Top 10 Posters

pre-washing (common question I'm sure)

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 70 Replies | 16 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
9 Posts
Points 855
Jenn posted on Thu, Sep 30 2010 5:54 AM

so prewashing

I have heard both, people do it and people don't

I learned to sew on my own, from reading books and some advise from my MIL, and everything I was told was prewash, so as soon as I get my fabrics (even precuts) I wash them.

Now I'm finding with quilting a lot of people don't pre wash....I know it's really a personal decision, but I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on this, what you did and what your experience has been.  

If you don't pre wash a quilt.....is there a lot of distoration after the wash with shrinking?  Thanks

• | Post Points: 260

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,540 Posts
Points 46,089

I also wanted to add that I was all my quilts in the washer and dryer and have for years and never had a problem..the only things I haven't washed are fusible wall hangings..but my Mum hand washed one and it was fine she said...they do get crinkly but I like that look..no distortion tho

Ontario, Canada

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,383 Posts
Points 360,872
Kris replied on Fri, Oct 1 2010 10:29 AM

I downloaded a pattern from fat quarter shop and the instructions say "we do not recommend pre-washing fabrics". I've never seen it spelled out in pattern instructions before. Interesting.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
203 Posts
Points 3,135

I have prewashed fabrics most of the time.  But if I receive a kit that is a wall hanging and won't be washed as often as a quilt, I now don't prewash.

I have never prewashed batting on wall hanging.  But I have for large quilts.

thought I would share my information.

from Minnesota

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,249 Posts
Points 172,978
Marie replied on Fri, Oct 1 2010 7:49 PM

Kris:
It irons nicely with my starch alternative.

Kris, what's your starch alternative?

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 5

If the batting is warm and natural, I usually toss the cut piece in the dryer with a wet bath towel.  It takes the fold lines out and plumps the batting.  I find this much easier to do if the batting is wrinkled.  I dry it for about 7-10 minutes.  Remove immediately.  Ready to go.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,383 Posts
Points 360,872
Kris replied on Fri, Oct 1 2010 10:08 PM

Marie:

Marie,

it's that Mary-Ellen's Best Press Stuff they sell at quilt shops. Comes in many scents.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,698 Posts
Points 436,355
Nana replied on Fri, Oct 1 2010 10:40 PM

Kris:

Marie:

Marie,

it's that Mary-Ellen's Best Press Stuff they sell at quilt shops. Comes in many scents.

Kris

I love that stuff.  I think my favorite is Cherry Blossom.  My whole downstairs smells good after I have been ironing.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,540 Posts
Points 46,089

I like the lavender scented Best Press...it is lovely...and such a fine mist and it lasts a long time...so much prettier than the regular old laundry spray starch

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,383 Posts
Points 360,872
Kris replied on Fri, Oct 1 2010 11:26 PM

Helly,

lavender is my favourite too. I bought a gallon of it from Jo-Ann's when thy had a sale.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,654 Posts
Points 82,429

This is such a good thread. So many different ways to do things. I don't pre-wash. I will test reds and browns to make sure they don't run. I don't spray starch either but that sounds like a good idea. When do you spray starch? I press out the fold in the fabric prior to cutting so would I spray starch then? is it just a light spray?

North of Boston MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,698 Posts
Points 436,355
Nana replied on Sat, Oct 2 2010 11:38 AM

Diane

I don't prewash but I do press my fabrics before I start cutting.  I spray mine with Best Press at that time and it makes the fabrics smell so good and they are so nice to work with.   I also sometimes spray the finished blocks before their final pressing.  It is a lite mist and doesn't have any aerosol in it.  Smells really good.   It is almost like misting with water before we had steam irons.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,540 Posts
Points 46,089

I have started using the best press on the final block pressing also..just feels so set and smells lovely..and lavender is a calming scent

Ontario, Canada

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,654 Posts
Points 82,429

Thanks Ladies~

It seems like I will have to buy some lavendar spray starch. Does it come in cinnamon?????? That's my favorite.

North of Boston MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,773 Posts
Points 247,869

Helly, I agree I love the lavender scent.Faultless also has it in Lavender,which is where I first found it a t the grocery store. It smells so good  uhmmmmm. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,383 Posts
Points 360,872
Kris replied on Sat, Oct 2 2010 8:26 PM

Remember that bugs like starch so if you have to store your pre-washed fabrics it a no no. Also if you use the starch method for appliqué you need to wash those blocks.

Starch alternative is better.

Page 2 of 5 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use