your brilliant minds.  Thank you. 

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,709 Posts
Points 248,377
Thea replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 9:56 AM

Okay - if I understand correctly - you are setting your quilt on point?... and you need to cut the blocks?  may I ask why you have to cut the 9 patch squares - why not use setting triangles on the outside and leave your blocks whole?

Your seam allowance should be built in - a 6" finished is 6 1/2" unfinished so that you have 1/4" all the way around.

If you want to cut the blocks in half on the diagonal - the seam allowance would still be there.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 10:01 AM

Praire Dog

I don't understand why you are having to cut the blocks on the diagonal unless you are talking about the setting blocks on the outside rows.  Most of the setting triangles are a slightly bigger size.  I have seen somewhere that tells you how big those need to be,  I will try to find the site.

Vinton, Virginia

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 10:04 AM

Prairie Dog

Go to www.quiltbug.com    It gives you the formula as well as a table that tells you what size your setting triangles need to be to set blocks on point.  Hope this helps.  Once you go to the site click on learn in the left hand column.  Then scroll down the page to Setting quilt or block on point.  You will find all the info that you should need.  Good luck.

Vinton, Virginia

• Filed under:
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,709 Posts
Points 248,377
Thea replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 10:05 AM

Nana - the neatest tool for this is F&P setting triangles ruler - no more hunting for that piece of paper with the instructions for cutting - just get the ruler off the wall and it is all right there... an awesome tool they came out with... I think Marti Michell came out with one too but I use my F&P...

I am thinking she wants the block to go right to the edge - only reason I can see to cut them - I would set them with setting triangles to have them float but all the way to the edge works too.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 10:08 AM

Thea

I don't have the ruler.  I always use setting triangles when I do on point.   But if I understand the info correctly to use the block as the setting triangle I think some of the blocks are going to have to be bigger to be able to make the triangles the correct size.   I don't know for sure though.

Vinton, Virginia

• Filed under:
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,842 Posts
Points 248,959

Nana and Thea you two are amazing ,I know that adjusting is part of quilting ,but to be able to tell someone by just reading about a quilt ,well that is just beyond words.You two are my heros's .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 10:15 AM

Barbara

Thanks for the compliment but I don't consider myself anyones hero.  I just try to help when I can.  You are really sweet.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,709 Posts
Points 248,377
Thea replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 10:17 AM

Nana - I would have to get paper out and cut it to try it out - I know when we make setting triangles for this specific reason that we do make them bigger but for me that is so I can have the quilt itself float - and have that border of those pieces all the way around.  I know that I have done a quilt that we made the blocks and cut them in half and it did work - but gosh I can't remember if we made them bigger or not...

I also think maybe when we did this that we just went around the edges and trimmed them off and it seems to me that we cut them 1/4" past the center point and the rest was trash - so yes thinking on that I would say if you want to use the whole block you would have to make it bigger by I would say 1/2' - I would think that if you made some 6 1/2" finished that that would work -

But I would get out some paper and play with it to see if it would work - cut some 6 1/2" and some 7" and cut in half - one on the diagonal and another draw the diagonal line and cut 1/4" to one side and see if that works.

Gosh you guys are making my brain work 2 days in a row...teehee...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,709 Posts
Points 248,377
Thea replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 10:20 AM

nana - remember the snowman quilt I did that was quilt as you go - i made that with that setting triangle ruler - and I think that those setting blocks were made slightly bigger - my brain is slow this morning...but it is all on that ruler and I love it - one that I would recommend to anyone!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 10:23 AM

Thea

I know on the chart for on point with a block that finishes at 6 in.  it takes a 9 in block to make the setting triangles.  But it has been a while since I did on point so I would have to get out my pencil and paper and start playing to see if smaller would work.  I am with you....my brain isn't up to all this thinking this morning...LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• Filed under:
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,709 Posts
Points 248,377
Thea replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 10:30 AM

Nana - I agree - but I always get out paper - it is cheaper then fabric to play with and draw it out - I think the 9" block is right if you want to cut right on the diagonal - but you can cheat on that and make a smaller block if you cut that 1/4" off of the diagonal... you have waste though as you can only use that one side... so depends on if you mind having all that waste...

we are getting our brains to wake up aren't we.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 11:33 AM

Thea

Add tags so that we can find these again.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,654 Posts
Points 82,429

I have to get painting and I can't tear myself away from here today. You guys are hitting on all my hang ups today. I have bins filled with 4" squares. I must have thousands of them. I want to do make simple backings with squares in squares or settings but could not figure out how to make the correct size for the settings or triangles or are they the same thing? I have the charts and the math and my eyes glaze over. So there is a ruler available?????????? I'm getting closer and closer to that poor house.

Thea~It's worth getting the ruler?

North of Boston MA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
605 Posts
Points 12,675

I KNEW YOU GIRLS WOULD HELP ME!!!!  Thank you Thea and Nana.  The nine patches will be 6.5 inches before I put them in the quilt.  And if I purchase a setting triangle thingy I could make sure that the solid blocks are on the outside of the quilt.  Right?  Bingo bango. . . this should work.  Thank you thank you thank you.  

Yes, Diane, another gadget.  Life is great, who needs money?

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use